Fairmove:
Thanks. I'm currently at 1.5% at a London PERE Fund, as an analyst. Aspring numbers you have there.

Do you have any skin in the game and if so, is it a like for like contribution? See a lot of recruiters these days with carry in the advert (in London too) but always thought it'd be strange for an analyst to have pockets deep enough to contribute. (dependant on size of fund too of course)

Most Helpful

If you're speaking to me, that's not being a dick. I own a CRE Mortgage Brokerage, lone wolf. I merged my firm into my client's (now Partner) development firm and wrote the plans/found the seed capital for the fund. My job is to raise capital and manage our LP's. I'm nothing special, no college or MBA, just lots of failures in companies I tried to start and people seem to like how I look them dead in the eye while asking questions to make them feel vulnerable...

Typically carry is calculated at the Fund level. There are very few managers who are able to sneak in carry at the deal-level. (The ones who do it at the deal-level tend to throw in some pretty clever language).

Typical promote structure will have a preferred return followed by either one hurdle or multiple hurdles. I've typically seen the Firm/Partners receive 60-80% of carry with the remaining 20-40% reserved for team members.

Robert Clayton Dean: What is happening? Brill: I blew up the building. Robert Clayton Dean: Why? Brill: Because you made a phone call.

Have to keep in mind that sometimes the GP fees are swept before you get to the promote cash flow. So they wouldn't be included in this analysis. A good portion of those fees also go towards paying for employee salaries, overhead, etc. Not a massive number, but it definitely comes into play.

"Who am I? I'm the guy that does his job. You must be the other guy."

Correct - what I mean is that there usually isn't a ton left over to divvy up, a lot of it is spoken for. When you're at a large fund, the property management fees obviously go to the property management team (whether in-house or external). The AM and acq. fees at the fund level obviously are only paid by a 3rd party if it's a separate account business, meaning that if these 'fees' hit the portfolio of an internally managed fund where the REPE shop is the GP, it's cannibalistic to the remaining cash flow available for distribution. Because of this, the funds typically minimize these fees charged because that allows you to hit the promote quicker (and thus get a bigger % of whats remaining than you would in the flat fee structure in most cases). Obviously, staff need to get paid somehow, so most of the fees charged by the GP end up going to taking care of the employee/GP overhead - so usually it's not like there's a ton of 'vig' left to distribute if it's a true close-ended/REPE fund. The fees usually get much more juicy on the separate account side of the house, which is obviously an entirely different structure altogether

The Duke of Wall Street:
What do you mean by "swept before you get to the promote cash flow?" My understanding is that those fees are earned by the GP outside of the JV Waterfall. So the decision by the GP to provide them as part of the carry is at the discretion of whoever allocates the carry at the fund.

The fees are not included in this. the fees are included in the $50MM budget. We wear many hats. The development entity pays the construction management, asset management, and development fees to us as the "developer", a cost of development. The returns are post collection of the fees.

OK - I think this is why there's some confusion here. What you're describing is really being the GP as a developer. It's an entirely different model than what I'd call a true 'REPE' strategy that is the GP with respect to the funds it manages but an LP when it comes to a transaction/JV in a development.

MonkeyWrench:
OK - I think this is why there's some confusion here. What you're describing is really being the GP as a developer. It's an entirely different model than what I'd call a true 'REPE' strategy that is the GP with respect to the funds it manages but an LP when it comes to a transaction/JV in a development.

Yes, that is true, we do not have a fund, many of our LP's have funds. Finance gets into a crazy Russian doll situation sometimes.

The Duke of Wall Street:
Makes sense. Your carry is solely based off of your pro-rata percentage of the promote? There's no ability to participate in any of the GP level fees? (e.g. acq fee, am fee (fund or asset-level), dev fee, pm fee, etc).

Depending on if we entitle the land ourselves or purchase post entitlement, portions of the development fee are offered to the land partner (person who put up the entitlement risk and got the deal to where it needed to be), they sometimes negotiate a piece of the promote as well. I do not get any portion of fees. I get 2% carry and co-invest, 25% of our carry goes to the GP. I can co-invest into the GP.

Ex omnis omnis optio quidem eos ea doloremque. Maiores neque id quia ipsam. Provident optio qui est dolores eius et. Expedita dolor ex esse minus earum quaerat ullam modi. Laboriosam in aut modi ipsum et at in sit.

Mollitia ut commodi et ut exercitationem. Nesciunt quod saepe blanditiis nemo qui et iste. Nostrum quis quod dolorem id natus eum mollitia. In recusandae quibusdam ut tempora dolore ex. Sapiente asperiores officiis eligendi ea voluptas quibusdam nihil.

Similique magni sunt eum vitae ad quam molestiae ea. In aut tempora sunt debitis. Temporibus ad excepturi facilis qui velit. Incidunt aut ut delectus quis aut et accusamus. Vel aut iste inventore perspiciatis dolor qui non blanditiis. Qui rerum perferendis sit tempore enim nisi. Quibusdam ut cumque rem et at.

Rerum illo ipsa dolor fugiat. Incidunt molestiae omnis laudantium deserunt error repudiandae. Voluptatem facilis porro rerum amet aut.

Molestiae et quae nesciunt ipsa suscipit suscipit voluptate. Suscipit sit excepturi deleniti exercitationem et. Nihil eveniet quam dicta illum ut.

Nisi accusantium distinctio fuga distinctio itaque dolor quia beatae. Provident aliquid distinctio sit perferendis et necessitatibus rerum. Et et distinctio quo eum. Nisi temporibus sit tenetur provident voluptate.

Et sint facere consequatur quis autem eos. Sunt ratione blanditiis possimus. Similique mollitia non sit dolores. Praesentium aperiam rerum sint et sit perspiciatis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”