Advice on SA2024 offers? (3 options described)

Hello everybody,

I am a Junior at a target looking to work on the buyside. I find it extremely interesting to research companies, look through Ks and Qs, watch price action on screeners, and discuss how new technologies can drive revenue for firms and shift the players in different markets. I also really really enjoy writing about all of this--I'm in an investment club at school and enjoy making pitches because I get to build a thesis using all of this info tied together with business sense. Last summer I had an internship at a small family office and loved it because I got to work on research memos and track/report on the firm's investments. With all that said, I am also extremely extroverted and love working with people collaboratively.

I unfortunately was a bit behind with recruiting so I missed all of the BB timelines but have really been grinding for SA2024 since getting back to school. I have 3 offers at the moment:

• VC Summer Analyst in SF/NY, for fund with 500MM investment vehicle, huge capital base, liked the people and the office is extremely nice. Pays well and I will be able to stay in this city for free. I also am interested in the verticals I would be working in.
  • AM Summer Analyst at a ~3B AUM (different) single family office in tier 2 city, REALLY liked the people. The head of investment is someone I can see myself learning a ton from--the pay isn't great though. 
  • IB Summer Analyst at MM investment bank in SF/NY, more lukewarm on the people and banking in general though its what everyone wants to do so I can't help but consider this one. Pay is street level (good). 

So what do you guys think is the best fit for me, and what do you think will have the biggest impact on my FT recruiting? I think I have a good chance at return offers at all three firms, but I'm planning on grinding hard for FT as well. I think I lean slightly towards VC, but does that lock me into VC in the future or will a summer role not stop me from recruiting for FT AM roles? 

Thanks in advance! 

Hey there!

First off, congratulations on your offers! It's a tough market out there and you've done well to secure these opportunities. Now, let's break down your options:

1. VC Summer Analyst: This sounds like a great opportunity, especially if you're interested in the verticals you'd be working in. The fact that you liked the people and the office is a big plus. Remember, culture fit is crucial. The pay is good and you have free accommodation, which is a bonus.

2. AM Summer Analyst: It sounds like you really connected with the people here and see a mentor in the head of investment. That's invaluable. The pay might not be as high, but if you're learning a lot and enjoying the work, it could be worth it.

3. IB Summer Analyst: This is the more traditional route for someone looking to break into high finance. The pay is good, but you seem lukewarm about the people and the work.

Based on your interests and the information you've provided, it seems like the VC Summer Analyst role might be the best fit for you. You enjoy researching companies, discussing new technologies, and writing about it - all of which are key in VC.

As for your concern about being locked into VC, a summer role won't necessarily pigeonhole you into a specific path. It's common for people to switch between AM and VC, especially early in their careers.

However, it's important to consider what you want to do long-term. If you're sure about wanting to work on the buyside, the VC role could give you relevant experience and potentially open doors for you in the future.

Remember, this is just my take based on the most helpful WSO content. Ultimately, the decision is yours. Consider where you think you'll learn the most, where you'll enjoy the work, and where you see the best long-term potential. Good luck!

Sources: 2024 SA TIPS!!, SA 2024 Positions Canada, SA 2024 Recruitment Process Reflection, 2024 SA as a Sophomore, Urgent: Advice Needed on SA 2020 FSG BB Offer vs. Top-Tier Tech Recruiting

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”