Pages

  • Sharebar

Alright, so here are the options that I'm left with (both from the dealership/store). (Please no judgement from you, IlliniProgrammer =P lol)

2011 Mercedes Benz C300 with the AMG sport package, nav and all the bells and whistles.
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=2011+mercedes+c300&u...

2011 BMW 328xi
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.2012...

Here's what I'm struggling with. The benz looks soo much nicer (both interior and exterior), but the bmw feels better when I'm driving. Please discuss and let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Comments (125)

  • Old Grand-Dad's picture

    I guess it comes down to what is more important to you. For me I would always pick the car that feels better when driving. Looks are just less important to me. Personally I think bmws drive better so I would go with the 328. How about leg room, and trunk space? They're both nice cars so you really can't go wrong.

  • manbearpig's picture

    That's the thing, I just can't decide which is more important to me. The benz feels pretty good too, just not as tight as the bmw. On the other hand, the bmw is still pretty nice, just not as sexy as the benz (imo). That's why its so tough.

    As douchey as this may sound, what about the most shallow of criteria? Which car projects the more "baller" (hate using this word) image? lol

    -MBP

  • In reply to manbearpig
    Jimage's picture

    manbearpig wrote:
    That's the thing, I just can't decide which is more important to me. The benz feels pretty good too, just not as tight as the bmw. On the other hand, the bmw is still pretty nice, just not as sexy as the benz (imo). That's why its so tough.

    As douchey as this may sound, what about the most shallow of criteria? Which car projects the more "baller" (hate using this word) image? lol

    Potential baller-status depends entirely on how you're going to use the car. Are you a cruiser? Like to take leisurely drives and attract attention? Get the Benz.

    Do you enjoy the act of driving? Will you drive fast? Get the BMW.

    An aside: How did you narrow it down to these two choices? There are some other great options in that price range.

  • D M's picture

    328 for sure, never been a big fan of the c-series mercedes

    "You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer
    "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

  • In reply to Jimage
    manbearpig's picture

    Jimage wrote:
    manbearpig wrote:
    That's the thing, I just can't decide which is more important to me. The benz feels pretty good too, just not as tight as the bmw. On the other hand, the bmw is still pretty nice, just not as sexy as the benz (imo). That's why its so tough.

    As douchey as this may sound, what about the most shallow of criteria? Which car projects the more "baller" (hate using this word) image? lol

    Potential baller-status depends entirely on how you're going to use the car. Are you a cruiser? Like to take leisurely drives and attract attention? Get the Benz.

    Do you enjoy the act of driving? Will you drive fast? Get the BMW.

    An aside: How did you narrow it down to these two choices? There are some other great options in that price range.

    I started off with four cars. Audi A4, Lexus IS300, and then the cars I mentioned. I test drove all of them, and just didn't like the lexus that much. The audi was close, but it didn't make the cut because i prefer the look of the benz and the drive of the bmw. They are all in the 45-50K range after taxes and everything so the price isn't much of an issue. Do you have any other suggestions? I'm open to trying out other cars.

    -MBP

  • In reply to Jimage
    manbearpig's picture

    Jimage wrote:
    manbearpig wrote:
    That's the thing, I just can't decide which is more important to me. The benz feels pretty good too, just not as tight as the bmw. On the other hand, the bmw is still pretty nice, just not as sexy as the benz (imo). That's why its so tough.

    As douchey as this may sound, what about the most shallow of criteria? Which car projects the more "baller" (hate using this word) image? lol

    Potential baller-status depends entirely on how you're going to use the car. Are you a cruiser? Like to take leisurely drives and attract attention? Get the Benz.

    Do you enjoy the act of driving? Will you drive fast? Get the BMW.

    An aside: How did you narrow it down to these two choices? There are some other great options in that price range.

    Never answered your question - I haven't driven a lot, ever. Never really needed to. I've been living in downtown toronto since I was old enough to drive. I like the idea of cruising a bit more though. I probably won't drive fast because I'm not interested in getting speeding tickets and paying giant insurance premiums.

    -MBP

  • In reply to D M
    manbearpig's picture

    D M wrote:
    328 for sure, never been a big fan of the c-series mercedes

    Thanks for the input. Anything in particular you liked about the 328?

