HELP!! OFFER AT RISK :(

I am graduating this June with a signed offer at a boutique.

But I am most likely taking the rest of the year off and pushing my graduation back to 2023.
This is because a family member is suffering from COVID/health complications and my mental health has taken a hit as a result. Semester has been rough, and I don't feel ready to go into workforce, let alone banking.

Good news: the same office I am talking about is still hiring summer interns. Do you think they'll let me come in as an intern instead of FT, or will they renege on me because they think I'm bullshitting? Should I use another excuse? How do I navigate this?

Thanks guys, anything helps :)

Comments (4)

Nov 30, 2021 - 4:34am

I had thkihnt out a whole response but then at end saw Middle East is your location. Sorry bud i doubt there would be many intelligent contributions keeping that in mind here because the work culture, expectations and how things generally work Must be entirely different there from the US

Array
Most Helpful
Nov 30, 2021 - 8:50am

As above said, I don't know anything about how things work in the ME. What you're describing sounds like a good idea. If you have decided/know that you will graduate in '23, I guess starting FT in 22 is ruled out. So your options toward this boutique are to either (1) switch to the SA or (2) postpone your FT. What you're risking with (1) is just that you won't get the SA, but you can still find work for the summer and taking it off is not too bad either. With (2), it's that you won't have a FT role lined up for graduation in ~18 months which is not bad at all unless it is a job you're super stoked about. I have lots of unexpected changes to my internships and studies and it always works out in the end. If you lose this, you'll find something else. With more time to look, you'll become interested in other places, and you'll be going into recruiting more prepared. I think there's a good chance you'll get the SA too if you present it in a good way and you don't wait too long, but that's just my guess.

  • Intern in IB-M&A
Nov 30, 2021 - 10:31am

Thank you! I'm not in the ME haha I just made this throwaway account. Do you have any recommendations on how to frame my situation in a good way? I'm thinking just the standard stuff "due to extenuating circumstances…still interested in pursuing banking" etc.

Nov 30, 2021 - 12:37pm

Ut enim eos numquam. Qui vel omnis praesentium in tempore vel aut.

Quos pariatur excepturi unde odit et quam placeat. Qui et repellat nobis sed numquam. Dicta maxime aliquam aut sint qui quis. Voluptatum dolores molestiae quisquam hic velit ipsa. Ex ipsam architecto omnis totam deserunt necessitatibus.

Eum aut similique deserunt ea numquam. Omnis omnis vel ducimus. Et dolor optio qui nisi maxime ut tempora. Natus repudiandae eaque rem error autem sunt. Qui hic sunt fugiat similique. Temporibus incidunt ullam eius eos ab similique laboriosam. Reiciendis non voluptatem fugit nulla tempore ab nihil.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

January 2022 Investment Banking

  • Director/MD (5) $604
  • Vice President (20) $379
  • Associates (141) $239
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $154
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (15) $150
  • 1st Year Analyst (291) $142
  • Intern/Summer Associate (63) $143
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (223) $89