So I successfully landed a temp role in compliance at a major investment bank. Although the work is interesting, its not ultimately where I wanted to be. I took this job because I really had no internships while I was getting my MBA. So now, I'll be working on landing a full time position with the IB.
- Would it be really hard to go from compliance into M&A side?
- I also have a trade support specialist job offer. Which one will offer me a better platform to make a transition into valuations etc?
Getting into M&A with No Experience
Moving into investment banking M&A with no relevant work experience is difficult. Here are some tips to help you break in:
- Leverage MBA network and career services to meet with alumni and possibly get interviews
- Work with a mentor to help shape and guide your career path
- Trade support may be better than compliance, but it may also take you away from IB contacts you need to make to move to M&A
- Use prior accounting experience to get an accounting or valuation associate position and then try for a lateral move into IB
- Research the career and try to meet with people who have made their way in with non-traditional backgrounds