Lazard vs. Greenhill vs. PWP NYC offers for 2021 SA

I know there are other threads about this but wanted a fresh perspective. In a bit of a unique position--current sophomore at a semi/non-target and am very lucky to have offers from 2 of these 3 places due to accelerated/diversity recruiting: PWP, Greenhill and Lazard for the 2021 SA roles, all for M&A in new york. I know there are other threads regarding this but wanted an update for the outlook of these EBs going forward. I don't think I can accelerate interviews for GS/MS/JPM, and I was rejected at other BBs I applied to (Citi + Barclays early). Evercore has been ghosting me but that interview could've gone better.

Anyway, wanted to ask about recent exits for these places, particularly PWP & GHL because there doesn't seem to be a ton of info of late. LAZ/GHL also seems to have dwindled a bit lately, is this true? And PWP seems to be on the come up but still not sure about exit opportunities. I'm still not 100% sure on what I want to do after ibanking, but I'm pretty sure I see myself doing private equity/possibly growth equity at a MF or UMM shop. Which of these places has the best exit opps and future as a firm? Again, can't accelerate recruiting at the other BBs and I feel like it would be dumb to renege on any of these places, even for MS/JPM/GS. Any thoughts/opinions/concerns are welcome.

Problem is I need to decide within the next 2 weeks due to one of the offers expiring. Any thoughts/opinions/concerns are welcome.

I'm going to get MS regardless no matter how objective I am. This forum is a joke, so sorry I'm not going to waste my time even though you are legitimately looking for help. Maybe get rid of the trolls and I come back. But these are objective overall rankings.

Congrats on the offers. In the end, these are all great places to end up. I can’t comment personally on these EBs, but I faced a similar decision and ended up choosing based mostly on fit which I don’t regret. Also consider the differences between the internships, would you prefer a generalist experience or to work in a specific group? Good luck!

appreciate it. Yea I feel like I vibed better with one of the places, just in terms of speaking with the people that interviewed me. I'm going to try and schedule chats with more people at each firm + talk to alumni (except one firm doesn't have alumni), so we'll see.

Could you explain your reasoning for that? Talking to lazard alums seems like the dealflow is strong, but analyst classes are bigger than at GHL/PWP. Is this notion true or

Both Lazard and PWP are great firms to be at. Dealflow varies from location to location and group to group, but on an overall basis would say that Lazard has stronger dealflow and slightly stronger exits. PWP does have a more laid back culture, whereas Lazard can definitely come off as more uptight. In general, Greenhill is no longer is in the same league as the two (with the exception of a couple legacy relationships they have in HC and other industries).

Also an incoming for Summer 2021, so I cannot comment too much on deal flow / exits, but during my recruiting process, I was a very big fan of PWP & Lazard. Lazard's culture seems a bit more uptight / preppy, also it has the reputation for being a sweatier shop / having less pay. PWP's people seem very very geniune, and I was attracted in particular to its fintech desk. Some of my good friends are returning to PWP for FT, and they have nothing but amazing things to say.

also curious as to buyside exit opps for a Lazard/PWP versus a Citi/Barclays... I know its obviously group dependent to an extent, but any general thoughts?

Definitely group-dependent. All will give you good exit opps unless you’re in a really crappy group, but I’d argue that each bank has a specific “group” that will be really good for each opportunity you’re looking for. If you’re looking to exit into a distressed debt fund, you can’t argue about the quality of candidates that come from Lazard’s RX group. Bulge brackets will give you certain experiences you can’t get at independent advisors, so if you’re in a really good group (Barclays has historically been well-known for their P&U group after buying out Lehman Brothers, they also have a good sponsors group) then you’ll be fine at most PE firms you try to go to, but the opportunity might be group-specific (I.e. recruiting into a P&U group rather than having a generalist role). If you had offers from all of these banks and you’re picking based on exits, I’d say that you should instead pick based on culture unless you’re really set on a specific opportunity, like a distressed debt fund.

Had offers from two out of the three places you listed in the past, and talked to people from both shops. Lazard has legacy brand name+ probably best exits out of the three, but culture seems pretty bad/sweatshop type. PWP's culture stands out as being the best IMO as everyone there genuinely seems to appreciate it, senior people care about the analysts and there is a lot of social events throughout the summer/FT. They do some long term client relationship work (strategy consulting type) esp. in consumer. Some MF exits here (mostly diversity candidates though) so expected return is likely MM/UMM think Audax/BC type shops. Strongest teams are probably Healthcare and RX (energy focused). GHL M&A seems to be on the decline, but RX is ramping up fast with Augustine. Culture in M&A seems laid back but RX is a sweatshop, recent exits from RX have been good though. Out of the three, I'd say Lazard for marginally better exits, PWP for culture.

