So I just got through an illuminating Vox article linked here: http://www.vox.com/world/2017/2/13/14559822/trump-... and I want to get some thoughts from fellow WSO members. If you can't (or won't) read the entire article here is a short summary.
1.) a group of people believe the spread of Islam through sharia law is the most pressing problem in western society, these are the counter-jihadists. They believe the groups spreading Islam through violence (ISIS etc.) are an issue but we ignore "stealth jihad" - basically the infiltration of our institutions slowly turning them into vehicles for sharia principles - which is the real issue.
2.) They believe the media and politicians ignore this threat because they are either too dumb or complicit in stealth jihad (ex. Obama is a Muslim/ Muslim sympathizer who didn't do enough against radical Islam or Huma Abedin is connected to the Muslim brotherhood)
3.) The Muslim brotherhood is directing this stealth jihad campaign to spread Sharia across the world
4.) They believe "moderate Muslim" organizations like CAIR are just conduits of the Muslim brotherhood's stealth jihad campaign and are actually extremists in disguise.
5.) Trump's foremost advisers: Bannon (who crafted the travel ban), Flynn (who has compared Islam to cancer), Sessions, and Pompeo believe, at least partly, in the previous assertions.
6.) To counter this "stealth jihad" they promote the following
- limiting or ending Muslim immigration into western countries
- extreme inspection and investigation of mosques, shutting down the ones that promote sharia (they believe 80% of Muslim mosques advocate Sharia so this would mean shutting those down)
- labeling the Muslim brotherhood a terrorist organization (even though they haven't committed an attack in like 60 years)
- shutting down Muslim organizations (like CAIR) that they perceive to be conduits of the brotherhood
- ending university programs that promote Muslim-Christian dialogue and replacing it with educating students on the threat of sharia
- using advocacy for Sharia as legal basis for deporting Muslims and stripping their citizenship (we saw a sampling of this in the "green card holders are also banned" part of the travel ban, however briefly that lasted)
Newt Gingrich and Ted Cruz have labeled these recommendations, outlined in the "Secure Freedom plan", as sound strategy. So, what are your thoughts on the movement, their recommendations, and the counter-jihadist movement's possible influence in the white house?