    -MBP

  • Darkstar19's picture

    IMO, go 335 or don't bother with 3 series. 328 feels really weak when I've driven them. Difference between 300 and 350 is much smaller, particularly with AMG package, and I would go with that between your two choices.

    If you consider the 335 though, I would choose that hands down. Or if you're willing to spend a little more... S4.

  • MrDouche's picture

    I'd go with the Benz, but if you're barely scraping by in NY, do not purchase it. Save your money to start your own thing or get ready to take on some serious financial obligations like a family, house and kids.

    Wife drives an ML and I have an S. We do not subsist on an associate/VP salary.

    One thing to consider: Many, many people suspect that those who drive the C-class cannot easily afford a Benz or are just starting out professionally and trying to make an outsized name for themselves. I would recommend an E-class so that you don't get lumped into that category, even though you're looking at an AMG.

    I rich, smarts, and totally in debt.

  • D M's picture

    I actually like the look of the BMW more than the c300, and I also like the way it drives better, too. Plus, beemers are cheaper as far as upkeep (from what I've heard), which is a plus

    "You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer
    "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

  • Weaponized Cum's picture

    Have you checked out the Infiniti G37 sedan? I have a G37xS

    I was originally looking at the BMW 335i/M3 and Mercedes Benz C350/C63 but after test driving them I decided to go with the Infiniti. It's a little bigger on the inside than the BMW and MB offerings and I realized that while they're really nice, I didn't need anything as "extreme" as the M3 or C63. I live in Toronto too and take the subway to work everyday so I really only use my car in the evenings or weekends.

  • In reply to D M
    Weaponized Cum's picture

    D M wrote:
    I actually like the look of the BMW more than the c300, and I also like the way it drives better, too. Plus, beemers are cheaper as far as upkeep (from what I've heard), which is a plus
    BMW has no charge scheduled maintenance for the first 3 or 4 years of ownership but they're not cheap cars to maintain (assuming you take it too a dealer, independent mechanics are a different story).

  • In reply to MrDouche
    manbearpig's picture

    MrDouche wrote:
    I'd go with the Benz, but if you're barely scraping by in NY, do not purchase it. Save your money to start your own thing or get ready to take on some serious financial obligations like a family, house and kids.

    Wife drives an ML and I have an S. We do not subsist on an associate/VP salary.

    One thing to consider: Many, many people suspect that those who drive the C-class cannot easily afford a Benz or are just starting out professionally and trying to make an outsized name for themselves. I would recommend an E-class so that you don't get lumped into that category, even though you're looking at an AMG.

    I live in Toronto, which is considerably cheaper than NY as it is. Though I don't make close to investment banking money, I'm doing alright for myself. Have a monthly after tax cash flow of about 7K, and my mortgage is only 1500. Food is another 500, and on top of that I have about 60K in savings, so I'm considering just buying this car with straight cash (I'll be able to negotiate the price down at least 6-7% this way). I could go for the E, but I'll probably need to finance about 15-20K of it, which isn't the end of the world, but I don't want a big car because they're gas guzzlers. The E is gorgeous though - absolutely love it.

    You bring up some interesting points about the image a C class will project. I'm only 24, so I don't care if people think I can't afford a "better" benz (most of my friends from HS can't even afford their own rent payments). I don't, however, want to give off the impression that I just want a benz and I'll buy the cheapest one I can find. I would imagine people with this attitude would buy a used benz, which I'm not willing to do...

    -MBP

  • In reply to Weaponized Cum
    manbearpig's picture

    Weaponized Cum wrote:
    Have you checked out the Infiniti G37 sedan? I have a G37xS

    I was originally looking at the BMW 335i/M3 and Mercedes Benz C350/C63 but after test driving them I decided to go with the Infiniti. It's a little bigger on the inside than the BMW and MB offerings and I realized that while they're really nice, I didn't need anything as "extreme" as the M3 or C63. I live in Toronto too and take the subway to work everyday so I really only use my car in the evenings or weekends.


    It's a great car, but my brother just bought it 2 months ago. lol, I don't want to get the exact same car as him.

