Those who leave finance

By browsing on this forum, it shows that finance (IB,PE,HF ) is not something that is for everyone ( long hours, sacrificing relationships, etc). So out of curiosity, have any of you guys know anyone who completely left the industry and do you know what they are doing know.

Wont describe in detail for anonymity -- but left banking to run stategy / finance at a tech company. No longer use much of the in-the-weeds techicals learned in finance but lots of soft skills etc are transferable to most other work in corp world. Thing I miss the most is the camaraderie

Interested in this. Other than the camaraderie, how has the switch been?

I'd say I'm in a bit more of a unqiue situation -- father is retiring from a LMM company in tech space and rather than sell to PE a few years back I decided to forgo finance and move in to transition him into retirement. The learning curve was incredibly steep as he comes from an engineering background and finance is all I've ever known. It helps to have him as a crash-course guide I can go to whenever I have technical questions.

By Camaraderie i'm referring to having a gruop of juniors who "came into the boat with you" and have some bonding over even if just effing aroudn late night in the office. You lose a lot of that when you go into corporate in general

Most Helpful

Am switching to a medical career as I find finance / business to be very superficial and not meaningful in the way I want. At the junior level, I feel like I am some outsourced research analyst who learns about an industry and puts slides / analyses together for a few days (or in the case of deals, a few months) and then does the same thing but for a different industry / company. At the senior level, I would still feel like I am not an expert in my field and am just getting by through reading research reports and BSing my way through (with the fear of always getting caught and people realizing I know nothing) - also, having to win deals just to put money on the table is pretty much a sales job, which I am not good at at all and does not interest me.

I believe medicine is a lot more rewarding and something I can see myself doing even 20 years from now. Of course, nothing is that rosy but knowing that everyday I am helping people out and doing something benefitting other people is a great feeling compared to just shifting companies around between PE firms or investing in opportunities just to make money.

I have researched post bacs and found Columbia to be one of the best as they have great linkages to med schools:

https://gs.columbia.edu/content/linkage-specific-program-requirements

You don’t even have to take the MCAT for some, but caveat is that this program at Columbia is hard as hell and expensive AF.

If you don’t get the required GPA/requirements, you have to apply on your own without the linkages.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Have definitely known about this post bacc and heard it is really hard and not worth it when grades matter a lot more than the school you went to. I think many people just attend thinking it's a great Ivy name and that would mean that they would get into med school that way. However, the school you go to does not matter that much at all for med schools.

Analyst 2 in IB - Ind:
Have definitely known about this post bacc and heard it is really hard and not worth it when grades matter a lot more than the school you went to. I think many people just attend thinking it's a great Ivy name and that would mean that they would get into med school that way. However, the school you go to does not matter that much at all for med schools.

I think you failed to click on the link that I pasted showing the guaranteed linkages:

https://gs.columbia.edu/content/linkage-specific-program-requirements

Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (Israel) Medical School for International Health in Affiliation with Columbia University Medical Center School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Cumulative GPA: 3.46 Science GPA: 3.45 MCAT Must be taken no later than April of the year in which the applicant wishes to matriculate

Additional Considerations The Medical School for International Health welcomes applicants who seek a medical education that includes extensive classroom, clinical, and fieldwork experience in global health and international medicine.

Columbia University College of Dental Medicine School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Undergrad GPA: 3.5 Postbac Premed Science GPA: 3.5, with no grade lower than a B DAT Minimum Scores: Academic Average: 22; Reading Comprehension: 22; Perceptual Ability: 22 Must be taken no later than April 15 of the year in which the applicant wishes to matriculate Coursework All required predental coursework must be taken at Columbia.

Additional Considerations The College of Dental Medicine welcomes applicants with unique academic and employment backgrounds, who have been engaged in activities other than formal education between college and the present.

