With regard to style, fit, and longevity?
Wall Street Shoes for Work
Opinions on fashion on wall street oasis vary wildly, especially when it comes to fashion. Some prefer form others prefer function. An analyst may not realistically have the option to spring for eight hundred dollar gucci or twelve hundred dollar Lobbs. Consider that you may get unwanted recognition for over extending yourself on these types of purchases.
No analyst wears Lobbs, and if you did, you'd probably get made fun of for blowing your rent to spend 800+ on shoes.
However that doesn't mean that you should buy low quality goods either. With that in mind we will look at shoes that are highly rated in a moderate price range. These brands and styles come up consistently in conversations between users. These shoes are listed with style, pricing, and consumer ratings. Lastly, aspects like fit should be considered independently. Sticking with conservative styling is important. Therefore most of these will be cap toes, oxfords, and loafers. The brands are Johnson and Murphy, Allen Edmond's, and Cole Haan.
Cole Haan Shoes
- Style: Men's Pinch Grand Penny Loafer
- Price: 170.00
- Rating: 4.2 out of 5 (74 reviews)
- Complaints and considerations: Poor quality sole.
Johnston and Murphy Shoes
- Style: Melton Cap Toe
- Price: 179.00
- Rating: 4.3 out of 5 (412 reviews)
- Complaints and considerations: Needs to be broken in. Slightly more difficult entry and exit.
Allen Edmond's Shoes
- Style: Cap Toe Oxfords
- Price: 425.00
- Rating: 4.4 out of 5 (1,039 reviews)
- Complaints and considerations: Runs slightly larger but more narrow
These are some basic suggestions of "entry level" shoes that will get you through the work day. They are budget friendly and reasonably fashionable.
Here are some more helpful tips buying shoes from top rated user @energyHOU, a sales and trading analyst.
- Stick with functionality and versatility.
- Avoid buying a shoe online if you don't know how it fits.
- If possible stick with all leather construction this includes the upper, lining, and outsole.
- Have the soles redone every two years or so
Read More About Shoes for Work on WSO
- Black Or Brown Shoes With Navy Suits
- Cole Haan And Allen Edmonds Shoes
- How To Dress For Success On Wall Street (Part 2)
Decided to Pursue a Wall Street Career? Learn How to Network like a Master.
Inside the WSO Finance networking guide, you'll get a comprehensive, all-inclusive roadmap for maximizing your networking efforts (and minimizing embarrassing blunders). This info-rich book is packed with 71 pages of detailed strategies to help you get the most of your networking, including cold emailing templates, questions to ask in interviews, and action steps for success in navigating the Wall Street networking process.