    -MBP

  • In reply to manbearpig
    Jimage's picture

    manbearpig wrote:
    I started off with four cars. Audi A4, Lexus IS300, and then the cars I mentioned. I test drove all of them, and just didn't like the lexus that much. The audi was close, but it didn't make the cut because i prefer the look of the benz and the drive of the bmw. They are all in the 45-50K range after taxes and everything so the price isn't much of an issue. Do you have any other suggestions? I'm open to trying out other cars.

    I strongly encourage you to look at Audi S4s. They are slightly more than your quoted price range, but you could look for a lightly used one (hard to find because people love them).

    Also, if you're into cruising with the car, I would look at a fully-loaded Hyundai Genesis sedan. I'm sure I'm going to take some crap on this board for saying that, but it's actually a great car. Very nice looking, excellent options, etc.

  • In reply to Jimage
    manbearpig's picture

    Jimage wrote:
    manbearpig wrote:
    I started off with four cars. Audi A4, Lexus IS300, and then the cars I mentioned. I test drove all of them, and just didn't like the lexus that much. The audi was close, but it didn't make the cut because i prefer the look of the benz and the drive of the bmw. They are all in the 45-50K range after taxes and everything so the price isn't much of an issue. Do you have any other suggestions? I'm open to trying out other cars.

    I strongly encourage you to look at Audi S4s. They are slightly more than your quoted price range, but you could look for a lightly used one (hard to find because people love them).

    Also, if you're into cruising with the car, I would look at a fully-loaded Hyundai Genesis sedan. I'm sure I'm going to take some crap on this board for saying that, but it's actually a great car. Very nice looking, excellent options, etc.


    lol, dude I'm not getting a hyundai. I love the S4, but not as much as the m3 or c63. If I want to go in that price range, I'd rather go with one of the other options.

    -MBP

  • ThaVanBurenBoyz's picture

    Agree with the S4 recommendations. Get a manual, and have a blast. They're fun as hell.

  • Universite's picture

    Use Unhaggle to purchase your car. Best. Invention. Ever.

  • MrDouche's picture

    I wouldn't use your money right now. Interest rates are cheap. I think you're cutting it way too close to purchase a $50,000 car in any case. Save it so that you aren't tied down. I say this as someone who bootstrapped a transition to entrepreneurship from finance. But if you do a Benz, avoid the C-class. Even a used E or S will give you more cachet than a new C. Same for 3 series and S4.

    A new C will actually call into question your earnings more than anything from my friends or myself.

    There is a lot of money to be made in this economy if you're clever and have guts. You won't make it if you spend it on a car or are an associate for that matter.

    I rich, smarts, and totally in debt.

  • In reply to manbearpig
    Jimage's picture

    manbearpig wrote:
    Jimage wrote:
    manbearpig wrote:
    I started off with four cars. Audi A4, Lexus IS300, and then the cars I mentioned. I test drove all of them, and just didn't like the lexus that much. The audi was close, but it didn't make the cut because i prefer the look of the benz and the drive of the bmw. They are all in the 45-50K range after taxes and everything so the price isn't much of an issue. Do you have any other suggestions? I'm open to trying out other cars.

    I strongly encourage you to look at Audi S4s. They are slightly more than your quoted price range, but you could look for a lightly used one (hard to find because people love them).

    Also, if you're into cruising with the car, I would look at a fully-loaded Hyundai Genesis sedan. I'm sure I'm going to take some crap on this board for saying that, but it's actually a great car. Very nice looking, excellent options, etc.


    lol, dude I'm not getting a hyundai. I love the S4, but not as much as the m3 or c63. If I want to go in that price range, I'd rather go with one of the other options.

    Just humor me and watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY-J7topqJQ

  • D M's picture

    Are you a big car guy, like you're really into them? Because honestly I would just lease one if I were you. I hear Mercedes has some pretty insane leasing deals right now.

    "You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer
    "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

  • njmonkey46's picture

    Just go big and get a lambo.

