Summer was at MM IB, received return but decided to recruit and signed FT with a not-quite EB. I will say that a pretty big drive behind wanting to move banks was a personal thing, and it is highly unlikely I would have taken the risk for prestige/comp alone. It worked out for me but I literally have no clue how everyone else at the superdays fared, so take my success with a grain of salt.

Do you happen to have any advice for the process? When did your return expire and when did you get the not EB offer? If you don't want to expose, would you mind PMing me? Thank you!

Most Helpful

Summer: intern at regional office EB.

FT: Recruited at NYC EBs and MF PE analyst roles, ultimately signed with MF

From my understanding of the process, the best time to reach out to people was about 4-5 weeks left in the summer internship. Realistically, it's when you have enough experience to justify wanting to switch banks/groups without being too late and missing the boat for interviews. For two of the banks I targeted, I got put on the FT interview shortlist after just one phone call and the analyst/associate I was speaking with told me there was no need to reach out and network further; HR would just reach out for an interview.

I went back and forth about reaching out to people before the summer started, ultimately decided not to except for an analyst that I had a very strong connection to. (ended up being an 2 hour coffee chat about recruiting and the group and what not). However, he recommended I wait until halfway through the internship to start networking.

The process for interviewing moved incredibly fast. I'm talking phone interview + superday + offer in a 72 hour window the week after all the summer interns finished.

Thanks for your insight. I'm in a similar position for the upcoming summer. Could you PM me? I'd be interested in hearing more about your process.

Thanks for info.

Two quick follow-ups: when recruiting for FT in NYC, did you find that there was any sort of stigma against you because you did not intern in NYC?

Also, regarding pre-summer networking, I was of the school of thought that it might be better to try sending out emails in May to establish a relationship before an internship... but do you think this sounds like a bad idea? Like the perception might be that you're already sending out feelers for other firms/departments before you've even started your internship? And I wonder if you might have a different opinion if it turns out that the interships turn out to be virtual for the summer.

Okay, thanks!

How did you network while doing your internship at a EB? Wouldn't you be working until late at night? Also, since you were in a smaller regional office, wouldn't it be harder to sneak out and make a call during the day?

Summer: Specialized IB Boutique in SF Didn't get return offer FT: Signed with other Specialized Boutique in NYC 1. Did zero networking before applications 2. Only recruiting for NYC roles (I'm from the WC) 3. Was only looking at Boutique (no BB / non MM)

Thanks for sharing and glad it worked out for you. As an East/Non NYC intern looking to transition to the west coast, do you have any tips for the FT process at SF banks?

Thanks for info. Two questions...

How did you spin your not getting a return offer? Was it difficult getting NYC interviews since you didn't intern there the summer before?

Okay, thanks!

Did your return offer expire by the time you were interviewing with other banks? In hindsight, would you recommend networking prior to the internship ending?

Did my junior summer at top BB IB (MS/GS/JP), non-nyc, did not receive return due to headcount.

Accepted FT at EB IB (EVR, CVP, PJT). Happy to answer any Qs

Would you love to hear what you said when they asked about why you didn't get a return offer? Did you prove yourself during the interviews by mastering technicals? On campus or off campus process? When did you start FT networking?

Sorry, that might be a lot so I can PM instead if you prefer.

Array

1. I accepted my FT in NYC and originally hail from this area. I explained it was a mutual decision given my team knew I wanted to be close to home. I left on good terms and had them listed as my main reference.

2. I proved myself by having a great story, and showing that I knew exactly what is going on in this industry/LOB.

3. Off-campus. I'm non-target.

4. Mid-Summer when it was clear I didn't want to be living in [Insert Tier II market here]

Summer: EB in SF (received return offer)

FT: One of GS/MS/Q

Started networking with ~3 weeks left in the summer, interviews kicked off first week of august. I interviewed with everywhere I networked - as long as you have a well thought out reason for leaving, folks will be very receptive to speaking with you / advancing you in the process (in my experience at least)

Glad it worked out for you. I imagine you're still based in SF? I'll be interning in a MM tech group non NYC looking to transition to the West coast/SF due to the tech presence/stronger banks. Do you think this move would be feasible? Any tips for SF IB? Thank you!

You mentioned that as long as you give a reason why you're leaving, people are receptive to listen...

