So I know everyone's all like you need a 4.0 gpa from Harvard business school with meaningful work experience from daddy's business and his friends since you were born. That's not me. I graduated from the University of Arizona in 2011. I have a 3.1 gpa and my degree is in Accounting and I currently live in Minneapolis, MN. I have little experience except for a seven month internship with two financial advisors. I do have a company sponsoring me to take my series 7 and 66 exams and become a stock broker after I also complete the SIE exam. I'm not sure if I really want to stay with this company though as personal income is 100% purely based on commission. Obviously I don't have a perfect gpa as I enjoyed college. I had some distractions otherwise I think I could have easily earned at least a 3.5 gpa, but my neighbor in college (over asking out a girl) said he would get me an interview... unclear where or with whom. Now I know you may say well pursue him, but he is not very responsive and unless you have better advice on how to approach him I'm afraid that's a dead end. So, obviously I have a low gpa, obviously I have little experience, and obviously I'm not exactly in a top finance city although I would consider moving except for I'm broke, but there's always ways to figure that situation out. I read an article in the Wall Street Journal saying the finance industry is hot right now for jobs...like they desperately need people. Any advice out there on what industry I should try or what I should do? Thanks, anything helps. It's starting to be awhile after graduation and I'm afraid I might wait too long to find a career if I haven't done so already. Oh and please don't say I should go into Accounting, I'm really looking for Finance advice as I couldn't stand studying accounting.
Relevant Salary & Bonus Data
Wall Street Oasis Notifications
Please tell us a little bit more about yourself to send you the most relevant notifications
Popular Content See all
- I have been on this website for more than ten years and thought I would dish out a bit of advice.
####A bit of background:
I worked up to director level in trading, before going to get an MBA and changing industry to work in private equity. The exact same story repeated itself, so I thought...+29 by Disjoint in JOB
- I'm a Physical Trader in the Asia region and look after a combined book of +1Mt for origination and sales of dry-bulk commodities. My background has been in some way or form of international trade, with 6+ years in operations before getting into a trading gig. I trade majority of dry bulk...+13 by UnfinishedSentenc in TR
- I remember back when I was still a student, being intimidated by the idea of having to form "models" - despite my undergrad being in physics.
It turns out in finance, "modelling" just means dividing one excel cell by another, saying "yeah sure, that growth will...+11 by Leonardo-Cope in IB
- More specifically if possible, which neighborhood and asset type? Value add, development or stabilized play?
Wonder what everyone’s investment thesis is regarding the environment we are in today.
You are the President of your own shop and get to call the shots. What city are you buying in?+10 by yayaa in RE
- Financial modeling is a skill that any investment banking analyst will have to master. Although the majority of investment banks and other financial firms now have formal training programs, many students and prospective finance professionals are choosing to enroll in self-study financial...+10 by WallStreetOasis.com in IB
- Hoping to learn more about investment banks in Los Angeles. My current firm's only california presence is in San Francisco. I've done a bit of research and think I understand which banks are in LA, but it's hard to tell what groups are out there. Also hoping to know a little more...+7 by californiadreaming000 in IB
- In a Bloomberg article last week, JP Morgan announced that it will begin using online behavioral science-based games to recruit college students.
[quote]"Beginning this year, the bank will be using the games, instead of in person campus recruiting and traditional college campus visits,...+7 by NovemberRain in JOB
- How about we include biopics as well.
Watching the theranos documentary right now and it's awesome (guy with the messed up eye seems kinda baller). What are some other business documentaries to check out?+7 by famejranc in OFF
- I want to hear stories of pick up artistry, streaks (of success or droughts), or even just unexpected love stories. Mine is, I usually do a lot of sitting by the bar with some staring, drooling, and wimpering like a sad and needy puppy.
Edit: for those not convinced this topic is somewhat...+7 by iBankedUp in OFF
- Recently left this group it was nothing like what I was promised and experienced during my summer.
1) Too many egos without merit; chill out dude you’re going to a fund with $5 Billion in AUM.
2) Haven’t closed any deals since the rainmakers left to Everecore even heard one more senior...+6 by PEorBsTSeoulBro in IB
Upcoming EventsSee all
- Apr10Financial Modeling Boot Camp -- New York City, 4/10-4/128:00 to 5:00 EDT New York City, NY