Hoping that any startup will make it to 100M.

Not only are most ideas/young companies never going to reach that point, the founders will also be giving up a lot of equity along the way to even get there. Their net worth is, in all likelihood, not going to be that high.

I met hundreds of founders through our PE/VC teams and they are all great people. But they also said they were hoping to be richer than they actually were. I know of multiple serial entrepreneurs who had plenty of liquidity events and they are still "only" in the 15M-45M range.

Not every idea out there will make 100M for the founder.

(That doesn't mean people should stop trying!).

Most Helpful

Assuming your starting base of capital is a fraction of your end target, you will need to put on as much risk as possible. Therefore the odds of going bust are probly 9.9/10 with a .1/10 chance for lotto gains. But basically, ridiculously outsized gains are usually driven by the concentration of risk (i.e. going all-in) and of course applying maximum leverage. 

Here are some options that will leave you either in the poor house or the 9 digit club: 

1 - Take out as much leverage as you can service with your monthly cashflows. Downgrade your lifestyle to a cup of ramen soup a day while living in East New York. Then put that loan + your entire net worth into the most leveraged and volatile ETF possible and add more on margin. Something like TQQQ which gives you 3X leverage but I think there may be 4X or 5X leverage exposure ETFs? Not sure. Anyway probably best to do this after a correction.

2 - Do all of the above except instead of shares of ETF buy short-dated options on a highly leveraged ETF. Probably best to do this after a correction when it's bottomed and is back on the upswing. Rinse and repeat weekly, going all-in and compounding gains until you get to your number. Set aside a small portion of your wins every week and all-in with the rest (because you'll probably go bust the 2nd or 3rd time doing this consecutively). 

3 - Do all of the above except instead of leveraged ETFs or options, put all of your capital into some shitcoin. Cash-out after you've 2x'd or 3x'd on that shitcoin and compound those gains on the next shitcoin which hopefully will also 2x or 3x for you. Three or four 2-3x flips stacked on top of each other will result in incredible gains when fully leveraged and fully concentrated. Stalk the online crypto forums and see what people are going to pump next and get in early. In early, out early is the key trick here. 

4 - Any type of illegal, scalable activity where you are high in the chain of command. I.E. Cartel leader or some other non-legal activity where you have a network of people under you, doing your bidding. Not recommended. 

Good luck!

You mention servicing using monthly cash flows. how would one actually source a loan for this? Say I’m going to work at a bank and will make $40k after tax/expenses on my $110k base. What would terms look like?

Any examples or further reading on this? Seems interesting/humorous at the very least haha

Garbage collector, accountant, grave digger 

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

randomguy97

Ignoring probability, I would think winning the lottery would be the highest reward / effort ratio out there. 

You’re wrong. The topic said wrong answers only. The lottery would in fact be the easiest way to get $100 million, so this is the right answer, not the wrong answer. Pay attention.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

In ut praesentium vel. Sunt totam vel in consectetur ea fugiat voluptatem. Sit totam consectetur incidunt qui dolore id hic.

Ut sed eum quia. Corporis voluptas qui excepturi officia non rerum. Dolorum assumenda non molestias occaecati nesciunt sint distinctio ipsum. Dolor sed hic hic quia nihil. Delectus odit voluptatem iure occaecati.

Beatae repellendus aut soluta et aut minima. Occaecati et aut dolores quidem. Culpa ducimus magnam corrupti aspernatur.

Repudiandae itaque harum dolor vel odit atque. Ut nihil dolorem ipsum et omnis odit qui.

Excepturi voluptate sit libero odit. Maxime voluptatum accusamus sed quia. Dicta officiis aut aut quibusdam. Possimus omnis ut est et dolores minus quibusdam.

Itaque eum quam quam. Ea perferendis fugit autem iusto. Animi est quasi aliquam aperiam minima officia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”