Candidates must have a bachelor's degree from a U.S. or Canadian institution AADSAS must be submitted by December 31

Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Undergraduate GPA: 3.5 Postbac Premed GPA: 3.7 MCAT Linkage nominees must take the MCAT no later than mid-April Linkage nominees must attain an overall MCAT score of at least 518 ( ~ 96%) Coursework All required premedical science coursework must be taken at Columbia One year of English, which may be completed in a college/university department of English as a Postbac Premed student, or as a part of an undergraduate degree program (one course must be in composition or writing expository prose) One year of biology with lab One year of physics with lab Two years of chemistry, one year of which must be organic chemistry with labs Additional Considerations A developed interest in extra-curricular activities is welcomed, and evidence of leadership in such activities or in other areas is highly desirable.

Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Combined Undergraduate and Postbac GPA: 3.5 No Postbac Premed science grade below B CASPer Must be taken early in January and no later than two days after nomination.

MCAT Not required. In lieu of the MCAT, applicants must submit SAT or ACT scores.

Recommended Scores

Score ≥ 80th percentile SAT: ≥ 1410 ACT: ≥ 32 Additional Requirements United States citizenship or permanent residence Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the United States

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Combined Undergraduate and Postbac Premed GPA: 3.5 Postbac Premed Math and Science GPA: 3.7 MCAT Linkage applicants are not required to take the MCAT.

New York Medical College School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Postbac Premed GPA: 3.6, with no grade lower than a B MCAT Score: Not less than 85th percentile overall Score must be submitted no later than June 1 of year of entry Additional Considerations A desirable applicant is one who has pursued post-college experiences that reflect a commitment to health care and humanism in service to society.

New York University School of Medicine School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Undergraduate GPA: 3.5 on a 4-point scale, with no BCPM* grade lower than a B Postbac GPA: 3.8, both at the time of application and upon completion of the Postbac Premed Program Combined cumulative undergraduate and Postbac GPA: 3.5 Composite science GPA (includes all undergrad and Postbac BCPM* courses): 3.5 with no grade lower than B. *BCPM = biology, chemistry, physics, and math

MCAT Minimum Overall Score: 520 Minimum Overall Percentile: 98% Minimum Section Score: 129 Should be taken no later than end of April of the year in which the applicant wishes to matriculate Additional Considerations NYU School of Medicine seeks "excellence in experiences, attributes, and academic performance" in the linkage candidate Interviews are conducted once MCAT scores are received Previous applicants are not eligible to apply Applicants accepted through linkage can immediately apply to open spots in the three-year program or through the opt-in process, the first of which occurs at the end of the first year

Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Combined Undergraduate and Postbac GPA: 3.6 MCAT Stony Brook anticipates a competitive score on the new MCAT to be approximately 515 (combined total from the four sections) Should be taken no later than early April of the year in which the applicant wishes to matriculate Additional Considerations One semester of biochemistry must be completed prior to matriculation (Postbac Premed students who have taken BIOL UN 2401/2402 are exempted from this requirement) Research experience a plus

Rutgers New Jersey Medical School School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Postbac Premed GPA: 3.5 MCAT Cumulative score of 512 (with no sub-score below 127) Should be taken no later than the end of May of the year in which the applicant wishes to matriculate

Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Postbac Premed GPA: 3.6 Undergraduate GPA: 3.0 MCAT Score: Above the mean (500), i.e., above the 55th percentile Should be taken no later than early April of the year in which the applicant wishes to matriculate

SUNY Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Undergraduate Science GPA: 3.3, with no grades of D, F, W, or incomplete Undergraduate Cumulative GPA: 3.4 Postbac Premed Science GPA: 3.5 MCAT Should be taken by May 24 Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems: 127 or higher Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills: 126 or higher Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems: 128 or higher Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior: 127 or higher Total Score: 509 or higher Additional Requirements Bachelor's degree* Minimum of one year of full-time study at an accredited U.S. college or university Two semesters of English course work (must be equal to a minimum of six credit hours in the semester system), which may be completed in a college/university department of English as a Postbac Premed student, or as a part of an undergraduate degree program at a U.S. college or university A record of significant commitment to community service and helping the disadvantaged Medical experience or medical employment involving interaction with patients Research experience a plus *If bachelor's degree is from an overseas college or university, a WES course-by-course equivalency is required as part of the application.

