I come from a non target school and I really want an analyst role at Houlihan Lokey 2020

Hi Monkeys,

I am currently a Senior at a non-target school in LA double majoring in Accounting and Computer information systems with a minor in Marketing and hold above a 3.5 GPA. I have worked in almost all business departments while in school, mixes between full time, part-time and internships but wasn't able to land any internships with any big name banks or firms. I'm also a licensed Realtor. I know the non-target school post is mentioned often, but I'm running out of cold calls, emails, linkedIn etc. prospecting options. I only went to a non target because I'm first generation college student and learned about banking in college.

I am currently residing in Los Angeles but will gladly move closer to the firm if i need to. I'm sure I'll need to. I am highly driven and have a strong passion for finance. I greatly look forward to the opportunity to be challenged by such long hours and an awesome learning curve. Houlihan Lokey currently has a Trojan Talk at SC today but I don't think I'll be able to get in. Even if I fixed the checking ID problem ( I could find a way) the waiting list is already as long as can be with the event booked.

I am highly driven and professional but also someone you'd choose to get dinner with after a day of being crammed with work. You want someone whose hard working but also fun when he needs to be, someone you can work 90+ hours in an office with, than I'm your guy.

This is my first post on the forum and I humbly ask for any suggestions. I'm too outgoing for auditing but I'm willing to go down that path if it means I can use the firms name to switch to IB later.

Most Helpful

I have applied to all of them, I felt the focus on one firm would be the triggering difference in someone from HL on the post reaching out to me. Shooting for a connection here. On LinkedIn alone I'm one of 1,694 applicants for Rothschild 2020 FT analyst. I need an inside man.

I just found out yesterday that some of the big four just moved their recruiting deadline before our meet the firms(my backup plan). The time crunch has began for me to get an offer at a firm. (Preferably banking) Consulting would be great too but I'm not hell bent on HL.

The Pharma Guy:
I guess networking is the main tool at this point. Also, why the HL obsession? There are plenty of other firms on their level or slightly below you should apply to. It's a numbers game for you now.

Houlihan Lokey > JPM, GS, MS

Idk what you want us to do. As a non-target, you need to keep your options open. Not even Harvard kids can JUST target HL - who knows why you might get dinged even if it's not your fault?

If you like HL for their m&a, target other MM firms to get relevant experience. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, because you may not even have a basket.

I'd start networking as much as you can. Ask your professors, your colleagues, and all your close friends and acquaintances. It makes a huge difference of who you know and who will give you a recommendation. Also, don't place HL as your target place, just join a firm you click with and are comfortable with. Worst of worse, you can get into REPE. I know you got this. :)

"It's okay, I'll see you on the other side"

Non vero quibusdam voluptatem aut. Animi dolores ut sint ad assumenda.

Quod velit velit minima consequatur voluptate itaque et. Corporis dignissimos consequatur consectetur quod excepturi dolores sunt.

Sed sit excepturi aliquam quaerat. Iste qui sed odio sit rerum aliquid esse. Quas rem consequuntur laboriosam voluptatum. Ut sapiente natus adipisci est doloribus maxime ratione.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”