  • In reply to Jimage
    manbearpig's picture

    Jimage wrote:
    manbearpig wrote:
    Jimage wrote:
    manbearpig wrote:
    I started off with four cars. Audi A4, Lexus IS300, and then the cars I mentioned. I test drove all of them, and just didn't like the lexus that much. The audi was close, but it didn't make the cut because i prefer the look of the benz and the drive of the bmw. They are all in the 45-50K range after taxes and everything so the price isn't much of an issue. Do you have any other suggestions? I'm open to trying out other cars.

    I strongly encourage you to look at Audi S4s. They are slightly more than your quoted price range, but you could look for a lightly used one (hard to find because people love them).

    Also, if you're into cruising with the car, I would look at a fully-loaded Hyundai Genesis sedan. I'm sure I'm going to take some crap on this board for saying that, but it's actually a great car. Very nice looking, excellent options, etc.


    lol, dude I'm not getting a hyundai. I love the S4, but not as much as the m3 or c63. If I want to go in that price range, I'd rather go with one of the other options.

    Just humor me and watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY-J7topqJQ[/quote]

    Ok, I admit, it's a nice looking car. But 5 litre engine? What am I gonna do with that? lol. I don't even want to go over 3 litres.

    -MBP

  • In reply to njmonkey46
    manbearpig's picture

    njmonkey46 wrote:
    Just go big and get a lambo.

    lol, that'll be my second car =P

    -MBP

  • txjustin's picture

    My wife has a C350. Its a good car, but if I had to do it over again we'd get her the beamer.

  • In reply to manbearpig
    txjustin's picture

    manbearpig wrote:
    MrDouche wrote:
    I'd go with the Benz, but if you're barely scraping by in NY, do not purchase it. Save your money to start your own thing or get ready to take on some serious financial obligations like a family, house and kids.

    Wife drives an ML and I have an S. We do not subsist on an associate/VP salary.

    One thing to consider: Many, many people suspect that those who drive the C-class cannot easily afford a Benz or are just starting out professionally and trying to make an outsized name for themselves. I would recommend an E-class so that you don't get lumped into that category, even though you're looking at an AMG.

    I live in Toronto, which is considerably cheaper than NY as it is. Though I don't make close to investment banking money, I'm doing alright for myself. Have a monthly after tax cash flow of about 7K, and my mortgage is only 1500. Food is another 500, and on top of that I have about 60K in savings, so I'm considering just buying this car with straight cash (I'll be able to negotiate the price down at least 6-7% this way). I could go for the E, but I'll probably need to finance about 15-20K of it, which isn't the end of the world, but I don't want a big car because they're gas guzzlers. The E is gorgeous though - absolutely love it.

    You bring up some interesting points about the image a C class will project. I'm only 24, so I don't care if people think I can't afford a "better" benz (most of my friends from HS can't even afford their own rent payments). I don't, however, want to give off the impression that I just want a benz and I'll buy the cheapest one I can find. I would imagine people with this attitude would buy a used benz, which I'm not willing to do...

    Not sure how it is in Canada, but here in the U.S. a lot of times you'll get a better deal if you finance it versus paying cash. Reason is they get incentives from finance companies/banks. When negotiating don't let them know how you intend to pay for it.

  • captainradio's picture

    Get the C300. I know it doesn't drive as well, but I despise most BMW drivers.

  • txjustin's picture

    We actually were gonna get the bmw, but the salesman seemed uninterested in us because we were young. He emailed my wife a few days later and she told him since he was rude we went and bought a brand new mercedes.

  • philgorman's picture

    So, why are you even bothering to get a car? You may have a little extra cash, but you don't REALLY have it. The TTC isn't that bad and I doubt you'd be driving the car THAT much. Seems like a lot of money to just piss away because you can.

    I mean, if its the baller status you want to project, why not spend money on trips to different locations. Weekend trips to Monaco or somewhere else luxurious. I'm pretty sure the people you associate with and the new people you meet would think much more "highly" or "balla" of you if you could list off all these bomb ass places you've been instead of simply saying that you drive a benz/bmw.

    -philly g

  • manbearpig's picture

    I'd drive a lot over the weekend. The car isn't there to get me to work and back, I live 3 blocks from work and it takes me 5 minutes to walk each way. I have friends and family scattered all over the GTA and taking the GO to see them is a massive pain in the ass. What am I saving for if not to buy nice things? lol.