The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Undergraduate GPA: 3.0 Average Postbac GPA for Admitted Students: 3.8* *In the last five years, most applicants who have been offered admission through linkage have presented average Postbac Premed and undergraduate GPAs of 3.8 and 3.6, respectively.

MCAT MCAT scores are not required.

Coursework Biochemistry (satisfied by taking Contemporary Biology (BIOL UN 2401-2401) Organic chemistry lab is not required No grade of D or lower on academic record Additional Considerations In addition to the general criteria noted above, Alpert Medical School is particularly interested in PB students who meet the following criteria.

Became interested in medicine as a career after college Have been engaged in activities other than formal education between college and the present Rhode Island residents Members of groups traditionally underrepresented in medicine Age 25 or older Note: The above are not hard and fast requirements, and some may be more important than others. Postbacs are always encouraged to discuss them with their advisors.

Trinity College Dublin School of Medicine School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Postbac Premed GPA: 3.3 MCAT MCAT scores are not required.

Coursework Organic chemistry lab is not required.

Apply Application to the Trinity College Dublin School of Medicine through the Atlantic Bridge Program.

University of Michigan Medical School School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Undergraduate GPA: 3.2 Postbac GPA: 3.7 No science grade lower than C MCAT University of Michigan Medical School will admit conditionally-accepted linkage students with a score in the 85th-100th percentile range; conditionally-accepted candidates who test below this range will be holistically reviewed again by the Admissions Executive Committee for a final decision Should be taken by mid-May (but preferably before May) of the year in which the applicant wishes to matriculate

University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Undergraduate GPA: 3.0 or higher Postbac Premed GPA: 3.5 or higher with no grades lower than B- in required math and science courses MCAT MCAT scores are not required.

Additional Considerations The school is strongly oriented to the humanities. It is where the biopsychosocial model of medicine was developed and this model continues to inform the school’s pedagogy.

Weill Cornell Medical College School Website

Linkage Program Requirements Grade Point Average Combined Undergraduate and Postbac Premed GPA: 3.75 Postbac BCPM* GPA: 3.75, with no grade lower than a B *BCPM = biology, chemistry, physics, and math

MCAT Cornell does not require linkage applicants to take the MCAT.

Coursework All required premedical science coursework must be taken at Columbia Two semesters each of biology, chemistry, and physics, with lab Two semesters of organic chemistry with lab Two semesters of writing-intensive courses, one in the humanities or social sciences, and one in English literature Two semesters of mathematics recommended but not required Additional Considerations Applicants should possess significant demonstrated commitment to, and involvement in, activities (including employment) during or after college Experience in research, especially biomedical science research, a plus Cornell regards linkage as, among other things, a means to expedite matriculation at medical school as soon as a Postbac Premed student has completed academic preparation

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Analyst 2 in IB - Ind:

It just occurred to me that you seemingly don't understand the concept of linkages.

Fuck yeah it’s difficult. Getting into med school in the US is notoriously difficult.

I’ve read nearly everything on SDN about Columbia - it’s hard as fuck. There are many people who spent tons of money for the post bac pre med program and didn’t make it.

I would feel enormous pressure to succeed if I was ever in that program and paying full price for it. I’ve interviewed at Columbia U to try to get in for free, but they hired someone else for the position. I don’t feel comfortable paying full price for that program at this stage in my life.

What do you mean that you interviewed there to get in for free? Did you apply to the post bac at some point in your career recently? Are you thinking of going to med school?

Yeah, the thing with med schools is that they don't care much about where you got your grades from. In this case, it's better to get a higher grade at a lesser known school than to not do as well at Columbia.

I interviewed with the head of Columbia University HR to fill a financial operations position to work FT at Columbia in a sort of corporate finance type role and possibly be able to take classes there for free.

Analyst 2 in IB - Ind:
it's better to get a higher grade at a lesser known school than to not do as well at Columbia.

