Should I retake the GMAT? 710 (41Q 47V 6AWA)

As title states. I am trying to get in to H/S/W with UT McCombs as a safety school (I live in Austin). Sloan also a choice. I have 14 years work experience and can 100% attribute my poor Q score to the fact I haven't had a real math class in 16 years.

I think if I applied myself and retook, I could get 42-44 on Q but likely not better than that. I also risk the V coming down, on practice tests my range for V was 39-51 (dont ask me how I scored perfect on V in practice but I did!).

I got a 49 Q 38 V with the same 710 percentile. I would think that applying to H/S/W would require a higher Q score but I’m no expert. overall I was happy with my 710 and I don’t want to retake the test, but I also wasn’t shooting for H/S/W MBA. when applying for grad school, your entire application package matters. if you are relying on a superb GMAT to offset some lacking part of your app package then you might consider retaking. overall I think 710 is pretty good, tho. I am not retaking mine

Successful career in tech followed by F100 marketing consulting in pharmaceuticals followed by CTO roles at 2 successful startups (10-20MM valuation, 6-7 figure revenue). I am a career switcher looking to go to the other side of the table, PE/VC or something similar. Maybe IB, not sure if I will like it. Thanks for being interested.

I (think) I have a great essay, and I know I have good references. My application is strong, but I would be willing to go through GMAT hell again if its important. Don't want my app thrown out because I've got Q41.

I would try posting to the forum below, it looks like an actual consultant may answer your questions. The post is a bit outdated though so not sure.

Even if a consultant doesn’t answer you there, I still think it would be a good idea for you to speak to one. Just because it seems like you would be a very unique applicant.

https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/get-an-edge-on-the-competition-a…

Most Helpful

The 710 itself is fine. In my day (quite a while ago) it was the norm across the MBA business schools">M7. Numbers have crept up a bit. It's more about how the 710 plays into the rest of the application.

• Are your career goals realistic? Based on your profile, VC or an operating partner role at PE might be. IB is not. And you'd hate it, even if you got it.

• Is your UG GPA at least a 3.3, ideally 3.5? You're clearly smart. But were you at least an okay student? If both of your stats are a below average (they're not poor, but the 710 is below average for HSW/Sloan), then schools need the rest of your profile to be above average.

• a 44Q and a 720 will be a better result, cosmetically, than what you have now.

• your age/WE makes you a non-traditional candidate, even if the actual quality of the WE is very much what schools like to see. So, a lot will come down to fit (from numbers all the way to goals to subjectives/intangibles).

• I get the idea, at your age, of "HSW or my hometown safety", but it's weird to throw Sloan in there. If you up the Q a bit and with the caveat of everything above being true, I could see Haas, which has a strong brand and is a player in the tech space, taking an interest (they trend older anyway - 14 years' WE is old anywhere, but people with 8-10 yrs' XP arre way more common at Haas than at H/S).

EDIT: source - I got into multiple schools with a GMAT at their median, some great stuff in my profile, and some clear weaknesses too. Was an admissions reader & interviewer at my MBA business schools">M7 so I knew the process cold from the inside.

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

My grades were not good...3.0 GPA in an online career college. I worked FT all through college, school was a side show for me. Had my bachelors at 20 years old and joined the workforce. I have a good story in my essay to talk about why that I won't go into here.

Thanks for this! Haas was not on my list, but since we are asking here is my list for R1 and R2:

R1: HSW, Sloan, UT McCombs (safety) R2: Booth, Kellogg, Stern, Columbia, Rice (safety)

I will be honest, outside of HSW and McCombs, I don't know much about the other schools...picked them because they are MBA business schools">M7. Sloan is in the list because I have a friend my age who just got in, and he encouraged I apply. He had good things to say so I am going to give it a go. I am trying to limit to 10 to not become overwhelmed. I will look at Haas, maybe drop Rice and replace, as I am fairly confident I will get an accept at UT McCombs and don't need Rice as a 2nd safety school. That said, I really am looking to get into Wharton and when it comes down to it if I get an accept there I will stop looking.

I should mention Wharton adminissions rep got back to me on my question of retake and said " we agree that your plan to target a Q45 is great and will put you in a more competitive spot". So I am going to give it a go. Thank you for the feedback!

You're welcome. Two main points of feedback:

1) 10 applications isn't realistic. There is some reusability in essay content, but not enough to put together a compelling candidacy. Everyone with more than half a drop of personality thinks they write great essays. The reality is that most essays are incoherent babble that completely miss the mark.

