UCLA for IB: 2021

Hi everyone! 

I'm a current UCLA student and have seen decent amount of posts on this forum recently asking about IB / Consulting / Biz Econ major in UCLA and comparing the program to other schools. There have been a whole lot of other posts on WSO which address this but wanted to start a new discussion for any incoming freshmen to have questions addressed. Unfortunately, I can't give away my background (as it will be easy to find out who I am), but happy to answer any general questions that one might have. 

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (7)

• Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
Apr 7, 2021 - 1:10pm

I'm also a UCLA student going into banking, we probably know each other. My take on recruiting from UCLA is that if you enter freshman year aiming to do banking and have enough social aptitude you'll be fine. There's honestly not a lot of competition here and if you do the necessary things (GPA, internships, extracurriculars) and are able to hold a conversation with bankers I can't imagine you won't get any offers.

• Intern in HF - Other
Apr 7, 2021 - 7:43pm

This is so true, you just need to know that you want to do banking early on, recruit into a few clubs and you'll have people to help you out. If you're diligent during your freshman year, you can make it without a lot of difficulty!

• Analyst 2 in IB - Ind
Apr 7, 2021 - 10:18pm

I'm a UCLA alum who didn't know about IB until I was a junior. Agree that if you aim to get into banking as a freshman or even as a sophomore then there's a good chance you'll be able to land something. In my opinion, the lack of finance classes makes it hard for underclassmen to realize that IB might be a field they're interested in. I was a business econ major and I remember professors talk a lot about big 4 accounting jobs, but I don't remember any talk about finance careers.

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Apr 8, 2021 - 12:08am

Thanks for doing this. I'm particularly interested in tech IB and looking at LinkedIn there seem to be alums in all the top groups I hear about - GS, Qatalyst, Morgan Stanley, etc. Any specific advice for breaking into tech banking? And also what differentiates the students that get those top places from others? Anything to do early on?

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
Apr 8, 2021 - 11:17pm

You need to get in to UBS work shop in order to be considered for Q. Think they only talk to people in that work shop. For MS tech, think they do not hire at UCLA , at least nobody I know break into MS menlo directly out of undergrads

For other groups, just like all the other industry team - you need to be able to talk about news / trends comfortably during the networking calls / coffees and explain why you like tech. You want to show that you keep track of tech news for a long time, not just reading through some headline of news.  

In general, BAML PA, Citi SF, GS SF, Q, RBC SF, Barcap Menlo, CS SF, DB SF, LZ SF, Perella hire quite a lot at UCLA historically 

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

April 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (9) $911
  • Vice President (34) $348
  • Associates (183) $233
  • 2nd Year Analyst (104) $151
  • Intern/Summer Associate (95) $145
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (26) $145
  • 1st Year Analyst (390) $132
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (317) $82