Did you state the reason in your introductory email? Or was the first email more general, as in "I just would like to ask you about your experience at X in the Y department?"

Okay, thanks!

Summer: NYC EB, received return offer

FT: Applied for FT at top BBs, other EBs with slightly better exit opps, didn't receive interviews for any of the above. Interviewed for MF PE analyst role, didn't get the offer. In the end, accepted the NYC EB return offer.

School: non-target

Out of curiosity, what do you think made it hard to get interviews from EBs for full time? Thought having done an EB internship should get you interviews from other EBs as well. Thanks so much.

That's a good question...I think there were a few factors in my case:

(a) I didn't start aggressively networking until the second to last or last week of the internship out of fear that word would get out I was shopping around. In retrospect, I should have started a few weeks earlier

(b) It was a tough year for headcount on the street. PJT M&A had one or two open spots I think, both of which were filled about by the time I was conducting outreach. GS Classic was totally filled by internal transfers.

(c) EVR rarely looks at non-targets in my experience. I didn't get any traction on my outreach.

Summer: Finance at F500

FT: EB IBD in NYC

Cannot overemphasize the importance of developing real relationships with people during "networking." Especially key for FT recruiting since there are so few lateral spots, and most other contenders will have someone pulling for them, too. Process was initial call, more formal phone interview, superday, and modeling test.

Thanks! Addressed my lack of IB experience head-on. Specific project I worked on over the summer at the F500 firm was pretty technical and related to an M&A transaction. Talked about all that I learned from that, and stressed the importance of having an operator's point of view within a sea of new grads that have only ever done IB. Obviously kind of a tough sell relative to other top-group BB summer analysts looking to lateral to an EB, but I figured it was my best angle (and also valid).

Decided the only way to really make my pitch compelling (and overcome the lack of IB) was to crush the technicals. Got all the major guides and crammed to learn everything. I think the 400-question guide is a good starting place. Also picked a couple companies and built DCF and LBO models for them for practice. Ultimately, making my own models for practice before the superday started feeling like a waste of time because it was taking longer than anticipated to master everything (and I got stuck in the weeds a couple times), but it was actually crucial knowledge when they sprung the modeling test on me.

To be honest, it was tough because not that many banks had open positions and many times, the competitive banks would have numerous people who were already networking and in close contact with members of the firm since the early summer. Most banks don't specifically plan to have open FT positions but depending on the summer intern performance, they have to recruit again. This may happen even as late as now if the summer interns they thought would accept actually end up turning the offers down.

Interned my junior summer at a lower MM bank and didn't have a return offer and was able to recruit FT for a MM bank. Both banks were in SF. Process was fairly quick beginning in late September and ended in October. My understanding is some of the MMs don't look to compete with the BB's FT recruiting and are less strict/organized on the timing of their FT processes.

I would recommend that if you had a return offer from your SA stint and enjoyed the team/culture, I wouldn't bother with FT recruiting as there are far less opportunities than SA recruiting. More than anything you risk burning bridges with your existing group when trying to jump ship to a "better" bank. I would only recommend FT recruiting if you felt you didn't fit in or liked the culture of your current group - not to move up the ladder of prestige/comp.

Thanks for your input. Did you go to school in the West Coast? What if you're looking to transition cities? I'm really interested in SF IB and was wondering if you could help me identify the stronger players (MM) in SF as there's limited info.

Yes, a non-target in the bay area. I can't speak to transitioning cities as I have always been generally in the bay-area. In regards to which MMs are strongest in SF, I think it is very dependent on each bank's coverage group. SF IB is much smaller than NY and most banks only have a healthcare, tech or consumer group in SF. With that in mind, I would narrow your search to coverage groups you are interested in (not sure if there are any product groups in SF) and look for which MMs are the strongest in those areas. As a starting point, I would say the strongest MMs in tech are Jefferies, Wells Fargo, and RBC and the strongest in Healthcare are likely Piper Jaffray, Cowen and Jefferies. That being said, this is also very dependent on the group as I know some of these banks are stronger on the M&A side vs ECM or vice versa. But this is how I would approach your search, on a more group/sector specific level as not every MM bank is good at everything.

Interned at BB (BAML, CS, Barclays). Got return offer

Interviewed with almost every boutique except for Lazard and Moelis because they recruit later. Signed with EB.

