Express clothing is nice until you actually buy it. Then you realize how shitty the quality is. I'm not even one of those $300 on a shirt or bust people; I look for deals. Express clothing is tempting because it looks good and is cheap, however, you really do have to refrain from buying it.

Brooks brothers is a good recommendation for something that you won't have to question the quality about, it's just hard to find good looking clothes at BB sometimes. However, if it's for a job environment, BB usually fits the bill.

Personally, I just shop around the larger stores like Macys and Bloomingdales. You can find name brand, high quality, good looking clothes for the same or cheaper than Brooks Brothers.

I find it a continual struggle to find handsome dress shirts that dont wear like a parachute for a young chap who is trim in the waist yet broad in the chest/sholders -but I digress.

The best being I have found includes the slim fit brooks (mentioned), most names from Century 21 or Fileen's Basement, and Zara (dont laugh) -Boss is nice too, but I have a hard time justifying the cost when my damn drycleaners keeps losing my $100+ shirts.

Any other recommendations on good trim fitting shirts?

I get my shirts custom made from a great tailor in Thailand (he's done President Bush, John Kerry, John Travolta, etc.) - he's well known among the expat community.

If you get 5 or 10 sent over, they run about $30-35 (with shipping to the US included) - they are just amazing. Just get a tailor to fill in your sizes (will run you $10-$20 bucks) and email him to get some shirt swatches. Go for the spread collar (Thomas Pink-esq).

his website is http://www.dress-for-success.com/

I swear by Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit shirts. You can get a good deal online.. check out the "clearance" section. Guaranteed something there at least 50% that you can get for less than $100.. I must have 10 of these guys. The only issue is sometimes the buttons fall like to fall off due to lackluster stiching (has happened with two buttons on shirts about a year old).

Latransplant --

Dead on. I also need slim fits -- Boss is great for your really nice shirts for important days. And funny enough, the rest of my shirts are either Zara (which is a guilty pleasure, but they fit so good), given they don't have much of a life span before falling apart, or CK from century 21. What brands at Century or Filine's do you buy??

bmwhype:
I bought three nice looking shirts at Express and the elbow areas ripped within 3 months. Where should i go to get some quality shirts?

Can I ask what you guys to do rip your shirts? I have shirts from express and they have not ripped at all. My black shirt has faded, yes, out of normal wear...but no rips. Am I missing something? Is this because I am wearing the girl version of the man-tailored shirt, where the only primary difference is the breast thingies?

********"Babies don't cost money, they MAKE money." - Jerri Blank********

I pick up random Italian makers from Fileens and C21... I am not big on labels, so I have never really heard of most of them -though some labels I have seen at Saks.

I am the cheapest wealthy fu** I know, so you'll probably not want my advice.

I have had two shirt burn out so far, both were Brooks non-iron slim fit. However, one burned out in about 3 months, the other after 3 years. Its all in how you wear them, elbow tension kills shirts, whereas rolling the sleeves is key.

At my last shop one guy had 5 shirts burn out in one week (he wasn't too happy), every one was from Barney's and cost a shit ton. None were older than a few months, so you can only go with what you like as far as looks in a shirt.

Personally, I roll my sleeves, wear brooks non-iron slim-fits and Thomas Pink. On occasion I wear Elbow pads too.

--There are stupid questions, so think first.

Ah, I see...my sleeves are always rolled up. hahaha.

Rotfl, I'd pay money to see you guys have mouse pads under your elbows. HAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh you guys are too much.

I roll my sleeves up, I don't think it means much either way.

try some glycolic acid cream on your elbows. it might soften the elephant skin there and will be less abrasive on your shirts and will help them last longer. try it, even if it doesnt work its cheaper to try then buying a whole slew of Turnbull shirts.

bmwhype, I have the same problem, pretty limited range of motion before the stitching starts to give... for a few shirts, I buy them a little long in sleeve length and just roll them up, that usually solves it. Additionally a friend of mine who is hardcore into bodybuilding has a ton of custom made. At some point you're going to have to do that, the V doesn't go well with mass-made shirts.

Also I'm pretty sure that glycolic acid cream wouldn't react too well with expensive shirts, just a thought.

Why do all of you guys recommend Thomas Pink? Honest question.

I don't own any and haven't tried them, but their production line has been outsourced to China and Malaysia since LVMH grabbed majority ownership. Is the quality of the fabric and the cut still worth the price?

"Quote from a book/movie about wall street" - Main character in that movie.

