SO BASICALLY... Everybody all my friends from the Class of 2010 (Duke) in IBD has officially been laid off.

Seeing a friend's FB status earlier today that said something like "officially my last day at goldman. it's been a good run new york. shit happens. i'm out" has officially made him the last friend I knew from the class of 2010 who still held onto an invsetment banking job.

I knew about 30+ guys who got jobs in IB, some in bulge brackets, some in boutiques. All class of 2010, a few 2009.

So i'm the only one left (that I know of). YIKES.

all the shit we went through to try to get a career in IB and at the end, to get booted out - NOT WORTH IT.

ibangedmybosseswifeandalligotwasthislousytshirt:
Seeing a friend's FB status earlier today that said something like "officially my last day at goldman. it's been a good run new york. shit happens. i'm out" has officially made him the last friend I knew from the class of 2010 who still held onto an invsetment banking job.

I knew about 30+ guys who got jobs in IB, some in bulge brackets, some in boutiques. All class of 2010, a few 2009.

So i'm the only one left (that I know of). YIKES.

all the shit we went through to try to get a career in IB and at the end, to get booted out - NOT WORTH IT.

The class of 2010 and 2009 will be 2 to 3 years into their analyst stint. So you should think about how many of these kids were actually laid off vs. how many left for PE/grad school/etc.

couchy:
Well, its going to be a shit storm. M&A is at a low. IPOs are on hold. Bonuses are going to suck... Layoffs are coming.

m&a seems to be picking up though - a ton of sellside processes have just launched in the last month or so.

I've been seeing more and more big sellsides run by boutiques (Moelis, Evercore, etc) with a bulge just as co-advisor to provide the staple - this combined with the huge hit in ecm revenues (and horrible trading profits) means I wouldn't be surprised if those guys pay much better bonuses this year

to stay on topic though - analyst programs are rolling off this month. I wouldn't be surprised if many of your friends left on their own because they had something better lined up and weren't laid off

Best Response
workerbee:
While this is a smaller sample size, the Arizona State '09-'10 class in IBD (NYC) is still over 90%. Abeit there is only like 15 people scatted at various firms, GS, DB, CS, etc.

I am shocked that ASU managed to send that many people to BB firms in NYC. How did they do this? Did they all graduate from Barrett (the honors program)? ASU is a great school...for parties but is not otherwise known for academic rigor at all. I know a professor at the Carey business school who used to teach at NYU. He said that the student quality at ASU has absolutely nothing on NYU and similar schools. He has to dumb down the curriculum so that the students can actually manage to graduate somehow...once they are done partying and binge drinking that is.

For the record, I LOVE ASU (Go Sun Devils!) and Tempe is a neat college town that I felt right at home in. I have quite a few friends there, thou most of them are in graduate school. Plus their chapter of my old fraternity is fantastic and throws great parties and all. And also the girls are hot and the nice AZ weather allows them to wear revealing outfits all year long. So this is not meant to be put down that fine school.

Too late for second-guessing Too late to go back to sleep.

PetEng:
You realize ASU has 50K students, right?

PetEng - Wrong. Its actually more like 72K students on campus, approximately 8k students in the business school and ~2k finance/accounting/economics majors. On a percentage basis thats less than 0.1% to give perspective. I would totally agree with Brandon's points. The 12-15 that placed did their summer internships and got full-time offers in S&T, M&A, LevFin. A few are associates now, some moved into the buy-side. Again a rare few. Most were in a specialized focused program for IB.

With that said, yes, most of the kids at ASU are complete retards and idiots. They are more likely to be club promoters in Vegas/SD/LA or move back home than do anything in corporate finance (except financial advisory sales). The professor is absolutely correct. But for a small few number of individuals, they have the resource of 72k student university that is really utilized by a hand full of people. Its definitely a social school more focused on partying in Scottsdale on Thurs/Fri/Sat nights than studying. There is no real deep intellectual interest in their majors for the majority. However, the professors are defintiely top notch and world-class. The school is able to lure these guys knowing most want to teach, do research and play golf all year around.

Facilis aut numquam asperiores tempore quo excepturi quibusdam ratione. Ut vitae non accusantium explicabo libero quia. Corrupti esse temporibus eius ipsum eos. Recusandae necessitatibus ut modi ut. Adipisci nisi eligendi quia minus aut quis.

Rem molestias nihil eum eligendi voluptatibus explicabo. Distinctio quod quaerat voluptatem a. Recusandae alias cupiditate temporibus consectetur quasi perspiciatis quia adipisci.

Veniam non dolorem aspernatur ut sed. Laborum veritatis vero tempore enim consequatur magnam rem. Ipsum dolorem impedit dolor laborum accusantium nam. In qui soluta maiores fugiat cupiditate deserunt et. Laboriosam quod eligendi debitis a. Expedita et quo illo sed aut. Earum dolores quasi enim accusamus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”