Post MBA Roles at F500 Companies

I'm transitioning after 5 years in the military and trying to clarify my goals post-MBA (had a humanities undergrad degree). Looking at various employment reports for top business schools, I noticed most people go into Finance or Consulting but then there is also a significant portion of the class going into "corporate" roles at F500 companies like Johnson and Johnson, Amazon, etc.

Does anyone know what type of roles people who take those jobs are filling? Is it mostly general management/product development type roles?

I am currently undecided between pursuing a career in IB, marketing or working for one of the aforementioned companies, if I can get more information on what type of jobs MBAs usually get with them.

Thanks for your help!

I just went through undergrad recruitment - I can't imagine the types of roles are that's different, only in seniority. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I interviewed at some F500s and got the impression that general management roles don't really exist anymore. All the roles available were for specific roles: accounting, corp development, legal, marketing, product development (generally engineering). I saw a few "Sales" roles which I imagine would be fairly generalist but didn't look into. Strategy roles, though not universally available, could be classified as management ish, but you'll still be learning a specific skill within a specific team. Even roles advertised as rotational generally only mean rotating within the teams of one group.

The majority of F500 post-MBA roles are in marketing, product management, operations and finance. There are some strategy and sales roles as well, but those are rarer. And there are a few true rotational/general management programs that move you through different roles and subsidiaries (most prominent example is Danaher).

But Noctus, I think you need to spend some time researching what these functions actually mean, and which ones you would enjoy doing. Marketing and investment banking are vastly different, work-life balance is probably the most superficial of the differences.

Best Response

I think you've got a pretty good list there. Most of the common ones are the first ones you named though you (intentionally) left out the LDPs (FLDP, LDP, etc.).

I think it tends to vary more by industry - almost every industry hires some folks for corporate finance roles, many CPG / tech firms hire for marketing. Corporate strategy is also very common across multiple industries, and PM roles really primarily just exist in tech. I see a lot of LDPs across industries, including industrials and some of the ones that are more B2B (less marketing here).

Corp dev is a lot less common out of business school, though it is possible. I went the consulting route, but did land one corp dev offer with a Fortune 25 type of firm. Corp dev I think does care more about prior experience than most of these other roles though.

I don't know if any one role at one firm is particularly "easy" (e.g. PM at Amazon only is pretty narrow), but if you pursue any of these aggressively, in the aggregate you're highly likely to land a few roles you're happy with. As far as the most common ones, I'd say it's corporate strategy, PMs (in tech), corporate finance, marketing, and LDPs (the fldps often are the way MBAs start on the corp fin track).

thank you!! this was a very detailed post. appreciate you elaborating on the LDPs.

I had one question about corporate strategy. I heard it's hard to get straight out of an MBA program unless you had previous consulting or finance experience. And most people in f500 corp strat are ex-MBB or tier 2 consultants. Is that true? Do you need to do management consulting before moving to industry for corp strategy? Or do many people go straight from MBA to corpstrat?

Thanks!

Molestiae quo nam voluptatem et laboriosam quo. Vero consequatur temporibus dignissimos nihil labore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”