Full-time non-SA IB recruiting timeline? Summer 2020 PE Internship → Investment Banking Analyst

I am currently a junior at a non-target and an incoming summer analyst at a private equity firm in NYC (~$30bn+ AUM). Typically, the firm does not hire right out of undergrad and after talking with some of the associates, there is no formal analyst program––leaving me to pursue full-time opportunities postgrad, hopefully in investment banking and in NY.

Was hoping to get a better idea of the hiring/recruiting timeline for entry-level analyst roles for people who aren't coming in through the summer analyst pipeline. I am targeting BB and EB firms, but am more than open-minded to MM and other types of investment banks. I unfortunately missed the SA cycle for most large i-banks and I know that the recruitment cycle is absurdly early.

I understand the bulk of analysts at BB and EB investment banks arise from their summer analyst classes, but I'm hoping to be able to find a spot left by the SAs who don't get return offers or didn't accept theirs. Thank you in advance for your insights!

Most Helpful

In my full-time recruiting experience, the banks went into a full on sprint during the first and second week following return offers. Timeline below:

• received my return offer on a Friday morning
  • the following Monday I sent emails informing my contacts of my full-time offer and informed them I was looking to switch city, group, and bank
  • Had very informal calls with 6 of the 7 bankers I emailed
  • Everyone I talked to had HR email with an informal superday invite (they designated it as an office visit)
  • My first superday was with my top choice bank/group on Thursday of that week
  • Received the offer Monday morning and cancelled my superdays with all the rest

Of all my networking emails, only one was with a warm connection and the rest were with associates/VPs I found on LinkedIn. Each appreciated that I knew what I wanted and already proved myself by receiving a full time offer. These banks were 1 Top BB (the one I accepted), 3 EBs, and 2 mid BBs. Although, it is worth mentioning these were regional offices in the city I was from, which allowed for me to prove my desire to be there full-time.

Can I ask when you first applied for FT roles and when you began networking for these positions? Currently in the stage of reconnecting with my existing network regarding my situation and reaching out to new individuals. Thank you!

Can confirm this. I didn't have a banking internship and was hired FT at a BB. You need to extensively network over the summer so that, if banks are doing incremental hiring because they didn't fill the class with returners (for whatever reasons), you are already on the radar.

I had a few super days in August, last one was in October.

I was wondering how you would approach networking if we're summering in IB this summer but our internship hasn't started (esepcially given that most banks have pushed back summer start dates to July)

Was in the same boat this time last year. Start networking as soon as possible. If you want to make it somewhere in nyc, take networking trips as soon as it’s safe to do so. Stay in consistent communication with the network you’re building all throughout the summer. I started interviewing mid august for smaller boutiques, but everything else picked up in September. Got my offer 2nd weekend of September, but things still went on and I had friends get offers in October / early November.

I get the whole “offers go to summer analyst” thing. It’s true, but this past year it was surprising how many spots were open. It definitely could be different though as I’d imagine the turnover rate as a whole is going to be lower (just speculating) given where we are economically. I’d say go for the EBs, but know they are absolutely the hardest banks to get into and they have very few spots.

I think it’s crucial you also cast a wide enough net if you really want to be in nyc. You could easily go to a good MM shop or industry specific boutique and lateral in a year. What you don’t want to do is barley consider them when you’re networking this summer and last minute start reaching out to them in the fall when you could have been building a relationship with them the whole summer. It’s the easiest way to come out of the process with nothing.

Keep your networking volume consistent, make people like you, and capitalize on any opportunity you’re given (don’t say something stupid, know your technicals, etc) and you can def make this happen. Don’t let the whole “I don’t go to a non target thing” get in your way. It’s definitely possible if you’re willing to grind hard enough and if you can put yourself in the best position possible. Best of luck

How do you go about networking for FT recruiting before your SA position even starts? I'm doing my SA this summer at a MM with a solid brand but not a top MM shop in a non-NYC city (think Lincoln, Cowen, etc) and hoping to lateral to a BB/EB in NYC. I'm at a target with a good GPA, but I didn't network well/enough for my SA position and that's why I ended up here.

The issue is that when people talk about FT recruiting, they always say to just 'use your network, inform your contacts that you previously talked to you got a return offer but are exploring other opportunities, etc'. I don't have a network at all from SA recruiting. Do I start reaching out to alumni from my school now? I'm worried it will come across in bad taste considering Coronavirus and the fact that I am recruiting before my SA position even starts. Theoretically, if I talked to someone who was friends with an MD at the bank I'm working at, I imagine I could get absolutely fucked. On the other hand, if I wait until after my SA when I (hopefully) have a return offer, can I reach out to someone I've never talked to before? What's the best way to approach this situation?

I imagine once you have your return, you can reach out to those in your alum network you've never spoken to. As long as you have a clear reason why, they'll understand the game and speak with you.

Ut ut et earum reiciendis fuga eos. Reiciendis odit molestias accusantium magni autem dolorum natus consequatur. Deserunt totam itaque numquam facere ut placeat enim.

Vel necessitatibus animi eligendi. Sunt quae quos eveniet enim dolorem in dolores.

Et cupiditate incidunt rem officiis quia et. Sapiente rerum voluptatibus debitis. Architecto non sunt iste nostrum. Velit voluptas excepturi consequatur dolore neque porro.

Nesciunt aliquid eius minima sint. Veritatis velit expedita iusto et. Optio incidunt accusantium quis dolorem consequatur quas expedita. Ut voluptatem ducimus dolorem molestias quos. Qui autem eligendi delectus voluptatibus.

Ducimus incidunt dolore nulla numquam. Dolores odio sit labore beatae. Qui aut facere dolor temporibus ratione minima. Eveniet quisquam porro molestias atque ut sint iste.

Amet tenetur facere ducimus sit. In ut vitae doloremque et. At quaerat ipsa modi voluptatem dolores aut.

Repellat ut facere totam qui et ea. Officia qui quo pariatur temporibus consequatur. Quas atque in voluptatem nobis vel id explicabo ex. Id impedit eius quia reiciendis. Debitis repellendus quia sunt aut repudiandae repudiandae asperiores aperiam. Laborum nisi cum placeat.

path less traveled

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”