Energy Rodeo 2011 - Message from Monty09

I wanted to take a minute to let Patrick and the community of WSO know one thing…Thank you.

As I walked into the conference room at 11:40 a.m. yesterday I saw my vision realized, I had accomplished my goal. I saw a room of students and professionals formed in over 8 mini circles listening, learning and above all…laughing. I took a second to take it all in and smiled

The Energy Rodeo could not have been possible without the help of a few people who received no credit or mention. You know who you are but I wanted to take a second to and say, “ We did it”. Thank you Patrick for sponsoring our breakfast, but more importantly encouraging me to try to make this event happen, it does not go unnoticed

Thank you students and professionals for taking a chance on a unknown. Thanks for believing in the mission of the Energy Rodeo which is to inform and introduce careers, companies and professionals

CaptK, Ant,Gekko and myself worked on the agenda at 2AM Saturday morning in the dining room of my home. No one at any moment mentioned the hour or amount of time it would take to get done. Thank you guys

Thank you TrailMix, Kimbo and Happypants for allowing me to show you a little more of what Houston has to offer

Thank you Midas and Eddie for supporting the vision of the Energy Rodeo

Above all I want to thank the community, without you this event would never happen

FYI
I started to work on Energy Rodeo 2012 this morning. Hope to see you there

Monty09

Great event and could not have been any more impressed. To all aspiring monkeys, YOU MUST attend this event if at all possible next year. Connections were made that would otherwise been impossible. I met many faces behind some infamous names on WSO and will keep in contact with these crazy people.

I'm glad it was a hit, hopefully I'll get to be there next year!

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

I too would highly recommend the Rodeo for those who can make it next year. While I'm not directly tied to energy finance (yet), I am in the energy industry. It was valuable to hear and internalize the advice of industry professionals and get a feel for what it takes to be successful regardless of your age, background, etc.

It was obvious that the initial vision for the scope of the event had to be adjusted, with energy firms, recruiting firms, and graduate programs knocking on the door. The demand and the number of people involved definitely bode well for next year as I'm sure Monty will be able to scale up the event beyond what he probably perceived possible this year.

Hats off - it was a great idea, and an even better event. Looking forward to the next one.

Great event. Monty, I think we I learned more in the 20 minutes of you writing and explaining things on a napkin at buffalo wild wings than I've learned in most of my business classes in undergrad (if any thing, for the practical usage of the information.) We already have our sophomores asking who will be going next year. Thanks for a great experience and a great opportunity to meet many professionals and fellow aspiring monkeys alike.

Hey, ...Sounds like a great event. I'm up in Calgary's energy sector and interested in Tulanes Energy trading program. Did they present or something like that? Very curious....Thanks

brendo1:
Hey, ...Sounds like a great event. I'm up in Calgary's energy sector and interested in Tulanes Energy trading program. Did they present or something like that? Very curious....Thanks

Yes, they did

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

If it ever comes to New York, I will be sure to attend. I have heard nothing but good things.

Men are so simple and so much inclined to obey immediate needs that a deceiver will never lack victims for his deceptions. -Niccolo Machiavelli

Really regret not being able to go this year, will make next year since I won't be abroad. Looking forward to learning more about such an interesting sector, also great to see people on this site come together to make something great happen.

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

Definitely a great weekend - even though I don't work in energy, I still got a ton out of the event. Met a bunch of cool people, some faces behind names, and had a fantastic time out at dinner (awesome Texas steaks) and the bars (awesome Texas girls) on Saturday night with the Energy Rodeo crew. I also think we were able to do a real service for a lot of college kids that are trying to break into banking and trading and needed some advice. Looking forward to next year.

- Capt K - "Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham

Monty clutch like Jordan in his prime, good work great event

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

Just got back home and wanted to check in. Let me give you all my opinion on things.

I always knew it was going to be a great event. I've talked with Gene through the whole process so there was never any doubt. As the event got closer my expectation continued to rise. The interview in the paper was simply amazing, the speaking engagements, the constant working and promoting his idea, everything. 24/7 he was working on this and it kept growing and growing.

The morning of the event I got maybe 3 hours sleep. I showed up at the venue and was extremely excited. Promptly at 8am they started coming. Now throughout the process, the hopes were maybe 50 people. Then it grew to maybe 100. Then 150. Well the doors opened and they started coming. After a while I was shocked. Holy crap! Just a tad shy of 200 people.

Let me tell you, 200 people is A LOT. I was prepared to speak to 50 people. 200 made me a little nervous lol.

Gene was a great host, running around, talking to everyone that came, being the consummate host.. All of the speakers were great. Everything was relevant towards undergrads other people looking to break into the energy space. The panelists were on point, very appropriate for the topic.

You had bankers, PE guys, ER guys, traders, higher up at a BB, program directors at area schools, experienced head hunters, etc. These were just panelists and speakers. In the crowd you had MBA's, MSF's, Undergrads, people from all over the country, working professionals. I met and got cards from people from 5 different firms myself.

I had the honor and privilege of being on two panels. Hopefully some of my insights and answers helped those in attendance. Myself, as well as all the other panelists all stayed and answered every question asked. I met a lot of smart and talented people.

