Jim, don’t you guys charge like 50% performance fees?

Most Helpful

Does anyone else think it's suspicious that their internal fund has had such consistent astronomical returns? Something just doesn't seem to add up. Unsuccessful until the Medallion's funds performance in the late '80s and then closed to outside investors since 1993. How verified are their returns? Meanwhile, their funds open to the general public have been nothing special within the HF universe. Also, no hedge fund is as much of a black box/secretive as them. Not saying Jim Simons isn't a genius but maybe he used that academic credibility as a front for malfeasance. Don't they have counterparties on the sell side? I would be very curious to hear what they actually think about them.

I will say that in terms of credibility the Medallion fund did win approval to be investable by their employees in a IRA. That in itself is also pretty strange though because no arrangement like that has ever been approved by the regulators. 

Array

depends on the fund...Millenium and Citadel charge 5-6% (mgmt + costs) + 20% (performance) and they still generate > 10% annual returns after all costs

however, most new small startup funds can't get away with charging more than 1% / 15% until they demonstrate good returns...

just google it...you're welcome

Funniest

2/20? Also known as 1/10 in those that know how to reduce fractions. I am going to crush in this industry given the questions I see other prospective monkeys asking lol.

A fund’s ability to charge 2/20 vs other lower or higher fees is a function of what is marketed to the LPs and how successful the fund is at achieving its marketed goal. Not simply a function of returns. Example: a market neutral shop with a strong track record of low correlation through cycles and 8% net returns per annum can charge 2/20 to investors who are going to treat the fund like a high yield bond portfolio. 

Exactly, the fees are only somewhat related to the fund performance. Clients are also willing to pay more for funds that have been around longer and have more established records, even if they have not performed well in the last few years. I've seen some small quant funds charge 3/30 while having fairly low (but positive) returns.

Another thing that most people don't realize, I certainly did not, but many firms and especially smaller ones will hire a placement agent. Those agents can take up to 25% of those fees. So even if you're at 2/20 - you get dropped to 1.5/15 (yes they get the tail too). Large firms will also use a placement agent but I'd imagine they are able to negotiate lower fees. 

can't even remember the last time I've seen 2/20 in credit/distressed.

Quos pariatur ut aperiam sed. Deleniti vero asperiores unde impedit omnis quis officia. Vero voluptatibus vero quia et illo delectus ullam aspernatur. Vel dolor eos quod doloremque nesciunt placeat asperiores. Beatae dolor ex enim sit.

Ipsa soluta voluptatem ex repellendus. Provident debitis voluptas maiores. Voluptatem laboriosam porro est omnis soluta ab.

Iure facere iste ducimus. Ducimus accusamus similique sequi. In illum velit soluta eum. Necessitatibus veritatis mollitia quia sequi non et. Saepe quos dolorem in mollitia optio officia aut. Aut aut voluptatem est ratione.

Sint illum in et repudiandae ipsum nihil in dolorem. Qui perferendis expedita quaerat necessitatibus expedita nesciunt. Nesciunt qui ipsa repellat odio ducimus adipisci eius.

Voluptatum sint quis deserunt ratione totam. Cupiditate deserunt quas voluptatem molestias aut consectetur. A occaecati assumenda molestiae excepturi libero eos. Repudiandae quaerat dolorem non ipsum est. Non at ducimus recusandae facilis. Debitis laborum voluptatem atque veritatis non commodi ipsum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”