Profile Evaluation: MSc in Finance at LBS, LSE, Imperial, Said or MIT


Hey Everyone,

I am currently in my second year at Business school and want to take my Masters in Finance in either UK or in the US.

My preferred schools:
- Imperial MFIN
- Said MFIN
- Judge

I dont know any universities in the US other than Princeton and MIT that offers a MFIN. I dont think I stand a chance at those two. Is there any other universities in the US I should check out?
My plan after school is to getting into IB at a boutique investment bank, preferrably in London or in NYC.

Quick Stats:
University: xxx (Top ranked business school in xxx, Source: Financial Times)
Degree: Bachelor of Science in Economics
Current GPA: 4.3/5. (I dont know how UK converts that GPA into their grading system)
GMAT: 720

Work experience:
- Summer Analyst at a Securities firm specializing in fixed income.
- After the summer internship I started working part time while studying. (been working in this position 1/2 a year now)

  • Currently in pursuit of a 2nd summer intenship.


Do I have any chance in getting admitted in any of the schools listed above?
Personally I would love getting admitted into LBS MFA, but I fear my GPA is a bit weak.

I just began my fourth semester, so there's still room for some improvements on my profile before admitting. Any suggestions for improvements?

Comments (17)

Most Helpful
  • Prospect in IB-M&A
Jan 15, 2020 - 1:31pm

Your profile is strong.

LSE: Unlikely, given their academic focus they focus a lot on GPA, research etc.
LBS: If you can improve your GMAT by 20pts or more, you have a pretty good chance. They value work experience and strong GMAT scores.
ImperialCollege: You could get in with your current profile.

I have no idea about US schools.

*EDIT: I forgot to mention Said. They have the same approach as LSE, so I think that your chances are similar. That being said, Oxford is a top brand, but Said is not on par. If I were you, I would aim for LBS


Jan 15, 2020 - 1:45pm

Thanks for a helpful response. I will try to improve my GPA, but I doubt I can improve it more than 20pts through 1 semester.
My plan was admitting after this summer.

Do you have an opionon on what is better:
- admit an early application with a GPA of 4.4 after summer OR
- Wait to apply after the fifth semester (January 2021) with a GPA of 4.6

I have one terrible grade in a subject that will improve my overall GPA alot (20pts) if i retake it. I cant do it this semester because it collides with another subject, so unfortunately I have to wait a semester.

  • Prospect in IB-M&A
Jan 15, 2020 - 5:41pm

It is not an easy decision. It is easier to be admitted in the early application period, so I think that maybe the increase in GPA would be offset by the increase in competency.

I think that your best chance would be to keep your GPA as high as possible, retake GMAT and increase it to +740 and apply during early application round. I think that if you manage to increase your GMAT before applications open, you have a really solid profile for most of the programmes, being Imperial College your safe bet and LBS a very probable option


  • Prospect in IB-M&A
Jan 15, 2020 - 5:47pm

It can put you at disadvantage. It depends on what GMAT score could you achieve. If you take GMAT and score well over 700, it will be a disadvantage for you to not take it, because your profile will be worse than what it could be. However, a lower score (under 700) would make no contribution to your application. Think that avg LBS MFA GMAT score is approx 720, so they get plenty of applicants with high GMAT scores and probably a good number of applicants with CFA.

CFA shows that you are really devoted to finance, but GMAT is what matters the most when applying to B.S.


Jan 15, 2020 - 3:45pm

Can't hurt to apply to all. Also, Said is a strong brand name with on-campus recruiting.

As for the application process I would probably wait until January of 2021 with the strongest GPA - that would put you within the 1:1 bracket, rather than a high 2:1.

Also, just a heads up on the London recruiting; if you have a Norwegian passport there could be VISA issues and you would most likely need a sponsorship. You're also gonna start recruiting before the first semester starts which could be a hurdle as you have yet to receive any grades from the uni you enroll at.

I don't know... Yeah. Almost definitely yes.
Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

September 2020 Investment Banking

  • Director/MD (17) $704
  • Vice President (45) $323
  • Associates (257) $228
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (37) $203
  • 2nd Year Analyst (142) $153
  • Intern/Summer Associate (134) $141
  • 1st Year Analyst (565) $129
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (546) $82

Leaderboard See all

Jamoldo's picture
LonLonMilk's picture
Secyh62's picture
CompBanker's picture
Addinator's picture
Edifice's picture
redever's picture
frgna's picture
NuckFuts's picture
bolo up's picture
bolo up