would take PWP over Laz / GHL. Higher pay, much better culture and very good exit opps. Again, no matter which firm you choose, you will get MF / UMM interview opps but your “exit” is dependent on how good of a candidate you are. No MF is taking you just because you come from Laz - you have to prove yourself

Seconded, interned at one of the above shops and this is largely on point

aren't exits also related to dealflow per analyst? just trying to rationalize who to pick.

that’s true to some extent. if you’re doing on cycle, no one has “deal experience”. by the time off cycle rolls around, I can almost guarantee you will have done at least a couple deals to discuss (no matter which shop). so really, it comes down to things like culture, pay, senior relationship development, etc., which from what I’ve seen, PWP is better

keep in mind, PWP’s class size is something like 25-30, which is much smaller than LAZ. same thing with GHL (even smaller than PWP). you will likely have a much better experience working at a firm with smaller class sizes as you’ll have better interactions with seniors, etc.

No one is pointing out that Lazard is a much better RX name than either of the other two, and the M&A teams at Lazard end up working on RX deals as well, often doing valuation and getting pretty involved. If you have a generalist offer in NYC you can also get into RX which will likely be a bigger group going forward. At this point in the cycle choosing the better RX name is probably the way to go if you want to get as much deal experience as possible.

Also would go with Lazard. Reputation took a dip '07-'16 or so due to some rainmaker MDs leaving and sweatshop rep, but has come back strong. Hours are better in some groups now (still kinda brutal in others) and deal flow is very strong for most groups. Friend there is grinding, but loves the people in his group and they have a pretty laid-back culture. RX is the strongest of the 3. Overall, the best exit-ops compared to your other offers, too. Not just for PE, but the greater name recognition makes it easier to recruit for other fields e.g. tech, VC, etc. Your decision will become tougher and more group-dependent if you hear back from EVR.

I would probably discount GHL and focus on PWP and Lazard. GHL is declining, and while they're still a great name with great placements, I'd focus on the other two. People rank Lazard as the better of the two and the more prestigious of the two. I agree, but the differences are so granular when comparing two banks of this caliber. Ultimately I'd say pick whichever you like best. Personally, I'd choose PWP because they it's a smaller firm, pay is great (although people in the comments have said Lazard has bumped theirs up too), and the people I've spoken with at PWP I got along with better than at Lazard. Also PWP will get you into HBS if you want to get your MBA.

Agree he/she should choose between those 2, but think vibe is really group-dependent. Know people at PWP looking to lateral because their groups are super intense/stuffy. Friend is in a super chill group at Laz... Worth trying to get a read on the people you might be working with

Of all industry groups at the three combined firms (non-RX), PWP Tech and Healthcare would be #1 and #2.

Ok “prospect”, what are you basing this on? Culture? Because if you’re using deal flow as a metric this is measurably false.

PWP has a great tech practice and MS Infrastructure and PayPal-Honey we’re great deals. Similarly strong, Laz has represented CBS, Google, Intel, and Visa in the past year on acquisitions.

I definitely don’t think PWP’s tech practice is measurably better than Laz’s and I wouldn’t even say tech is the best coverage group at Laz. So I would say you’re wrong.

Magnam est saepe voluptas magni odit. Dolor voluptatibus sit adipisci. Illum dolores consectetur nihil vel. Temporibus consequatur rerum et. Natus similique adipisci id nam quia in. Omnis quia id autem nisi minima.

Ad culpa doloremque iste. Dolores impedit est laborum ut omnis.

Aliquam rerum quas quae consequuntur. Reprehenderit quam tenetur deleniti qui laboriosam rerum. Repudiandae qui impedit nemo enim harum.

Quisquam sit non similique aut tempore. Non officiis qui dolore sed rerum. Molestiae porro voluptas accusamus earum.

Est maxime quia et in ad praesentium. Molestiae a ipsa perferendis culpa. Non minima excepturi sed molestiae sint exercitationem. Vero consequatur facere debitis quae dolorum ut. Voluptatum debitis fugiat magnam iure officiis distinctio id repellendus.

Possimus aut enim ipsum aut laborum saepe. Aspernatur autem et quidem eum placeat velit. Perferendis labore id id distinctio. Molestiae repellendus a vero maiores consectetur. Quo earum beatae reprehenderit. Consequatur est neque earum dolore est illum dolorum.

Ipsa inventore nihil beatae unde est molestiae. Quis ut id at id eum at. Enim est nihil illum. In et sit et doloremque quia.

Suscipit consequatur eos voluptates blanditiis. Facilis non dolore error omnis sed tempora. Est quisquam quia optio earum explicabo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”