Timely article for you: http://www.slate.com/id/2303744/

There are some very good online/remote MTM vendors, as referenced in the above link. I've dealt with Astor and Black before for suits and they were very good, not sure about shirts though. If you are lucky enough to have a body type that is flattered by off-the-rack suits you can save a bundle, but everyone looks better in custom clothing.

Two additional resources you should check out: (1) the forums at Styleforum.net (2) the forums at askandyaboutclothes.com

Finally, if you live in a big city (NYC is best), you can find some really great local tailors who will build a suit for you. I've heard really good things about Mr. Ned (mrnednyc.com) for entry-level custom suiting, but have not been myself.

With reference to the above poster, I think that Thomas Pink shirts are overpriced and overrated. In many cases you can get a fully-custom shirt for the same price or less.

Best Response

Went through this a few years back, tested all the NYC (20 bucks at the time) because I could not find better value for money in the US.

http://www.harvieandhudson.com/c/Turn_Back_Cuff_Shirts.htm

I am not a fan of the pattern used by CT but their super 180s shirts are quite good if you get them for http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-shirts/men's-formal-shirts/White--twill…,||||||||

If you have more, check out Turnbull and Asser in RTW, and consider getting bespoke shirts at the same price point.

http://www.englishcut.com/2006/02/15/bespoke-shirts/ http://www.customshirt1.com/ if you want to buy American.

Remember the rules: double cuffs (chain links if you can be arsed, sterling silver if you really care), stiffened collar (if you want to be formal, you can starch it; really formal, get detachable collars), leave some space for your tie to breathe (so not http://danbizet94.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/how-tie.jpg but http://www.marketobservation.com/blogs/media/blogs/b/CharlieRoseintervi… ), choose white or light blue shirts only if you will wear a tie.

Get a custom tailored herringbone pattern white shirt ($275-325 at a bespoke tailor). It gives it a little texture, and is incredibly versatile. I'm Canadian, and french cuffs are fine here, but I think Americans frown upon them.

The white shirt is a staple of your wardrobe. And, quite frankly, when you pair this shirt with a nice tie and a well tailored suit (ideally bespoke as well) you will feel very confident.

Quick tip for travel, take advantage of the "rush" dry cleaning most hotels have, pack a tide-to-go stick, and pack a ziplock bag of laundry detergent (powder) in case of emergency. Nothing worse on a multiple day business trip than messing up a shirt when you can't get it to the dry cleaners fast enough.

Honestly, while I find spending $100 on a shirt understandable, I have no idea why anyone would spend a whole lot more on it.

Shirts tear all the time. And the biggest thing people notice is how wrinkled it is. At least a few years ago, you could not get wrinkle free shirts over about a $50 price point so you would have to iron them yourself.

Do you really want to do that every single week? Or worse- keep making trips to the dry cleaner's.

Do yourself a favor, go to the Men's Wearhouse and ask them for the nicest wrinkle-free they have. It's at least a Joseph Abboud these days- maybe Armani has them now. Get something that can keep the managers happy but remember that most shirts- even quality ones- only last a year or two, and that if you don't get a wrinkle free, YOU'LL HAVE TO IRON IT EVERY SINGLE TIME IT COMES OUT OF THE DRYER.

For about 100 bucks, you can get tailor-made shirts, which are probably matching what you are looking for. Non-iron and perfectly fitting, so no need to worry about anything but the fabric quality, since the size will be just perfect, and the details will match you specifications, such as wide collar or straight collar, French or regular cuffs, pocket or no pocket ...

For 150-200 per shirt; you will be able to have some of the best fabrics on the market. Imparali on 5th avenue are recommended by all the people in my office.

If you are in New York City, go to CEGO for good MTM. If you will be traveling to Hong Kong in the near future, go to Jantzen for good and inexpensive MTM. I have had great experience with both of them. I only got a few shirts from Jantzen when I went, but honestly if I go back to Hong Kong then I will likely pick up about 10 shirts from them. Great value for the price/quality.

Also if you are in New York City, Joe Hemrajani from MyTailor.com will be in town in the next few weeks, so you could always schedule something with him. I think his MTM shirts are around $100 (can be more or less depending on fabrics etc.). He gets good reviews on SF and ASW.

I understand that people like Thomas Pink, but IMO those shirts are overpriced and always seem to disappoint when I buy them. Only worth it on major sale. For those prices, you can get good MTM.

J. Press is a good look but quite traditional, so if that's not your thing you will probably not like what they sell - I actually really like (and frequently wear) what they sell except their shirts (they fit like tents). Don't waste money on Armani, and Facconable can be good but only bother with it heavily discounted.