No doubt

I also have studied for the MCAT and the opportunity to get a 3.75 or something in classes even if they are hard is much more alluring to me than having to ace that exam.

I do much better cramming for exams in classes than dealing with an exam with so much breadth like the MCAT.

It's a fair question. IBD gives you some very specific but narrow skills. Interesting to see what others have gone off and done afterwards. I know one trader who became COO of a restaurant chain, a former IBD ED who started an ecommerce site, an associate in ER that became a kindergarten COO, several ppl who joined tech companies in ops/strategy roles, a couple who left IBD to start a HF, and a fair few former finance ppl who went on to do boutique IBD or capital introduction / placement agent work.

growing up I lived on an orchard. I used to love picking fruit and digging holes. Give me a pickaxe and I can tear up a field for planting like there's no tomorrow. That was my favorite thing. Give me a field to tear up and I'm just thrilled. I LOVE working outdoors, with my hands, doing manual labor. I can stack bricks and build a wall and put in irrigation pipes without rest. I wish manual labor paid better. I think it would be so nice to be able to support a family on that.

Joined a tech company in a strategy role and then moved to becoming a product manager. Ended up making more than I would have staying in finance which was certainly not my initial expectation.

Hey if you don't mind could you share a little more information on the transition and how you went about it. Were you in IB before you moved to the tech company? Why did you decide to leave finance? How similar/different was the work? Did you have to learn some technical knowledge on your own to be able to transition into the PM role? Thanks!

My story is similar to yours. I was in FAS (NYC) recently before I got laid off, and just took a job offer as a product manager in a fintech company in APAC. Haven't started yet. A startup that has ~500 ppl. Before FAS, I did a long-term equity research internship.
I self-studied Python and SQL on an intense pace --- SQL is not hard to learn, while Python is more difficult, it's syntax is not as complicated as say Java. These are good for data analysis as a PM; product management courses from Coursera, and read a couple PM books. The position I am going to also requires some knowledge in blockchain --- read a book, some papers and articles.

Do you have to learn some basic technical knowledge to transition into a PM role? I believe so. You need to understand what a product manager does, the responsibilities and some common/popular PM processes in case you are asked during interviews. SQL/Python/Some other coding languages would be helpful in data analysis or working with the engineers. Soft skills gained in finance would be very transferable.

I decided to leave finance --- given its fintech PM maybe not completely --- after thinking hard about where I want to go next. My plan is to learn mobile deveolpment and start a company, or at least be able to write well-functioning apps in the next two years. I want a role where I can be closer to how businesses operate and what it's like to build products. I've admitted to myself that conducting valuations based on client expectations (the client told me to use a 5% discount rate while the valuation was supposed to be "independent"), fixing powerpoint margins at 12am, waiting for comments that "might come in " at 2am on Saturday morning, or drafting research notes that are supposedly valuable (90% of sell-side equity research is probably worthless) is not exactly what I want. I'm not saying there aren't aspects that I don't find the profession interesting --- I made efforts to break in at the first place. It's just not what I truly want.

Explicabo in modi qui rerum consectetur. Vero deserunt repellat dignissimos cum est blanditiis dolorem. Voluptas voluptatum id enim illo consequatur et et.

Voluptatem repellendus id consequatur sunt. Quibusdam delectus at unde iusto dignissimos. Reprehenderit ut unde exercitationem et dignissimos. Facere soluta fugiat ratione deserunt.

Laboriosam blanditiis laboriosam tempora quia et velit et. Quos libero dolor voluptatem qui minus ab architecto. Ipsam est eum consequatur ab voluptate nihil. Exercitationem nostrum ut dicta facilis eum eos sequi.

Voluptas doloremque ut dolorum voluptatem sunt rerum. Asperiores iste consequatur nemo reiciendis. Illum aut in non fuga nostrum dolor accusamus. Temporibus soluta quia commodi animi voluptas sed. Ipsam harum ea ex reiciendis reiciendis consequatur voluptatem minima.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”