NYU Stern + $150K debt or Minnesota Carlson for UG Finance

I've been accepted to both schools. I didn't receive any financial aid at NYU, and my parents are willing to pay for $100K, leaving me to cover $150K through loans and jobs. My parents are fully capable of paying for the whole thing, but they want to see me contribute some.

I plan to major in finance, and I'm not sure about my exact career path yet. I'm thinking either consulting or top Asset Management, but sentencing myself to IBD is not out of the question. I also hope to pursue a top MBA within 5-7 years of graduating, hopefully at HBS or Wharton.

I have also been waitlisted at Cornell and Dartmouth, so please offer suggestions on these as well in the case that I am accepted into one of them.

Is NYU worth $150K debt in the long-run when compared to the opportunities I would have coming out of the University of Minnesota, especially when considering my hopes to get an MBA?

How does one even go about paying off this huge amount of debt?

Thanks!

Best Response
holla_back:
Taking on $150k in debt to attend NYU is absolutely fucking bonkers.

This. Go Carlson, but you'd have a better chance of landing w/Piper, Lazard MM, Harris Williams, HLHZ, etc. than top asset mgmt or consulting spots. Not saying it is impossible, but Carlson feeds better into the MM IB groups.

They did send a girl to RBC IBD in NYC (she turned down HLHZ and a few others in town), but generally you won't end up in NYC from there.

peinvestor2012:
holla_back:
Taking on $150k in debt to attend NYU is absolutely fucking bonkers.

This. Go Carlson, but you'd have a better chance of landing w/Piper, Lazard MM, Harris Williams, HLHZ, etc. than top asset mgmt or consulting spots. Not saying it is impossible, but Carlson feeds better into the MM IB groups.

They did send a girl to RBC IBD in NYC (she turned down HLHZ and a few others in town), but generally you won't end up in NYC from there.

I agree that your MM opps will be better than opps on either coast at Carlson. That said they do have some alumni on the street.

peinvestor2012:
soccerplayerc1:
If you go to carlson wanting to get into ibd your a fucking retard. It'd be like going to taco bell for a hamburger. All the actions out east or in san fran so try a school out there. Heck Rutgers or Pace would even give you a better shot.

Says the guy that has never worked in the field.

yep
[quote=Dirk Dirkenson]Shut up already. Your mindless, reflexive responses to any critical thought on this are tedious. You're also probably a woman, given the name and "xoxo" signoff, so maybe the lack of judgment is to be expected.[/quote]

soccerplayerc1:
If you go to carlson wanting to get into ibd your a fucking retard. It'd be like going to taco bell for a hamburger. All the actions out east or in san fran so try a school out there. Heck Rutgers or Pace would even give you a better shot.

nope

[quote=Dirk Dirkenson]Shut up already. Your mindless, reflexive responses to any critical thought on this are tedious. You're also probably a woman, given the name and "xoxo" signoff, so maybe the lack of judgment is to be expected.[/quote]

Okay, so the overwhelming consensus is that Stern is not worth it in this situation.

Would Darmouth or Cornell be worth about $80K debt?

Also, is it possible (and by that I mean not incredibly difficult in comparison to Stern, as the IB gap would be) to pursue a career in top asset management, such as the one detailed in the thread "Life at a Top Asset Manager" with a UG finance major from Carlson?

willkraft253:
Okay, so the overwhelming consensus is that Stern is not worth it in this situation.

Also, is it possible (and by that I mean not incredibly difficult in comparison to Stern, as the IB gap would be) to pursue a career in top asset management, such as the one detailed in the thread "Life at a Top Asset Manager" with a UG finance major from Carlson?

I would take on $80k for Dartmouth.

willkraft253:

Dartmouth and Cornell are both better schools than NYU, broadly speaking.

I'm never even heard of Carlson, so I wouldn't recommend that if you want to work in NYC.

Dartmouth over Cornell. Cornell over NYU and Carlson. 80k in debt is worth it for Dartmouth and Cornell. 150k is absurd for NYU but you'll have way better chances to break into business than if you go to Carlson. But if you end up screwing up recruiting at NYU and land no jobs or less competitive jobs, you'll be really pissed about the debt. Not every NYU Stern kid is going to get a top IB job or whatever. Even at Harvard, there are people that strike out.

Were these really the only schools you applied to?? If you got wait listed at Cornell and Dartmouth, you probably have a good enough profile to get into a school somewhere between Cornell and NYU Stern in selectiveness. I'd maybe consider rocking your first year wherever you go and then transferring but that can be really shitty for your college experience.

These were the only schools I got into. I also got rejected by Wharton, Harvard, and Northwestern. I definitely should have applied to more match schools though.

Can anyone shed light on the difference in opportunities for top asset management at these schools?

I'm also interested in entrepreneurship. Is it possible, or even logical to start a business after college with that much loan debt? I don't have a specific idea or even an industry in mind yet, but it sounds interesting and I don't want to limit myself in that area yet.

can you appeal for more money from Stern? If you can get 10-15k more per year then that brings your debt to 90-110k if you choose to go. if you want to work in nyc ib thats pretty much your only option

Id corporis iure exercitationem doloremque molestiae. Consequatur commodi rem dolore nemo et iure inventore. Beatae autem eum consectetur beatae. Sunt rerum et nam magni non velit.

Et sint dolore nihil ut quia ducimus. Modi ducimus id ut aspernatur assumenda aut. Incidunt voluptatem est cumque et. Adipisci ut dolore qui optio quidem aliquam veniam.

Iusto unde qui doloribus aut non aspernatur. Esse dolore voluptatibus ea dolor ut voluptates omnis in. Molestias sit est exercitationem ex neque laboriosam. Sint et velit quis.

Qui ea autem et voluptatem. Temporibus consequuntur voluptate sunt praesentium et libero quia incidunt. Dolorem saepe pariatur adipisci dolores. Non itaque quisquam perferendis est.

Ut dolorem similique eum aut consequatur voluptatem enim. Quidem recusandae voluptatum accusamus possimus reiciendis sequi nostrum. Inventore ut atque voluptatibus facere omnis est cupiditate.

Nostrum culpa ea ut non voluptates eum. Praesentium pariatur assumenda molestiae. Nisi sunt error nulla. Ipsam id debitis eum. Placeat quasi et quia doloribus.

Unde magni deleniti et consequuntur repellat. Ad autem dolores itaque sed voluptas accusantium. Consectetur velit qui expedita consequuntur ut. Maiores et excepturi vitae dolorem sed non sint. Et ut quos qui et explicabo quidem necessitatibus. Eum tenetur exercitationem saepe tempore rerum ullam corporis voluptatem. Nam est laborum fugit voluptatum et voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”