Feel free to PM me if you want help with those MTM places.

IP - I really am shocked that you don't buy stuff from SF or eBay, given your penchant for buying on the cheap.

Hi, Eric Stratton, rush chairman, damn glad to meet you.

CRE:

Thomas Pink or Hickey Freeman on sale. They're fucking awesome.

The cheaper alternative is Charles Tyrwhitt, who has a sick sale right now

Does Thomas Pink ever have sales besides Christmas? CT has some crazy sales. Think I've seen shirts there for $30 before.

$200 can get you a fully bespoke shirt in a 200-threadcount fabric from Luxire ($100 can get you 140-threadcount fabric). You have to take your own measurements, though, which is a pain in the ass...If you can, it's better to go to one of their locations and get measured by their associates.

Don't know the price level in the US, but Zegna and Borrelli shirts are awesome. I've few MTM items and with each one there are a couple of things which annoy me. Maybe I'm picky, but if you want 100 % go bespoke, otherwise I'd rather buy a good RTW than a so-so MTM (unless you have a really freaky build).

I've bought one Zegna shirt (in fairness, it was at Century 21- there is always a reason expensive stuff winds up marked 60% off at C21). It will probably be the only Zegna shirt I'll ever buy.

Zegna makes nice ties (that are a little more expensive than I normally wear) and the shirts may be different in Europe but I didn't like the material in the US-sold shirts and they weren't wrinklefree. I didn't see much difference between it and a $25-$30 Eagle Shirt at Macy's, and the $30 shirt cost me $20 less.

Charles Tyrwhitt, Tasso Elba, Joseph Abboud, and Nordstrom's House Brand all make very comfortable shirts that look great too. And they run about $30-50 if there's a sale or you buy at Mens Wearhouse.

Fair enough, but most guys who value quality menswear will look down on wrinkle free/non iron stuff. They're usually chemically treated, and I've yet to find one which I don't have to iron without feeling shabby in the "almost-ironed" shirt look.

BB extra slim fit are pretty good. The issue their style is kind of bland. Their Egyptian cotton shirts are really nice.I think Thomas Pink is pretty solid. Banana has a few ok non irons.

I'll check out the Harvey Hudson. I really like English shirt makers as I think the style is there. You start dropping $150 or more on a shirt and you should look into custom shirts.

As for Style forum, I love the site and enjoy checking it out, but I wouldn't really take their advice. Those guys are beyond finance fashion. Way too hipster. Frankly, I think most of the guys on that forum are dudes working at Starbucks trying to dress like they are titans of industry.

The main impression is not what your shirt makes but what your personality makes. So get yourself some tailor-made stuff for the formals. And don't be worried for informals. Just go for some Bella Canvas long sleeves and you will rock at the meetings' after parties.

Laboriosam magni corporis sequi et consequatur voluptatem. Aspernatur maiores velit accusantium saepe. Recusandae eaque ut eveniet. Odio expedita itaque aut earum ut. Sunt dolorem ipsa dolores maxime nobis. Quia sunt mollitia nesciunt recusandae dolore ab.

Nihil quia nesciunt corrupti cum cum. Assumenda quo non libero. Fugiat rerum optio quam dolorum doloremque. Necessitatibus aliquid cumque et consequatur nulla repellendus unde. Iure eaque non voluptatem provident quia minus praesentium vel. Dolorem eos hic animi est. Doloremque est nesciunt est.

Quasi iusto non quia ipsa nemo dolorem dolor. Neque modi est excepturi expedita. Placeat excepturi optio enim nulla velit corrupti sit modi.

Accusantium temporibus non eos dicta iste molestiae. Et non voluptas itaque ut rerum blanditiis. Quos itaque voluptatem excepturi consequatur.

Ab aut architecto nobis quos. Voluptas dolorem dolore illum. Aut blanditiis placeat ipsum fugiat a.

Itaque saepe blanditiis in. In laborum id sunt placeat quis. Inventore ut et consequuntur rem. Quibusdam aspernatur doloremque et ut. Dolore blanditiis consequatur voluptates voluptatem blanditiis.

Esse veritatis vel recusandae error sequi fugit nesciunt. Laboriosam aspernatur ut nulla dignissimos vitae est. Doloremque repellendus doloremque provident qui quo pariatur autem animi. Aliquid est numquam pariatur mollitia esse sint.

I go to this site and i bought astroworld shirts online.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”