UCLA for IB: 2021

Hi everyone! 

I'm a current UCLA student and have seen decent amount of posts on this forum recently asking about IB / Consulting / Biz Econ major in UCLA and comparing the program to other schools. There have been a whole lot of other posts on WSO which address this but wanted to start a new discussion for any incoming freshmen to have questions addressed. Unfortunately, I can't give away my background (as it will be easy to find out who I am), but happy to answer any general questions that one might have. 

I'm also a UCLA student going into banking, we probably know each other. My take on recruiting from UCLA is that if you enter freshman year aiming to do banking and have enough social aptitude you'll be fine. There's honestly not a lot of competition here and if you do the necessary things (GPA, internships, extracurriculars) and are able to hold a conversation with bankers I can't imagine you won't get any offers.

I'm a UCLA alum who didn't know about IB until I was a junior. Agree that if you aim to get into banking as a freshman or even as a sophomore then there's a good chance you'll be able to land something. In my opinion, the lack of finance classes makes it hard for underclassmen to realize that IB might be a field they're interested in. I was a business econ major and I remember professors talk a lot about big 4 accounting jobs, but I don't remember any talk about finance careers.

Thanks for doing this. I'm particularly interested in tech IB and looking at LinkedIn there seem to be alums in all the top groups I hear about - GS, Qatalyst, Morgan Stanley, etc. Any specific advice for breaking into tech banking? And also what differentiates the students that get those top places from others? Anything to do early on?

You need to get in to UBS work shop in order to be considered for Q. Think they only talk to people in that work shop. For MS tech, think they do not hire at UCLA , at least nobody I know break into MS menlo directly out of undergrads

For other groups, just like all the other industry team - you need to be able to talk about news / trends comfortably during the networking calls / coffees and explain why you like tech. You want to show that you keep track of tech news for a long time, not just reading through some headline of news.  

In general, BAML PA, Citi SF, GS SF, Q, RBC SF, Barcap Menlo, CS SF, DB SF, LZ SF, Perella hire quite a lot at UCLA historically 

Most Helpful

Lotta bullshit on this thread. UCLA should be a last resort choice if you are a high school senior who got into any other comparable school. UCLA is pretty much the only top 20-30 school without any school or faculty supported IB programs. In general, UCLA offers very little career development and the school doesn't care whether or not you land a job after graduating. As a result, your experience there will only be a function of how much work you put in.

If you're accepted into one of these three clubs: Bruin Asset Management, Bruin Hedge Fund, or Bruin Value Investing (which are all student run i.e. you need to make friends or have friends in these groups) then you're going to be fine. They will walk you through the process, help you land interviews, train you, etc.

If not, you're pretty much screwed and will have to do EVERYTHING yourself, which is overwhelming. You'll need to figure out applications open dates/deadlines, firm-specific interview tactics, technical interview questions/practice, behavioral questions, resume tips, and general guidance all on your own like you would if you just went to any non-target school. That's also only assuming you're able to land an interview in the first place which will require constant networking, thousands of cold calls and emails, and a lot of rejection. 

Don't get me wrong, UCLA is an awesome school with a great culture, solid party scene and has strong career paths into a lot of different fields, but as a current Bruin, if you have the option of attending really any other top school and know you want to do IB, UCLA shouldn't even be in consideration.

I know it's cringe but could you rank BVI/BAM e BHF? Are they quite different or basically the same for recruiting?

Yeah CS has a pipeline for UCLA, only BB really to recruit from there. However you 110% need to be in one of those three clubs I mentioned or they will not bother responding to you/networking with you, since the kids in the groups try to keep it pretty competitive.

Quisquam sed nihil quas debitis laboriosam quibusdam delectus. In autem sit blanditiis non sint. Ex amet et aut natus in.

Laudantium doloribus nemo dolores totam deserunt eius minus. Repudiandae voluptates exercitationem impedit ab quia. Officiis ut vel maxime perferendis neque qui. Placeat ea veritatis nemo voluptas.

Vitae ut qui eos aut. Tempore est blanditiis sunt exercitationem et. Cupiditate repudiandae earum officia dignissimos. Aut accusamus autem corporis dolorem aut. Facilis veniam tempore itaque quo.

A reprehenderit iste sed qui quas corrupti in delectus. In ipsam aut et qui. Placeat animi voluptates sint voluptatem molestias voluptates. Autem et aut rerum facere molestiae dolorem sit. Et dolores soluta neque maiores ratione quidem eos.

Quasi tenetur non aliquam labore nemo voluptatem. Exercitationem perferendis omnis eum unde. Labore nesciunt tenetur ut ad libero. Suscipit optio enim molestiae id excepturi veniam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”