Hi everyone. I have big concerns about my future and would like to ask the community for help.
First let me tell you about my background.
I have a bachelors degree in Accounting and Finance from a non target Eastern European university. I had a 1 year internship at a F500 company in accounting and a 10 month internship in the financial advisory department of a Big 4, mostly doing valuations. I was offered a FT role, but had I taken it, it would be hard to get out of my country to a city like London.
I desperately wanted to get a FT FO offer from a BB, which wasn't possible in my country as there are none. (think small Eastern European country in the adriatics). After applying online to many IB and S&T internships, of which I didn't even get an interview out of, I got a role in a top tier BB in Central/Eastern Europe outside my native country. This role is an analyst in the Valuation Control Group of the BB, mostly doing mark review, among other things you probably already now better than me.
Now I am thinking I made a mistake, so I have a few questions regarding the best steps to take to eventually land an FO gig, and I hope the good people of WSO can help me.
1) Is this a MO or BO role? It seems as a MO role but googling didn't give me a definite answer.
2) What are the best steps for me to take to secure a future in a FO role? Stay here for 6/12/18 months and try to move internally to a risk management position, try to find a boutique that would take me into a FO analyst role, quit the job and go back to my home country or do something else entirely? If I should stay, please indicate how long should I wait before looking for new offers elsewhere. B school is out of the question as I can not afford it.
3) What are the main things I should focus on if I want to have any chance of moving to a FO role like trading, did I make a giant mistake by accepting this?
4) I will learn a lot about various financial products, pricing and control, that's for sure, however, how transferable are these skills to a trading desk or any other kind of a FO role, not necessarily at a BB?
I really appreciate any help I could get, as I am really concerned I messed up my future, but the main reason I took this position was to get out of my shitty country. Now I am confused and unsure if I had made a right choice.
I am willing to do anything and everything to get where I wanna be, and am planning to take the CFA exam, but I want to make sure I am going in the right direction and not making cardinal mistakes that would destroy any chance of getting a FO role.
Thank you very much for your help.
Investment Banking Interview Course
- 7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. Crowdsourced from over 500,000 members.
- Technical, behavioral, networking, case videos, templates. All included.
- Most comprehensive IB interview course in the world.