Burner account. Thinking about exiting my lower bulge IB Associate coverage role to a corporate job (finance, development, strategy, or any mix thereof). I've spent 2+ years here, top bucket, did my MBA at top 15 program. Open to most industries, but want to stay in NYC. Have a few questions below, but happy to answer any questions y'all might have.
- Does anyone have tips on how to initiate the process? I've noticed a lot of the HH inbounds I get are for buyside or lateral moves. Is it as simple as just resume dropping and networking with whomever I happen to know at the company?
- What are interviews like for candidates in my situation? Imagine it might be more technical / deal experience related for CD, but not sure about CF/CS roles.
- Pay expectations? Realize this will be all over the map but was looking at page 8 of this: 2018 compensation report Seems like 175 + 20% is in the park?
- Does it make sense to time up around bonus? Would rather not walk away from $100-150 if possible, but realize this job market is much thinner than if working on a lateral move where that accrued bonus may be included in comp.
- Does title matter? I've seem Sr. Associate through Sr. Manager roles that seem like I have the right experience. Obviously will be company to company, but just not sure what I should be looking for or if it even matters.
- With respect to CF / CD / CS, it seems like a lot of places have some crossover between groups. Is there a good way to tell what it'll be like before going through networking / interview work?
- How long do you think an exit will take? I've seen others from my group lateral in what seems like a couple of weeks, buyside opportunities may take a bit longer. I don't have a good feel for these roles, however. I'd rather not stick around for VP...
Feel free to add others - know there are more of you out there.