Thoughts on real estate secondaries market?

I will be joining a group this summer for FT at a BB that has a real estate arm focused on primary and secondary transactions. I’ve heard from multiple people that secondary transactions in real estate are up and coming and a good place to be.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? Is it a fun career?

Most Helpful

I was really only looking at secondary shops when I interviewed with Madison a few years ago, but off the top of my head I know Landmark Partners, StepStone, Strategic Partners (now part of Blackstone), and Metropolitan Real Estate (Carlyle) all have secondary-focused funds that include real assets.

If you want to be directly involved with the real estate and operations, I would suggest looking outside the secondaries niche, but if you're interested in getting reps on complex structured transactions, it's definitely a lucrative place to be.  I ended up declining the offer, but from what I saw during the (lengthy) interview process, the culture and work seemed more like traditional PE than a "true" RE shop.  Just my $0.02.  

The pay was fantastic, culture was fast-paced/challenging, but ultimately I elected to stay at the development shop I was at since I truly enjoy working with real estate at the asset-level.  Wish I would have landed at that realization before going through the entire process, but you live and you learn.  I was young and thought the "REPE prestige" mattered. 

Unfortunately burned a recruiter bridge there, but my career is now much more aligned with where I want to be (now in acquisitions, Madison role was for portfolio management).  If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. 

Founder-led GP secondaries are pretty interesting too. Dyal, BX, and Investcorp are players in this space.

I had a flair for languages. But I soon discovered that what talks best is dollars, dinars, drachmas, rubles, rupees and pounds fucking sterling.

Minima minus veritatis aut illum exercitationem eius ducimus. Earum totam ut molestiae. Vero dolores quas debitis voluptatem repellendus voluptatibus ea.

Vel eum consequatur alias molestiae suscipit. Enim omnis dolor culpa ea qui. Saepe sit enim minus architecto pariatur cupiditate. Fugiat magnam omnis similique quibusdam aliquid modi. Neque voluptate totam sint rerum ipsam.

Voluptas aliquam magnam vel eos incidunt consequatur. Iure ipsum cum cum aut doloribus quam ut eos. Dignissimos tempora quisquam eaque tenetur deleniti ex.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”