Is Wharton undergrad worth $30,000 more per year than USC?

My high school senior is choosing between the Huntsman dual degree at Penn (Wharton undergrad econ degree + International Studies degree + Chinese/Japanese proficiency) vs at USC she'd get an International Relations degree with a business minor (same languages proficiency). At USC she's been offered their Trustee Scholarship (100% free tuition) . She wants to work internationally some day, particularly in East Asia. If she goes to Penn/Wharton, she'd shoot for top tier consulting. We currently live in CA. While she'd be willing to work in S. CA for a few years immediately after graduation to take advantage of the Trojan network, she eventually wants to work out of state. She loves the snow. She visited and loved both schools. She particularly loved the small cohort nature of the Huntsman program (only 50 students per class with a strong emphasis on community). Wharton would cost about $120,000 - $140,000 more than USC for our family (which is steep but we could swing it without taking on any debt) -- half of which she would reimburse us once she starts working after graduation. At USC, she'd graduate with no debt.

1) I assume that if she went to USC, it would be very difficult for her to break into MBB consulting as USC does not appear to be a target?

2) Would being a Trustee full tuition scholar (at USC) help her get an MBB interview?

3) Is Wharton worth $130,000 more than USC for undergrad?

4) Is Wharton undergrad worth taking on $70,000 of school debt when she thinks that she may eventually want a more advanced degree (MBA, law, international relation masters)?

5) With a Wharton undergrad, is she likely to need an MBA?

Everyone's situation is different, but jeez - what an opportunity to do the Huntsman program at Wharton. Wharton alone signals to future employers for the rest of your daughter's life that she's an elite talent. Now she's gone and put herself into an even-more-elite pool among the elite. I have a hard time imagining that doesn't pay back the $100k+ price premium many times over - no matter how its financed or what graduate degree she pursues.

Your responses are so helpful -- thanks so much! Two more questions:

1) Why would/do top tier employers prize Huntsman students so highly -- even over HYPS? Is it because it's so highly selective? Do they value the global mindset? the language skills? the demonstrated quantitative/soft skills of a dual degree Wharton/liberal arts major? Or what.....?

2) Are all of you (whom responded above about Huntsman) Penn alumni? Ie. Do non-Penn employers also know about, and equally regard, the Huntsman kids as elite of the elite?

3) As a US citizen who expects to be business proficient/fluent in Chinese and Japanese (but definitely not native), is she likely to be able to engage in projects overseas/E. Asia while working at MBB in the early years -- or would she need to wait until much later at MBB or wait for exit opportunities to go and work for companies working in Asia? Also I thought I read somewhere else that knowing second/third languages does not give you a bump in MBB recruiting unless you're native and a citizen of that country. Is that true? Is she likely to be able to use her Chinese/Japanese language skills if she works in MBB consulting?

Best Response

1.) Wharton in general feeds into MBB around the same as HYS. Huntsman students have a strong network at the consulting firms, lots of access to prep materials, a tight community that helps them get into the top consulting clubs on-campus, and they are generally viewed as having great interpersonal skills. This all makes getting into MBB slightly easier for Huntsman kids. I'm sure the ability/interest to work internationally also boost their potential value.

2.) The peoples screening resumes and conducting the interviewing at Penn for MBB are generally Penn alums anyway. Regardless, Huntsman will help get the interviews through networking, and then also provide resources to help with the interviews. A high GPA also helps a lot.

3 is tough to answer. I know people (US citizens) who went abroad immediately, but I'm not sure about this.

Huntsman is a fantastic program, but it isn't a guarantee that you'll get into MBB. It certainly helps position you for success though (in consulting and almost any other field).

I don't think I'd be able to answer the first two properly since I don't know much about Huntsman (but UPenn is a fantastic name brand for MBB/IB/PE in general), but for 3- In terms of going abroad within the first few years, it is a lot easier at McK to do projects abroad than the other 2 because of staffing model, but Bain (not sure about BCG) has a secondment program where you can go wherever you want in your third year for a year, either at an intl office or with an industry client. I myself did a language major in college along with my primary major, and while it's a fun fact and is definitely piques peoples' interest, it's not really a ~unique differentiating factor for recruiting, your GPA/ experience/ test scores matter way, way more. In terms of using those language skills, I mean if she works based out of a US based office, than no she wouldn't use them daily or anything, she'd only use them if she does an international project/ secondment (see above).

This is pretty cool that you're asking for her! My dad has no idea what consulting is haha

Huntsman is the shit for any overambitious kid who wants to dabble at some bullshit ambiguous "public services or international relations" while earning around 80~150k right out of undergrad.

They have an excellent program that covers both business and international relations. Creme de la creme.

This is a fucking no-brainer, one worthy of rescinding your custody and paying your daughter for $100k for the rest of her life for damages if you somehow ever guide your daughter to choose USC over Huntsman.

Huntsman should not only open any and all doors for its name value, but the program itself will widen her horizons even more.

1) Judging by the make-up of my office or people around me, I guess not.

2) No

3) Definitely; with Huntsman, more so

4) Yes.

5) Yes and no. That depends on her needs at the moment of consideration.

Wharton. USC is still working to get over it's Clueless reputation. While it's gotten much better in the past 8-10 years, it probably won't really be on part with other elite institutions for another decade, and even then it's likely to be at the bottom of that list at best.

Ad in et earum rerum aliquam ut omnis veniam. Laudantium accusamus quia consectetur sed fuga eligendi. Consequuntur aliquam quam exercitationem ratione accusamus debitis. Non excepturi est iure ullam. Et perferendis accusantium sunt. Earum qui ea quidem commodi facere pariatur consectetur. Sapiente minima assumenda praesentium hic saepe accusantium dolores.

Impedit sapiente nam voluptates quia. Ipsa possimus at ratione. Quisquam ea laudantium atque quia non cum quae.

Nihil veritatis nulla perferendis et vitae modi fuga. Voluptas id omnis dolor hic fugiat repellendus est itaque. Itaque excepturi totam libero molestiae. Fuga error dolores voluptate doloremque omnis ut. Eum a et et quibusdam.

Cum aperiam dicta harum molestiae repellendus facere aut odit. Aperiam dolore perspiciatis quis quia. Omnis nam vero eum est quidem veritatis aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”