This, as is, was ridiculously valuable.

Then we had steaks. Full house. About 30 people all eating together. At this table were at least 10 industry professionals. Talk about a golden opportunity. And the food was great.

Still not enough?

We all went out afterwards. Open invite to anyone who wanted to come.

Guys, if you want to network, this was a perfect example of a networking cornucopia.

This event blew me away. I will be there for the next one, without a doubt. Only difference is I will bring some of my industry friends with me to add to it.

For those who attended, great meeting you and you bought a deep out of the money option that paid off handsomely.

For those who didn't come, you missed out and the next one will be even better!

Congrats on the success. It takes a lot to act on the entrepreneurial spirit. I wish I had attended..

Any chance that it was video recorded or mic'd? Maybe a podcast?

If not - you should add this in. I know you would get a tonnn of web viewers.

GOB:
Congrats on the success. It takes a lot to act on the entrepreneurial spirit. I wish I had attended..

Any chance that it was video recorded or mic'd? Maybe a podcast?

If not - you should add this in. I know you would get a tonnn of web viewers.

happypants wanted to record but we ran out of time to get to it. It was a very busy night and morning. Will def put on the agenda for next year.

Best Response

I second everything that ANT said about the event, very spot on about the networking opportunities for everyone, college students as well as us guys/girls that are already working in the industry. I flew out a few days early and got to hang out with Midas, Monty, and Happypants. Monty was a great host and showed us the area and some of the restaurants around town as well as Specs (google it, its the first thing that comes up). It was especially interesting to meet the people behind the WSO names, all are from different backgrounds and a lot of good conversation and idea sharing was had. I have to also hand it to the college students, 95% of you carried yourselves very well and came in with the right attitude and curiousity, (I say 95% because one kid really pissed me off and wouldn't leave me alone).

All in all it was a great event and I hope that everyone feels that they benefiited from this as I have.

Toronto:
Great job, I wish I could attend. I can see this getting huge in a couple of years. Huge.

You mean next year...right?

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

If you have a large group of people attending an event some airlines will give you a group discount. The problem with doing it for this is that you have a bunch of people coming from all different places and I think they usually only give that kind of discount to groups travelling together.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

If you have a large group of people attending an event some airlines will give you a group discount. The problem with doing it for this is that you have a bunch of people coming from all different places and I think they usually only give that kind of discount to groups travelling together.

I would really be interested in attending next year if I could find the time. Definitely am sorry that I was abroad while this was happening, but what can you do. Congrats to all of you guys and I'm happy that this worked out. It's been a long time coming with a lot of planning and hard work along the way, so you guys deserve it.

Just wanted to echo what ANT and Trailmix have already said.

I’m at a crossroad in deciding the next chapter of my life and viewed this event as an opportunity to learn a bit more about the energy industry. Going into it I wasn’t sure what to expect. Afterwards, it exceeded all my expectations.

With regards to networking, the event included professionals from all walks of life. Bankers, PE, ER, S&T, Schedulers, Risk, Recruiting, Higher Ed…you name it. A majority were already in the industry, others were trying to break in. There were analysts and even a BSD. The point is that if you made an effort, you left the event with a wealth of knowledge and hopefully developed some contacts.

It was also my first time in Texas, so getting a chance to see what Houston had to offer added to the experience. SPECS +1…. For more on this, look into Rodeo Report, part 2.

With that said, I just wanted to say that Monty went above and beyond in putting this event together. Even though it was successful, he was still going around and asking for feedback in hopes of making it bigger/better next time around. Looking forward to the next one, don’t miss it if you have a chance to go.

Congrats and thanks again.

Really hope I can make it next year. Monty09 is one hell of a guy and had a TON of great advice to offer in our talk. Seriously, I wouldn't place as much emphasis as hitting up the Energy Rodeo to meet a bunch of industry professionals as I would on just getting a chance to talk to Monty09 and hearing things from his perspective...it's a shitload different than most of what you get on WSO.

Fugit repellendus ut iure. Facere aliquam repellat consectetur qui ullam est. Ratione tempora explicabo consequatur quo temporibus et est corrupti. Dicta dolore et nihil quisquam.

Voluptatum molestiae reprehenderit et autem. Odit eum et modi delectus quia. Velit iste eum aliquam ea. Unde et ex eos.

Qui natus ut aliquam id. Est ipsa totam quam rem. Dignissimos ratione cumque quia hic dolores molestiae aliquam. Quia qui et ab sed sed impedit. Occaecati consequatur ut vel quibusdam vitae. Suscipit enim ab nesciunt totam dolor non dignissimos sit. Quidem dolor aut molestiae consectetur ipsa.

Impedit fugit soluta omnis repudiandae aut quisquam molestiae. Impedit animi qui et aut. Assumenda nam et ut ea.

Autem voluptas sed sit modi aliquam eos aliquid. Rerum quos rerum a soluta expedita voluptatum.

Quisquam minus dolorum nam quae. Itaque dolorem consequuntur veritatis voluptas dolores magni aliquam. Et fugit quod sint est et numquam. Est cumque et sit ut fugiat minus facere natus. Autem eum harum quidem et molestiae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”