    -MBP

  • debitswiss's picture

    Get the BMW. Parents have an S and a 5 series, I learned to drive on an old Benz(E class) and just got a new 3 series.

    In general I'd choose a Mercedes over a BMW but at the C vs 3 series level the BMW is better, IMO. Also, your going to buy this car with your savings? I think leasing might be a better idea, no?

  • In reply to philgorman
    LIBOR's picture

    philgorman wrote:
    So, why are you even bothering to get a car? You may have a little extra cash, but you don't REALLY have it. The TTC isn't that bad and I doubt you'd be driving the car THAT much. Seems like a lot of money to just piss away because you can.

    I mean, if its the baller status you want to project, why not spend money on trips to different locations. Weekend trips to Monaco or somewhere else luxurious. I'm pretty sure the people you associate with and the new people you meet would think much more "highly" or "balla" of you if you could list off all these bomb ass places you've been instead of simply saying that you drive a benz/bmw.

    Going to have to agree on this one. Im two years younger than you, so I don't think I'm in a position to be handing out advice. However, it seems like you are buying an expensive, entry-level luxury car for no apparent reason other than to impress people or drive fast.

    The fact of the matter is, 50 grand won't buy a "baller" car, but instead will get you a low-end luxury vehicle which will actually generate negative judgments from others (as seen in this thread) about your social status. No one really cares about the car you drive, so why throw away 50k at 24 when you can use that money in much better ways.

    I've got to agree with philly g. If you want to blow your money, take a trip to a sick location. Or better yet, invest it in yourself. Sure, you can invest in the market or something. But if you are seeking the drill of driving for two hours on the weekend, why don't you just pay $200 a week for flying lessons. Flying planes is cooler than driving, people will think its impressive (since its original), and you won't be wasting fifty grand on a depreciating asset.

    If you had to pick between the two cars, go with the c class, because it will speak the truth about your status.

  • In reply to philgorman
    Kanon's picture

    philgorman wrote:
    So, why are you even bothering to get a car? You may have a little extra cash, but you don't REALLY have it. The TTC isn't that bad and I doubt you'd be driving the car THAT much. Seems like a lot of money to just piss away because you can.

    I mean, if its the baller status you want to project, why not spend money on trips to different locations. Weekend trips to Monaco or somewhere else luxurious. I'm pretty sure the people you associate with and the new people you meet would think much more "highly" or "balla" of you if you could list off all these bomb ass places you've been instead of simply saying that you drive a benz/bmw.

    The TTC's pretty awful actually (subway system blows, streetcars are slow...) but I do agree with you. If you're in downtown Toronto MBP, do you really want to drive around? Seems like a lot of dough for little reason. Unless you really plan on doing a lot of weekend driving outside of the city...

    I don't think you were being too serious with your 'baller status' concern. But nice watches, good wine, fine cigars, clothes... these things can serve that purpose. A $50K car really isn't all that baller. It's funny cause I've known MDs, partners, etc. with pretty average cars, but you can definitely tell they have cash from their personal upkeep.

  • philgorman's picture

    The GO system is a pain in the ass. I guess I'm looking at it from a different perspective. I'm a minimalist and have a penchant for gambling. I would say save for a house, but you mentioned a mortgage so you may have/sorta have that covered. If you aren't much of a traveler then go for it.

    To answer your question, the BMW looks better. For me, BMWs always seem better although I sayw a chick turn onto Bloor yesterday driving a dark grey Mercedes. Don't know what type, but it just growled when it pulled away. The car sounded mean. A rush of blood to the head, so to speak.

    -philly g

  • In reply to philgorman
    Kanon's picture

    philgorman wrote:
    The GO system is a pain in the ass. I guess I'm looking at it from a different perspective. I'm a minimalist and have a penchant for gambling. I would say save for a house, but you mentioned a mortgage so you may have/sorta have that covered. If you aren't much of a traveler then go for it.

    The GO has delays from time to time, but at least the seats are clean and you won't likely run into a crazy guy smelling of urine like you would with TTC.

