Wow super impressive. Will BBs/EBs follow suit? It's almost funny considering just yesterday there were tons of people bashing interns on other threads saying there was 'virtually no chance' of direct FT conversions but then again they were also probably referring only to IB.

Yeah that's why I think that thread started to die. Too many opinions on there and nobody really knew what was gonna happen. Gonna be an interesting next couple of weeks where there will be new company updates every single day.

Array

LEK also cancelled their internship and gave all interns a FT offer. Honestly, the reception to this idea among the interns has been universally positive. I think the top consulting firms like McKinsey and Bain, where almost everyone gets a return offer (90-100%) should all do this, rather than give the interns a shity and useless virtual experience that will be pleasant for nobody.

Controversial

Chill, dude. The past week was huge for primary credit markets. Strong restructuring banks are turning down business. DCM desks at BBs and restructuring groups at EB are doing quite well. Bank of America came out today stating their internships and full time offers are in tact. Other banks will likely follow. Sorry your consulting gig was cancelled, no need to instill fear in all the aspiring bankers here though.

Hey. I’m an incoming SA in DCM. Can you talk more about what’s going on activity wise in DCM right now?

No clue for DCM but a lot of firms are reaching out to my team (Investment Bank Short to Medium Lending at BB) for products to increase liquidity until Q3-Q4.

As in, firms are asking for loans with the expectation their business will be bacl to normal by Q3-Q4.

The past couple weeks included record setting days of debt issuance, particularly for strong investment grade companies. Several of them are either anticipating the need for cash in the future or issuing as an insurance policy against potential weakness in the coming months despite the increase in spreads versus the historical lows we saw in February.

Any advice for sophomores? I was interviewing for their women's consulting experience program (obviously won't happen this summer). Worried about the impact on the next intern class.

Guys shut your mouth you are scaring the interns. It is equally likely, that Banks will do the same and no the conversion rates at banks is not that much worse.. (+70%). I am 100% sure that all SA's will get a FT offer this year due to the circumstances. Especially the BB interns in NYC

Tell me of one single group at a BB in NYC that strictly takes 50% or less every year... I don't know of one single group that does that. I know for a fact in my 5 years at GS that the offer rates varied extremely and we had years where we just hired 64% and years where we hired 90%. This is just going to be a year where we hire 100% and it is not going to hurt us at all. However, be reminded, that laydowns become more likely as you approach Analyst 2 and 3.

Ya feel like this could be highly dependent on the bank. Some banks are known for giving 80 to 90% of interns offers, whereas others are known for overhiring and then giving significantly fewer offers.

This doesn't make sense. I wrote an answer similar to this in another thread- I will repeat it here: It would be nice to say everyone will get an offer- like apparently PwC has done. However, PwC and the big four in general give offers to usually 95-100% of interns. I've worked both at a Big Four and at a BB and they are completely different when it comes to recruiting. It would be great to say of course everyone should receive an offer, especially when you can't even tell the interns apart when it's all virtual. The reality is that banks simply do not have spots for every intern. Over the multiple summers I've worked at a top BB it was always the case where there are 4-5 spots for FT and like 6-7 interns gunning for it- that's how they run things. Maybe this will be a wake up call for BB banks but I seriously doubt it, but one thing I can guarantee is that there is a zero percent chance of each intern receiving a FT offer automatically. It just isn't feasible. This is not to cause fear, but I am simply being rational- wishful thinking leads to people being ill prepared for reality.

Nah Jefferies had insane revenues in 1Q beating all records so much so that if they made literally $0 in 2Q it wouldn’t even be that bad of a first half. Also they have a strong balance sheet and massive liquidity. They’ll be fine. They also have a pretty decent RX team. Only problem for them is that LevFin is getting crushed right now and that’s a major part of the business model so who knows we’ll see it really depends how long this thing lasts.

Back when I was in college evaluating the consulting vs IB path, I was under the impression that it was easier to get an IB internship than consulting one (more slots available in IB), but easier to get a FT consulting job than IB (consulting more receptive to not having a directly relevant background before and high % of IB SAs convert) - could be a reason why automatic conversion in IB is less likely to happen. Maybe that was an entirely wrong perspective, but just a thought.

One thing that nobody has mentioned in this thread is the simple fact that right now no one can work in the office in NYC whether you are a SMD or SA in NYC because IB is not considered an essential business... and... even when the curve starts to flatten there are significant fears that opening back up too early would be akin to starting all over again. My personal expectation is that FT employees won't be back in the office on June 1 let alone interns...

Has anyone heard anything about Deloitte and the other Big 4s for internships? Deloitte seems to be the only Big 4 staying quiet so far. I am an incoming advisory analytics intern at Deloitte for this summer in NYC.

i think lek was for undrgrad also according to comments above. AT Kearney one is first time I hear of it, could this be the new trend? any one hear anything else? hope everyone is safe and healthy

Array

Ex aut libero earum est aliquid. Ab cumque consequatur et vel aut ad ducimus. Est quibusdam sequi ullam ducimus possimus. Distinctio non maiores ad ea similique. Nobis esse alias corrupti. Voluptatum corporis doloremque fugit illo rerum.

Illum sed nihil error ut commodi. Aut dolore non dolores molestiae.

Vitae id ut non occaecati. Et et doloribus illo voluptatem veniam voluptatum. Dolor sint est ipsum quia. Eius exercitationem neque deleniti aut quis nulla non. Qui delectus quis dolor consequatur delectus vitae dolor. Quas et omnis eos vel aliquam maiores. Molestias ipsam vel eos odio hic voluptas reprehenderit.

Quam ratione qui vero aut. Et harum aut recusandae et labore ea. Accusamus dolorem sint consequuntur laborum vel natus consequatur. Et sit ipsa voluptas voluptatibus. Iste et repellendus eveniet aut omnis eaque et. Recusandae laborum enim commodi unde sed aut dolores odio.

Non vel suscipit repellat harum. Consectetur impedit tenetur qui ratione. Minus sint totam facere quas quisquam. Repellendus atque et vitae dicta adipisci rerum ipsum.

Aperiam inventore itaque dolorem neque. Optio doloremque aut reiciendis possimus aut est a.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”