Can't emphasize the importance of networking to get Full-Time interviews. Half of the firms I interviewed with didn't even have an online application. For selective places such as GS, PJT, EVR and MF PE, having a partner or principal vouching is only sure way to get an interview because everyone will try to jump ship making it competitive. Best of luck all.

Thanks for your input. Would you mind PMing me (your anonymous so I can't PM)? l'll be in a similar position as yours next summer and I would to ask you more questions.

Summer was MM IBD in NYC. Got FT group specific offer (coverage) at one of BAML/Citi/CS. I was involved in multiple processes at other BBs and EBs but took the one I got immediately, mostly because it’s a top group for an industry I am interested in. I had begun reaching out to friends as soon as my internship started, but the formal process was very quick for me. I was surprised that my FT interviews were completely technical free and only about what I did that summer and “fit” questions.

Many times, the firms will trust your experience at your prior firm given the things you did or said you did on your resume. Of course, they will try to establish that you actually know what you're talking about, but at the same time, they are at least assured that you can do the job and just need to focus more on whether you can actually work with them or not (fit).

I know of some people who lateraled to better banks after their first year and for a good chunk of their interview processes, they were mainly asked non-technical questions. Of course, some banks are notorious for throwing model tests and the like at you like Evercore but for the most part, banks trust that you have good experience in banking and can actually do the job. Again, fit is more important for them to assess for lateral candidates as well.

You need to continue to network and look up the various banks' open positions. Never stop hustling (I know it's harder than it sounds but you never know when a position might become open and because you networked, you were able to get into the process compared to anyone else).

Banks definitely post open positions for even FT entry-level IB positions on their job boards. For example, there is currently a BB that is looking for two FT 2020 analysts and has posted this position for the past month. I don't want to outrightly say it but those who are even slightly serious about getting an FT IB position will do the research and apply to this posting/network their way in.

Enim aut laboriosam eum nemo laborum doloremque. Voluptatibus ea modi magnam. Aut blanditiis voluptatem sunt. Et eum sit vero accusamus placeat voluptates voluptatem iusto.

Minus sed nam rerum. Quo officiis deserunt odit ducimus ullam suscipit et non. Quis assumenda odio velit sed molestias. Earum porro ut deleniti aliquam. Perferendis eligendi natus quos consequuntur. Est ad vitae nulla molestias dicta reiciendis. Similique unde nemo saepe dolores dolor.

Rerum nostrum nulla facere animi enim sed. Qui dolores consectetur culpa culpa. Quo unde iure voluptas ratione eum maiores voluptatum. Maxime quaerat unde voluptatum quidem cupiditate eos ipsa. Suscipit qui temporibus distinctio in nostrum nemo.

Ut neque rerum in repellat soluta. Eveniet laborum veritatis molestiae totam illum sint rerum tempora. Maxime pariatur quia autem voluptas qui. Dolorum debitis omnis modi corporis iste. Nesciunt similique ipsum et. Quis tenetur similique ut dicta excepturi modi.

Optio quo rerum ratione aut facilis. Quasi maiores et quis illum cumque corporis. Amet sit quia est optio voluptatum dignissimos inventore. Iure ut libero culpa repellendus. Accusantium veritatis molestias fugit dolores.

Nisi omnis et animi pariatur. Odio repellat nihil dolorem molestiae non veniam dolores.

Dolores id asperiores adipisci. Sit nulla adipisci quos ut et eum vitae impedit.

Aut exercitationem a nobis esse omnis. Quis animi facere mollitia itaque eum quam vitae. Architecto sed velit non ea. Sint facilis aut iusto iste. Atque consequatur iusto eaque facere. Quidem dolor possimus animi rerum. Vel eum qui impedit voluptatibus occaecati ullam quia.

Totam perferendis corrupti est voluptatem architecto autem placeat. Nostrum molestiae autem exercitationem quis nulla.

Dolorum et nisi aperiam molestiae et et et. Explicabo sint esse id ducimus eum fugiat accusamus. Possimus veniam hic labore libero ut sapiente quisquam. Ut eos nisi id eius voluptatem corrupti quod. Aut quidem enim necessitatibus veritatis officiis amet. Rem qui placeat atque enim. Est ipsum harum suscipit voluptates mollitia ut accusantium est.

Nihil assumenda qui vitae. Sint enim rerum qui vitae. Minus qui qui qui ut quasi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”