  • MrJetSet's picture

    I would go with the Benz but if you feel more comfortable driving the BMW, buy it.

  • In reply to debitswiss
    manbearpig's picture

    debitswiss wrote:
    Get the BMW. Parents have an S and a 5 series, I learned to drive on an old Benz(E class) and just got a new 3 series.

    In general I'd choose a Mercedes over a BMW but at the C vs 3 series level the BMW is better, IMO. Also, your going to buy this car with your savings? I think leasing might be a better idea, no?


    Benz usually has 6.9% financing which is retarded, but right now they have their 125th anniversary promotion of 1.25% financing. This is making it very tempting to go with the benz. That's a really cheap rate tbh.

    -MBP

  • manbearpig's picture

    I just bought a new condo that I moved into 2 months ago. I have a parking spot that's just sitting empty. lol. I really really want a car.

    -MBP

  • BankMonkey21's picture

    C vs 3 series. The 3 wins everytime. I love mybeemer however if i were in your situation and want a fast weekend car that portrays young, fun, and in the beginnings of successful career vs "baller" i would go with the porsche cayman s.

    I Got a dollar and a dream...

  • JRODG's picture

    3 series for sure, if between those two. What about an audi a4? you really can beat the handling of their quattro 4 wheel drive. The 328i is a bit underpowered and their changing the body next year, and the C is such a diluted mercedes, I don't believe its worth it not to mention that its pretty slow. I believe with Audi you can really get the most for your money.

  • FinanceBrah's picture

    I would get a BMW 135i, reflash the ecu, lower it, get a new intercooler and have a great car. I'd just like to say Audis Quattro is not magic, so much for poor steering feel and understeer.... Speaking of which the xi is a little sanitized compared to a regular 3 series. Do you need AWD? The C300 with an AMG package is still not a true AMG special. Why spend the money for that when you can get much more car? Then again a true "baller" would get a turbo miata.

  • shera's picture

    Wait you said: "I have about 60K in savings, so I'm considering just buying this car with straight cash" You only have 60k in savings and the car costs ~50k. So you're willing to deplete your savings almost entirely for a high powered car which you plan on using to cruise around at low speeds?

  • In reply to shera
    manbearpig's picture

    shera wrote:
    Wait you said: "I have about 60K in savings, so I'm considering just buying this car with straight cash" You only have 60k in savings and the car costs ~50k. So you're willing to deplete your savings almost entirely for a high powered car which you plan on using to cruise around at low speeds?

    This 60K is not including the 150K of equity I have in my condo, or the 80K in my trading account. I'm also saving at least 3K a month.

    -MBP

  • Stanman2020's picture

    From a car enthusiats point of view, you're either a bimmer kinda of guy or you're a benz guy. There's no middle here, unless you like audi, which is a compromise between both cars. BMW's tend to be associated with the younger crowd since the "ultimate driving machine" feels better to drive and has the panache that the younger crowd looks for. Mercedes tend to be associated with comfort, prestige, and luxury (more so than a BMW 3). As a side note. you're not going to find a $200k BMW, but you'll find a slew of those especially in the AMG series (i.e. S65, CLS55, SL55, etc). Now an AMG sounds a hella lot better than an M3 or 3 series. The roar is defeaning and beautiful, but the car's forte is a straight line. A BMW will twist and turn and run through hula hoop's better than most MB's. BMW's iDrive system is not a good as COMAND in my opinion.

    Now then for your question... as to which car you should buy. Well, it seems you're superficial and all about "image", which warrants me to say buy a MB. You said, "MB looks nice." You asked, "which one as more baller status." You're 24 and refuse to buy used. All of this points to one car --> MB.

    Enjoy your new Benz.

    Time to roll up the sleeves and make things happen.

  • D M's picture

    I'd agree with the above, but I feel the need to point out that if you do buy a beemer, you're driving a car that 95% of the population can't afford. If you buy a Benz, that probably puts you in the category of cars 97% of the population can't afford. If you're talking image, anyone who know cars sees the c-series Mercedes as being the "cheap" option., even if it's AMG. The 3 series BMW isn't looked at the same way, at least I don't see it that way.

