Toronto Summer 2018 Rent Advice

As an intern for summer 2018 at a big 5, I'd greatly appreciate advice on where to live downtown TO. Where did you live and how much rent did you pay? Any advice?
My friend would like to share a studio in Yorkdale, but I'm thinking closer to work. Thank you!

I'm here right now from Jan - April, lucked out finding a place. I've heard really mixed things about the residences, but its definitely the cheapest. Look on padmapper, kijiji and craigslist for students looking to sublet though, you might find a really good deal.

If you give me a price range I can help some more.

I think I'm looking to pay around $1500. My parents live relatively close to downtown, but it's approx. a 50 minute commute door to door via the subway. I don't think I'm going to want to do that if I'm leaving the office late at night. Trying to decide if it's worth the hassle to find a spot downtown or to just suck it up and commute.

Best way to go is to get a couple buddies who are also in banking and try to either a) get a suite-style residence at U of T or b) sublet a place (Bay / Jarvis corridors aren't bad for multi-bedroom).

Are you working in IBD? $1,550 for a SA is a pretty steep, and especially ridiculous if you're considering shelling out that kind of cash to live in a sub-600 sqft overpriced box in mapleleaf square (Okay, but it does have RealSports which may or may not be worth the extra money).

Find a few friends and go live at UofT Woodsworth college (a lot of SAs live here). It's a lot cheaper, and plus you'll have a lot more fun. Take the money you'll save on rent and spend it on entertainment/going out

50 mins door to door isn't impossible, since you'll be TTCing in the morning and cabbing home at night. However the extra 20-30 mins of sleep a day you'll get by living downtown is sooo crucial.

Valk:
Are you working in IBD? $1,550 for a SA is a pretty steep, and especially ridiculous if you're considering shelling out that kind of cash to live in a sub-600 sqft overpriced box in mapleleaf square (Okay, but it does have RealSports which may or may not be worth the extra money).

Find a few friends and go live at UofT Woodsworth college (a lot of SAs live here). It's a lot cheaper, and plus you'll have a lot more fun. Take the money you'll save on rent and spend it on entertainment/going out

50 mins door to door isn't impossible, since you'll be TTCing in the morning and cabbing home at night. However the extra 20-30 mins of sleep a day you'll get by living downtown is sooo crucial.

Yeah, working in IBD. I thought it would be worth it at first but the marginal benefit of extra sleep is outweighed by the cost IMO.

Best Response

Quasi necessitatibus et et ut tempore consequatur. Sit nulla fugiat eius. Accusamus numquam aliquam architecto ipsam aut.

Doloribus atque sed ducimus corporis eius occaecati. Rerum voluptatem magni consequatur aut. Quasi consequatur quibusdam nam eligendi ullam.

Dignissimos quia impedit et perferendis perferendis quis optio. At praesentium dolorum sed et deleniti. Saepe non tempora ea impedit vel. Dolor cupiditate nulla cumque pariatur delectus consectetur.

Quaerat placeat corporis nihil perferendis in. Dolore et qui accusamus corporis dolore voluptas eligendi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”