GPA & Fortune 100 Correlation

Hi,

I'm a recent graduate from a target school and have been wondering how my GPA will affect my career.

My goal is to start with a FP&A position and eventually move up to a Corporate Strategy role.

My cum GPA is 3.6, and my major GPA is 3.3. Do I have a chance for Fortune 100 companies?

Thank you in advance.

Most Helpful

I was at an F200 A&D company in an FLDP that is sometimes mentioned on this forum as one of the better ones. Graduated with a 3.46. I got to participate in interviewing FLDPs that came after me, and I'd say the average GPA we saw was around 3.3-3.5. I don't think anyone cared about GPA as long as it was above 3.3.

You also say you wonder how your GPA will effect your career. The only time you should keep GPA on your resume is in your first 3ish years out of college, which is likely just one set of interviews. After that, it does not matter at all, except for getting into MBA programs.. which favor work experience anyway.

I challenge the fundamental assumption that you seem to be making- that the higher on the F500 list, the better. I look at the F100 list and see a few companies I've never even heard of (Tech Data, StoneX group, Plains GP holdings). Huge companies, but not a big brand presence unless you are in the area or in the industry I assume. At the same time you have Dean Foods, GameStop, and Dillards in the 400 range but everyone knows about those companies. All else equal, the higher on the list the better, but there is plenty to think about: office location (corporate office vs small satellite), industry (Do you want to be in Energy? or CPG?), brand recognition (Coke is better known than Mckesson, but is smaller), and most importantly: THE JOB. I'd take global FP&A at a F499 company over program finance/cost accounting at Boeing.

In short, if you're going for corporate, best to try to keep your GPA above a 3.5 and don't worry too much after that. I found there to be enormous diminishing returns to my time spent studying in terms of GPA after the 3.4-ish point.

I’ll be joining a F50 FLDP next year as a full time analyst and I think GPA in relation to the program is extremely dependent on the school/company relationship. I would say most/all of the interns I worked with had GPA’s over 3.4-3.5 but on average the nontargets had a higher GPA. There’s a clear preference to target schools, obviously, and that tends to play a bigger role in recruiting than anything else (IMO). 

If you’re applying to a company that has no presence on campus, you’re going to need a higher GPA to grab their attention, or an extremely good internship/experience on the resume. I was the first one from my University to work in the FLDP and would say my luck was a high-ish GPA (3.78) and an extremely relevant sophomore internship. 

Incidunt autem commodi sit sapiente eligendi odit quo. Recusandae molestiae molestiae veritatis et facere pariatur eveniet. Amet sunt inventore dolores. Sint voluptates illo sapiente impedit.

Rerum et quasi aut ut adipisci et enim. Pariatur quaerat ut distinctio placeat ex beatae. Accusantium veniam consequuntur enim qui rerum illo accusamus.

Illo et et doloremque voluptatem dicta corrupti voluptas. Saepe id deserunt mollitia illum totam nostrum. Nostrum odit placeat et. Voluptatibus quibusdam facilis autem consequatur reprehenderit nobis omnis. Commodi laborum ut earum assumenda repellat sit. Laudantium magnam quia inventore dolores expedita est vitae. Id sint vitae voluptas deserunt beatae eius.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”