    "You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer
    "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

  • Illinoisprogrammerisajoke's picture

    Hey Op, i'm not really understanding a few things in your posts.

    Each time someone tells you its not a good idea, you magically add and exxaggerate more wealth into the equation as if its not a big deal. If this is really the case, GET A BETTER CAR. If you have 60k in cash, why not just get a S5 or M3?

    Also, you claim to be a 24 year old 3rd year consultant and you don't even work at mckinsey (http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/lunch-with-m...) yet you've already claimed:

    60k savings
    150K of equity in your condo,
    and 80K in the trading account
    aftertax cash flow of 7k, so 10k a month pretax being generous or 120k max of salary a year
    So you have 290k of cash you've aggregated already which given a consertative tax rate would mean you cleared 414k of pretax salary already. Not to mention you've got expenses during all this time so you probably had to make 800k or close to a million to save all that.

    Your own math doesn't make sense if you're looking at 40-50k cars and you have 60k in savings but you say you have to take out 20k in financing.

    I would say just get a M3 or M5 if you really have the 60k cash and 80k in trading accounts.

  • accountingbyday's picture

    I'll start by admitting that I LOVE the 335, so I'm biased...I almost bought one two months ago. A few things I learned.

    BMW is coming out with a new 3 series next year. I'm not sure if you'd be happy with the "older" model in 9 months.

    Also, seriously look into a gently used car. Seriously, it is really the way to go with nice foreign cars. I bought a Volvo with 17k miles and then sold it 3 years later with 95k miles and only got $7k less than I paid.

    On a perception note, we have a LOT of 3-series at work and a few C200 and C300s. I think the bmws are really nice rides, but I think the people who get the lower level C's are trying to be pretentious, but can't get the nicer MBs. An AMG C300 is pretty sweet and definitely better than the C200, but my personal preference is definitely the BMW.

  • In reply to Illinoisprogrammerisajoke
    manbearpig's picture

    Illinoisprogrammerisajoke wrote:
    Hey Op, i'm not really understanding a few things in your posts.

    Each time someone tells you its not a good idea, you magically add and exxaggerate more wealth into the equation as if its not a big deal. If this is really the case, GET A BETTER CAR. If you have 60k in cash, why not just get a S5 or M3?

    Also, you claim to be a 24 year old 3rd year consultant and you don't even work at mckinsey (http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/lunch-with-m...) yet you've already claimed:

    60k savings
    150K of equity in your condo,
    and 80K in the trading account
    aftertax cash flow of 7k, so 10k a month pretax being generous or 120k max of salary a year
    So you have 290k of cash you've aggregated already which given a consertative tax rate would mean you cleared 414k of pretax salary already. Not to mention you've got expenses during all this time so you probably had to make 800k or close to a million to save all that.

    Your own math doesn't make sense if you're looking at 40-50k cars and you have 60k in savings but you say you have to take out 20k in financing.

    I would say just get a M3 or M5 if you really have the 60k cash and 80k in trading accounts.

    I bought the condo from my dad. The equity was a gift. I assumed the mortgage.

    I didn't deposit 80K into my trading account, I started off with a quarter of that and it's grown considerably. While you're stalking my post history, try looking up my post about finding a backer for my trading strategy.

    No I don't work at McKinsey, I work at Deloitte. And yes, I do make 120K a year. I'm a "3rd year + associate" in the sense that that's my level at Deloitte. I haven't worked for 3+ years. I lateralled in at that level when I moved here from my old firm.

    I initially only mentioned the 60K because the other "wealth" isn't relevant to the original question, since I'm not willing to pull out equity from my condo, or withdraw from my trading account. The only reason I mentioned it later was because people seemed to have the idea that all I have is 60K, and I'm blowing all of it on a car, rather than saving for a down payment or saving for a family - which is not the case.

    I think spending 50K on a car is a pretty big expense, and yes, if I liquidated all of my "wealth", I could buy a ferrari, but I'm not planning on doing that. I think 50K is a reasonable budget for me. The 20K financing I was talking about was if I bought an E class mercedes, since it's 70Kish. I don't want my savings account to be completely empty. 10K is a reasonable buffer since it grows by over 3K a month.

    -MBP

Pages