I applied to five schools in R1 (admitted at four). I was working on two/three more, and immediately stopped. Schools have to believe that 1) you're the talent they're looking for and 2) you'll take their offer.

You're not in a terribly good position for 1) and you won't do a good job of conveying 2) if your application has a cookie-cutter feel to it in terms of motivations. Hint: virtually every school has a form of "why is our school the right one for you?" question to it.

2) your mix of schools.

Let's say you apply to four schools per round (which is a lot).

Your starting stats make you weaker than the average admit at the MBA business schools">M7, so you're going to have to work overtime to convince them they should give you a spot instead of a 27-yr-old version of you (F100 marketing and startup leadership experience), but has a 730/3.6GPA from a brand name undergrad.

So, it would make more sense to approach R1 with two MBA business schools">M7 (since you're so gung ho on it), might as well make it Wharton and Sloan one top 15 (Haas?) one safety (UT Austin)

if you strike out, or only get into UT Austin, then consider an R2 with:

Stern Rice

Safety, for you, is more like in the top 20-30 range. You may not want to attend.

Sorry to break it to you like this, but you're vastly underestimating how laborious a successful MBA application season is, and vastly overestimating your competitiveness as a candidate. Consider it tough love.

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

Have you considered the Sloan Fellows program at MIT or the Stanford MSx programs? Both are full-time, one-year programs aimed at professionals with more than 8-10 years of work experience. They also weight experience more than GMAT, although with mediocre grades you may need to take the GMAT for these programs too.

A higher quant will definitely help you.

Linda

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

I'm considering attending a 1-year finance MS program to make up for a poor BS gpa. Is that something that makes sense in the ultimate pursuit of an M7? My current undergrad is under 3.0 from a decent state school, so I'm willing to spend the time/money to make up for it, but am not sure how this reflects on business school applications.

BEtayouthenme

You're not the OP so I don't have much context. Certainly high grades in an MFin would help you show that you know how to study and have the ability to excel in graduate-level management courses. Might be overkill in terms of both time and money from an admissions perspective. THis would be particularly true if you are older, like OP. On the other hand, if relevant to your career goals it could be a good move. For MBA, you'll need to make clear why you want an MBA in addition to the MFin, but that's doable.

For more suggestions on handling a low GPA, please see https://blog.accepted.com/what-to-do-about-a-low-gpa/ .

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

I have considered. I have put all of those programs including EMBA in the "what I do if I don't get into an MBA target". From what I can tell (and I haven't looked at every program) they all have later application deadlines, so I will have time to find out what happens in round 1 and 2, and then decide on EMBA, MSx etc. Some of the schools don't allow applying to both (like Booth), but I figure most things can be navigated with exceptions.

If I could go back in time and take my undergrad classes again and do better I would. This has definitely been a lesson in doing all things worth doing well, because you never know when your work will be scrutinized.

Voluptates repellat commodi fugiat facere excepturi. Assumenda et repellendus dolor quidem reiciendis recusandae. Consequuntur dolores voluptate soluta accusamus animi. Eos quod et perferendis in officia ipsa rem.

Ipsam qui explicabo blanditiis et. Ducimus ad provident sit rem perspiciatis et rerum. Id iure deserunt corrupti veritatis. Est delectus tenetur voluptatem impedit nam recusandae.

Minima tempore et reprehenderit corporis sit error. Quis ut consequuntur at debitis blanditiis.

Qui impedit sed illum. Expedita veritatis non animi odio expedita molestiae. Qui quia voluptas autem rerum minus. Eius consequatur aliquam nisi. Eos molestias ut quis delectus aut id veniam fugiat. Non dicta et velit unde odit.

Blanditiis in non quibusdam maxime aliquid. Perferendis et et deserunt rerum sed qui. Minus unde officia temporibus consequatur.

Ea accusamus consequatur aut est quasi. Quia rerum voluptatem quo error. Maiores eum qui molestias atque ab asperiores animi.

Non et nesciunt adipisci cumque quia asperiores mollitia. Tempora qui accusantium iure reprehenderit. Optio aut culpa at dolores amet qui quam. Pariatur voluptate ut reprehenderit tempore et.

Nostrum est repellendus nemo magnam sint. Accusantium et perspiciatis explicabo facilis. Quo doloremque est et. Voluptas similique doloremque aut aliquid aliquam totam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”