Horny Female Gym Teacher Makes $133,000 a year?!

Just ran across this article in the good ol' NYPost...

https://nypost.com/2018/07/16/gym-teacher-accused…

One thing not surprising about it: a teacher sleeping with a student. Read one of these every week. My dad said this NEVER happened when he was a kid (or at least it wasn't reported).

Two things that are surprising:
(1) This teacher isn't hot (seems like almost all of them are when I see their pics in the paper).

(2) This female teacher -- a PE teacher, mind you -- was suspended from her $133,000 A YEAR JOB! $133,000! This is more than most of us aspiring analysts are gonna make our first few years on Wall Street...

Maybe I'll head over to PEOasis web site.

Yeah, true. I was just astonished that a public school PE teacher made that kind of bank. And yeah, she obviously hasn't been making that since her mid 20's, but she also probably has a lot more job security there than a banker. Not saying I suddenly want to become a female PE teacher, I was just surprised...

It's not bad money for the hours it requires. But it's also what she earned as a 50 year old, in a ~25 year career.

Don't make the mistake that most do(specifically on this forum) that ever is black and white, IBD or bust. Is $133K good money. If your expenses are $132K (before tax) yes it is, if your expenses are $134K, it's still bad. On top of that, her job probably requires planning, has no stress, never takes it home with her and has summers off.

At the end of the day, just think of it as a cost benefit analysis. Also look at it as the grass is always greener. Do you want to work your ass off and get paid but maybe feel accomplished, or do you want to get paid reasonably well to babysit/watch kids with no ability play volleyball all day.

My wife is a teacher. They make good money in a lot of districts. Especially if you get a Masters and the longer you've been teaching, the more you make every year. She's making like $70K this coming year (3rd year with a Masters teaching SPED). I think the typical teacher is just really bad with money and the younger ones are generally moderately alcoholic. They're not the brightest people typically. And a lot of districts pay them only during the school year. So they run into serious budgeting issues. As in they never learn to do it.

heister: Look at all these wannabe richies hating on an expensive salad. https://arthuxtable.com/

Special Education. My brother has special needs and I can attest to his teachers being compensated like they're a cut above the rest. It's just one data point of a suburban east coast public school district, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Most Helpful

You must be in a good district, many also make bad money. My mom is a teacher with a masters as well in NM and makes like 40k. Its really bad out here. I know it is a similar situation in many south and SW states.

She teaches for Chicago Public Schools. MichaelScarn SPED is special ed. CPS is paid relatively well. She has friends working at charter schools making like $35K with longer hours. CPS union is pretty badass. If she were to go teach in the wealthy NorthWest suburbs / North Shore (where NorthWestern is located), she could make low six figures.

heister: Look at all these wannabe richies hating on an expensive salad. https://arthuxtable.com/

Yeah, salary is probably closer to $100-110k, but still nuts. My brother has a Master's degree, 15 years of experience, and teaches in the 2nd highest median income county in the entire USA, and is paid something like $60,000. Granted, he gets summers off, but still.

California is on the Puerto Rican path--where there is/will be a gigantic class of public employees paid for by very high private sector earners, and then the under class of non-government employees.

Array

$133K is a pretty good check. All she needed to do was leave the little boys alone, marry an adult, and she could be hitting the 200K HH income level. Even if you exclude benefits, I'm sure they're capturing at least $100k in salary.

In reality, even being single, that's enough for a cushy apartment in a swankier area, to afford a car, annual trips, and a decent savings account. To the people saying it's only good money if her expenses are less than the amount she earns... duh?

Odio reprehenderit repudiandae vitae nostrum voluptatibus quisquam. Rerum reprehenderit quae et quis natus velit optio. Repudiandae quisquam magnam praesentium repellendus neque tempore. Asperiores vero maiores incidunt adipisci repellat eius minima. Earum aut aperiam magnam saepe et et ullam.

Consequatur explicabo nesciunt culpa laudantium dicta modi modi libero. Corrupti et sequi cupiditate odit tenetur eius. Vero similique id ipsam velit in non omnis. At pariatur quaerat voluptas officiis.

Sed tenetur non sit id adipisci beatae. Voluptatibus aut sunt itaque omnis. Quas quam veniam sequi ut aut optio unde. Ut est iste debitis assumenda et. Et nostrum ipsa ea rem sunt. Adipisci natus hic quo asperiores occaecati in architecto dignissimos.

Nostrum pariatur iusto accusantium ab nostrum at sit. Veritatis consequatur corporis et eaque repellat quibusdam nobis occaecati. Quia repellendus quo ullam. Non officia quas ducimus earum labore sapiente.

Veniam et eos nam quis totam sunt excepturi. Sint excepturi minima minima laudantium necessitatibus.

Perferendis quas libero laboriosam recusandae officia voluptas. Qui tempora velit similique laudantium et sit.

Dolor est sed assumenda ducimus amet odit earum. Consequatur aspernatur amet quo aut dolores vero asperiores. Rem consectetur placeat alias.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”