Just got a 730 on the GMAT, AMA

jonstuart's picture

Took the GMAT on Friday and scored a 730. 49 QUANT, 40 VERBAL. For those of you who are taking it or are just curious about something and have a question, maybe I can help. Just joined the site and figured I'd give this a shot.

Comments (23)

Dec 14, 2015

How much time did you put in?

Dec 14, 2015

What materials did you use?

Dec 14, 2015

I'm studying for the GRE and I crammed all the words and went through all the math but how do I prepare for Critical reading/reading comprehension & math? do I just churn exercises and time myself at the same time or what? I'm currently using the official GRE guide and Manhattan.

I know the author gave the GMAT but the only difference is that the GMAT is slightly more difficult on the math side.

Dec 14, 2015

not to hijack the OPs thread but http://www.gmatquantum.com/ was by far the best resource I used for Quant. Even if you don't want to pay for the course (which is well worth it), the free video answers to all the OG questions are invaluable.

On the verbal side, a lot of your success is going to come down to focus. Verbal really isn't that hard, but you have to by hyper focused and not miss any details. Just practice with official questions and learn the patterns. For reading comp, a tricked that helped me was to pretend you are really excited about whatever topic the post is on. If you go in thinking, "this topic is boring as hell", it will be hard to retain the information.

Dec 21, 2015

Echo GMAT quantum x1000

Dec 14, 2015

Congratulations

Best Response
Dec 14, 2015

Why such a low score?

Dec 14, 2015

ikr - it's only 95 percentile

Dec 14, 2015

This thread is hysterical

Dec 14, 2015

Why are you doing an ama with just a 730?

Dec 15, 2015

... is Jon Stuart your real name?

Dec 15, 2015

im stuck on 680 +/- 10 on manhattan CATs can't get to the 700 mark i always score 37+ on verbal but my quant is volatile sometimes 42 sometimes 49 don't understand why?

Dec 21, 2015

Personal experience: only had < 2 wks to study so I crammed as many practice tests as possible.

MGMAT practice tests: 660-680 on all 5 or 6 of them.

Official gmat practice tests: 740,760,770,780 (timed and with all sections)

GMAT itself: 730

Combination of nerves and losing my discipline for timing on quant really brought my actual GMAT down. Retaking with confidence (and a prayer) I'll get more in line with my practice tests having had more time to study.

Point being, every MGMAT test I took made me feel slightly suicidal when I saw my score. Although they were still good practice, don't put too much weight into your score.

Dec 15, 2015

It's hard to hit 700 for some people and they certainly need guidance from people like OP. Don't be mean

Dec 15, 2015

@wilhug - ofrget the manhattan CATs, stick to the official practice tests. also you need to get your verbal up to 42+ so i'd focus your time there

Dec 15, 2015

Thanks what did you use for verbal to get 42+ please bear in mind English is my third language

Dec 16, 2015
undefined:

Thanks what did you use for verbal to get 42+ please bear in mind English is my third language

I used exclusively the Manhattan books for SC and the veritas books for logic. I scored a 47 on verbal (99th%+) but I was naturally very high there already.

Dec 15, 2015

i'm a native english speaker and did well on verbal without a ton of prep but have heard https://e-gmat.com/ is a very good resource for non native speakers

Dec 16, 2015

What was your baseline score -- i.e., where did you start from? If you started from like 550-600, then 730 is a big improvement. If you're naturally a 90/95+ percentile guy, then 730 should be expected.

Was your GMAT percentile good, bad, or about the same relative to your SAT?

Dec 18, 2015
Comment
Dec 25, 2015