Is Wharton undergrad worth 200k in loans?

My financial situation is a bit weird and I’m a HS senior interested in tech, finance and some entrepreneurial related stuff. Super vague, I know, but I wanted to see is WSO thought taking out 200k was worth it for a Wharton, Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton or similar school for undergrad. especially when compared to around 50k loans for the CSB (CS + Finance) at UT Austin. Thoughts?

My friends who went to any ivy made it seem that they had some of the best financial aid offerings. If they're asking you for that much money I'm guessing you probably can afford it. Albeit your parents are maybe asking you to take out the debt when it should probably be them stepping up to pay.

Yeah it’s that last part. They only want to pay 100k. I have a full ride at ASU, my state school, but UT will be about 150k bc of Texas residency laws. I get no aid anywhere else 

Just bite the bullet and go to wharton.. your parents are willing to foot some of the bill and it's the only school you've gotten into that's as close to a sure bet of a high paying career path. 

Go for it. Rates are low and there's probably gonna be hyperinflation in the future. 200k is nothing in the grand scheme. Maybe get friendly with a billionaire and have him/her pay it off? 

Array

Most Helpful

about to graduate debt free from community college -> transfer to state school -> BB NYC IB and it was the best decision i’ve ever made. i’m now set up for years without debt and can freely invest my signing bonus/SA earnings without the burden of massive student loans with the same exact job as the wharton bros. obviously wharton/H would have made my life 10x easier to getting that job and even future jobs, but to me being debt free was the biggest blessing coming from a very middle class background.  would definitely avoid the debt if possible, not to mention if you think you want to go the IB/PE route and end up disliking it you may feel trapped into those careers because you can’t afford to be unemployed or have an average paying job. ASU places a decent number of kids to banking, i would really consider that route or try to find external scholarships and coordinate with the financial aid office at wharton. i get it it’s really tough to turn a school like wharton down especially with the long term benefits. but the price tag... it personally wasn’t worth it to me 

Wasnt worth it? Or you weren’t competitive enough to get into them... of course op can break in from a lot of non target schools but that doesnt mean shit. His whole reason for going to school shouldn’t be just to break into ib. Going to a school like Harvard/Wharton will open doors like no other and benefit him for life. I also did the state school route and if I had the option to go to hyp for 200k i would still had taken it.

i’m very happy with my decision and am not insecure of my non target background. you’re correct in saying that H was never an option for me, but even if i had the opportunity for 200k there’s no way i would have taken it. maybe it’s just my background where my family has a bad history with debt, but i’ve always views that level of debt as irresponsible. 

Reach out to financial aid office at HYPSM and if you got into multiple elite schools, you can use that try to get extra $

CSB is a great program, if you want to get anywhere on Wall Street from there I’m sure you can do it. I go to UT and we send at least a couple kids to almost every bank and some buy side shops every year. Having BHP is really helpful to get you into the organizations that can get you these jobs. Also, it’s sunny here and a lot of fun outside of school

[Comment removed by mod team]

Wharton is easily worth the extra $150K. What is that in the long run with close to zero interest rates? Will be nothing to pay back. 

Might as well take it and enjoy college. You'll end up with a great job and won't have to waste as much time as you'd do at UT.

It doesn't seem like you have an offer from these schools yet, but you most likely won't have to take out that much money.  

Let's say you did.  Honestly, if you are interested in high finance or tech, 200k in loans is doable.  Moreover, if you're paying that much for school, your parents are probably doing ok enough for you to put all your internship money into paying down your loan principal.  I went to MIT/Stanford and paid around 10k a year.  My summer internship money ranged from around 15k-35k per summer.  You could TA a class (grader jobs are the easiest) and get some cash.  The easiest part is that you can overcharge the shit out of fairly wealthy suburban parents to tutor kids.  Use the prestige to your advantage and tutor for like $50-100/hr. 

I know a few kids at my school who had to pay back their parents ~240k for their college expenses later on (no interest obviously).  Some did it in like 2-3 years albeit their comp is very high.  If you decide to do tech/quant stuff, you can probably get a few offers with total comps over 200k or even 300k.  

I'm taking on about ~150k in loans to go to a similar target. I think taking out this much in loans to just get a BB IB job is stupid and wasteful, but that's not what you're paying for. You really are paying for a superior academic college experience, transferred from a non-target and classes are far more satisfying now, and the network of both your school and the Ivy League at large in a sense. I intern at a major HF and every single person I know here either went to an Ivy undergrad or got an M7 MBA. The default credibility you get as a student/alum is valuable and gets you buy-side opps/connections that last your entire life.

Also if your parents co-sign and have good credit it should be like 1.5% annually. If you're not a failure it's a good relative value trade.

If you take the loans, consider how you plan to pay them off. If your plan is dependent on a job in IB, make sure that a) you can succeed in college to a level that makes getting into IB a certainty, and b) you won’t burn out early into your career.

You really don’t want to be in a spot where something goes wrong in college and you can’t get a high paying job as a result. For example, one of your parents gets sick and your GPA drops due to stress/needing to go help them. Does that mean you’re not going to be able to pay your debt?

Same thing for your career. For an example, just look at the thread about first years quitting. If you end up in a job like that, and it’s your only plan for paying back your debt, where will you be?

If you’re confident than nothing will get in your way, then there’s a lot advantages to Wharton. It’s the difference between sending hundreds of emails for a coffee chat vs. meeting bankers by clicking a button on the college website. Just know you have a solid plan before you end up making 50k with a debt load multiple times that.

Recusandae voluptatibus facere molestiae totam quibusdam ut sed eos. Tenetur voluptatem iusto quod autem dolor eos.

Non hic molestiae explicabo aut. Qui iusto alias deserunt quos quaerat. Unde quo ab architecto perspiciatis.

Voluptatem id aliquam molestias velit nam similique. Atque ut qui consequuntur occaecati nulla. Atque voluptatem vero optio et quis amet ea.

Repellendus consequuntur dignissimos qui. Vel ut excepturi ea voluptas. Dolorum et non et aut.

Ipsum sed adipisci laudantium voluptate sint accusamus. Quia ex sit et aperiam. Officiis consequatur ut doloribus ut. A voluptatibus sit dolore optio.

Cumque omnis itaque aspernatur. Facilis et neque recusandae illum. Fugiat nihil temporibus ipsa repudiandae consequatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”