London Rent / Living Arrangements 2019

Hi All,

Just looking to get a rough estimate of where 1st-year analysts typically live in London, and how much is usually spent on rent? Taking £50k base for 1st years, that is roughly just £3k a month after tax.

I understand this will vary depending on if you work in CW, the city or Mayfair, but would like to hear from those that have gone through the process before to get a better idea of what I should expect come the fall.

Thanks!

Most Helpful

If you're working in the City or Canary Wharf, my recommendation would be to look at East London in general. It's probably the most bang for your buck compared to overpriced areas in West London and Angel/Islington. South of the river (Bermondsey, Canada Water) might be an option but in my experience the transport links aren't as great as East London (DLR, all day buses)

Areas to look in in East are probably Wapping, Limehouse, Shoreditch (if you work in the city), Canning Town, and then areas around Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs. Avoid Shadwell, Whitechapel if you can. What you'll realize in London is that there are pockets of very different neighbourhoods close to each other.

In terms of rent, probably best to look for a flatshare because studios run anywhere PS1.2K + for a pretty crappy place. A lot of new builds have cropped up in East London so target those, rent will prob be around PS850 - PS1000 plus tax and bills. You can usually find a two bed, two bath for that range in my experience. Obviously, the more flatmates you have, the cheaper things will be so depends on personal preference. I work in Cap Mkts so hours aren't too bad and I do have time to spend at home so prefer having one other flatmate.

Good luck.

"A guy gets on the MTA here in L.A. and dies. Think anybody'll notice?" - Vincent

Don't disagree a lot of areas in East London are dodgy but there a few places where it's completely fine. I personally haven't had any issues living in East London and a lot of bankers live around there due to the proximity of work.

As for nightlife, a lot of things going on in London so its not really in one area, East London makes it convenient to get home because its so central.

"A guy gets on the MTA here in L.A. and dies. Think anybody'll notice?" - Vincent

I live in London but not an analyst. But I did rent as a first year.

Clapham is well connected to the city and on the Northern line. Typically rent is around £750-950 for shared or £1200 for your own place (without bills). Great Nightlight.

Other options are Bermondsey which is two stops on the jubilee from Wharf - cheaper at around £750-800

I'd avoid London Bridge - lots of tourists, crap nightlife and everyone i know who has lived there has been burgled.

London Sponsors M&A - EB

Bermondsey seems pretty good, any information on the general area? Any reason it's a fair bit cheaper than surrounding parts? Seems like a very decent location with good transport links.

Would recommend to live close to the Jubilee Line, but avoid Canary Wharf itself. It may seem as if the practicality of being close to work beats the dull area, but I would strongly recommend you to go elsewhere.

East London could work, e.g. Shoreditch. Not a big fan in general though, but the more you head West the more expensive it gets. Stay close to Jubilee and you'll be fine.

City

My favorite locations are Marble Arch/Marylebone area. Only 20min away by tube and close to points of interest in South Ken and Chelsea. Only downside is the price.

Personally really like London Bridge too. Very well-connected and vibrant with lots of good restaurants and most importantly at walking distance from Bank/Moorgate.

Canary Wharf

If you MUST work in Canary Wharf, then I would only consider London Bridge, which is only 3 stops away on the Jubilee Line.

Amazing that no one has listed Stratford. Huge redevelopment area in the Olympic park with rents anywhere from 700-1100 mo in the EV properties. New builds, no deposit, 2mo break clause.

Proximity to the city is 20-25m and 15 or so to the Wharf. It’s quite boring in some sense at night and you do have to travel 30-60 minutes for good nightlife outside of hackney wick, but that’s a trade off for what I see as far easier QOL vs getting on the northern line (if you can) from a run down flat in Clapham or living in a shoebox in shoreditch.

London Bridge is also a great location for connectivity but I agree with the negatives above. KX is cool but very pricey.

@OP so you value proximity to work? nightlife? sport? Or proximity to travel hubs, etc?

Offshore liffe

For Mayfair, Battersea looks great, although probably better for a second year/first associate, as it's pricier. If you're near Bond Street (north Mf) there's a few options and near Green Park (south) there are loads. Both accessible on Jubilee so that opens up everything suggested in this thread on the line. If I worked in Mayfair I'd probably go for KX but as I say it's pricier, closer to 1.1k.

Your options with south mf are better because you can live in Vauxhall/Clapham [Stockwell]/Brixton too, declining price order. It depends on preference and if you're more "stereotypical" Wall Street you'll prefer SKen, Vauxhall, etc, but if you're less so, you can live in a "reasonably dodgy" area (E&C, Brixton) just fine. I would still avoid some areas of those as well as Tower Hams. Clapham is in the middle... it's great for nightlife and basically a continuation of uni, but terrible for transport.

Finchley Road and similar are options, still pricier (900-1.1k) but quieter. If you want to screw the cost down you're looking at either a terrible flat, or a 40 minute commute.

Definitely get a flat share. I would actually still recommend GetLiving (who own the Olympic Park East Village and a couple of towers at E&C) because they have 6m minimum, 2m break after that, lock in rent for 3 years, help you find a flat share, no deposit, and the E&C option is right on the station. The only downside with E&C is it's a bit more scary at night, but changed a lot in the last 3 years.

Offshore liffe

Similique facilis deleniti nobis commodi doloribus quasi. Corporis voluptatem reprehenderit provident ullam ad sapiente aut. Dolores sunt ullam aut distinctio.

Aut ut et voluptas sunt sapiente. Explicabo eos consectetur cum aut. Incidunt illum possimus magni sint eum. Et nulla mollitia autem illo excepturi voluptates voluptate.

Temporibus enim magnam atque non omnis. Quo et nihil voluptate non pariatur ea autem. Aut consequuntur non voluptas pariatur. Reprehenderit ut aliquid perspiciatis qui molestiae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”