major facts... knew someone that was at least 10x smarter than me, but his entire personality revolved around finance. ended up getting the offer over him b/c i really honed in on my story/behaviorals and crafted an incredible "Why ___, Why Firm, etc.". I'm certain that while he very obviously demonstrated stronger technical knowledge, I demonstrated (i.e., didn't just say I had...) a strong curiosity to learn and be mentored (all professionals know that you learn 99.999+% on the job)

Also, I'd speculate that this only holds true at some firms. Additionally, being able to answer the open-ended technicals (e.g., current market views or case studies) is likely more important as there is no right answer and is likely more impressive than someone having a great, pre-rehearsed STAR story about a time they worked in a time - esp. for top boutiques.

100%. The best relationships I developed were from the ones that I built in October/November and was able to show progression and interest as I followed up later on. Those were the ones who had any substantive role in pushing me throughout the firms I recruited at.

At superday when they are checking for fit, you WILL absolutely feel it as well. Based on experience, If there is a fit, you will feel like you are being genuine and your interviewing guard is lowered. It might feel weird bc you are used to being a little uptight at networking events / you were stressed in other interviews. Don't know how to fully describe it, but 'fit' is a very unique feeling, at least from my experience.

Definitely agree. When I recruited for MFs this cycle it was very clear which ones I was a culture fit at and which I wasn't. As you said, in the ones which I was a fit for, the interview quickly became very conversational and felt like talking with a friend or co-worker. 

I'll also mention that I think it's important for everyone to remember that much of recruiting is out of your control. If you have a strong resume and know technical, you will get an offer from somewhere. But no matter how strong your application is, you still may not be a culture fit at your dream firm and will end up getting rejected because of that. In my own recruiting experience, I was rejected from multiple IBs and HFs even though I ended up with multiple MF offers. 

All this to say, don't put all your hope into one (or even a few) firms because recruiting is incredibly subjective and even the strongest candidates won't get in everywhere. 

There’s a few things I would do.

1) Make an Excel sheet of every single bank that has an office in a city where you could work in a summer. EB’s, BB’s, MM’s, etc …

2) If you are fortunate enough to have family and friends who work at banks, plug them, their position, and their contact info into the excel sheet under the appropriate bank. STAR their contact info. They will likely be your best connects.

3) Ask your your school’s finance based career team if they have the contact information of alumni who work in IB. Take those contacts, and organize from Analysts, Associates, VP, MD. Plug into Excel.

4) Go to your school’s LinkedIn page. Go to the alumni section. Search up each bank. Insert every alumni who you don’t have already in your excel sheet into the sheet. Hyperlink their LinkedIn page.

5) Create 2 generic templates. One to use on people whose emails you already have, and one to use to when you cold connect and send a note on LinkedIn. You only have 300 characters to use on LinkedIn so keep that in mind.

6) Start sending emails to analysts and setting up phone calls. Make sure your emails aren’t the same for everyone. Make it personalized for each person you reach out to, but stick to the generalized format.

7) At the end of your call ask the person if they have any recommendations on who to talk to. When you email the person they recommended, mention that you talked to ______ and they recommended that they speak to you.

8) Send thank you email notes after every call. Tell them you will keep in touch.

9) Keep track of who you have talked to and who you still need to reach out to. Track everything in excel.

10) The last and final step. Be persistent and consistent. Don’t be annoying, but don’t hesitate to reach out to people.

I know this sounds like a lot. But it is all necessary. And as someone who is struggling right now to find a SA 24 spot because of my lack of networking and late start on the whole process, these are the exact steps I would follow if I could have done it all over again.

another one, many people are not prepped well enough with technicals from what I noticed. Grind those out like you're studying for an exam. The BIWS guides and advanced guides are just the baseline and those should be down cold. If you mock with upper years, chances are they have some more bank-specific resources. So you want to get those as well. Prepping behaviourals can be left until 2/3 weeks before your interviews start.

I recruited for the SA23 cycle as a non-target int'l. My biggest takeaway is understanding what you really want and how banking is going to help you achieve your goals(exit op is only a part of it) . Many ppl join the game bc they see other ppl are doing the same thing. The best way to prepare and land Interviews is doing relevant internships, including the bucket shops or biz brokers.

Sure some of your questions might be more in-depth, for example, deals you work on, road blocks for the deal moving forward, and specific vertical. Your work experience and personal opinions serve great to those interview questions and the title def gives you a leg up in rez screening too. The on-campus clubs are all cookie cutter answers that interviewers have heard a thousand times a day and rlly aren't that impressive nor important.

Forgot something. Have specific personal interest. Don't just say travel or movies. Where and what movies? I have a interview where I literally talk about interests with a SMD and he said your know what, just tell people our interview is about investment banking

Have the balls to reach out to VPs/MDs… if they like you enough they will literally guarantee you interviews/super days (also these conversations are normally chill af so why not reach out?). Talking to analysts and associates is definitely important as those will be who you’re putting in the hours with once on the job, but having their boss recommend you definitely doesn’t hurt.

This process is random. Just take things one day at a time, do what you're supposed to do, and things will (probably) work out. There were plenty of places where I thought I was connecting well but got dinged before first rounds. There were places where I barely spoke with anyone and got offers. I had interviews I thought I killed but got cut. I had interviews I was (and still am) sure I bombed, but they ended up being successful. Be patient and just keep going.

Also, have realistic expectations. Ambition is great, but you're just setting yourself up for a few months of sadness if you go in expecting your top pick.

Always be ready for an interview. A networking call may become a phone screen. You may get 6 hours notice with an actual interview (yes this happened).

Don't lose hope. I was rejected pre-interview stage from every low-tier MM "safety" bank I applied to.

Get the simple shit right. Quadruple check every email you sent out. Don't act like a bot.

Controversial

I wish I spent less time on technicals and networking and more time enjoying my college experience, my classmates were learning details about LBOs and DCFs because they assumed EB interviews would be technical-focused, they also sent hundreds of networking emails and spent hours on the phone, none of this is necessary though if you can demonstrate fit and have a good story, I got first rounds at multiple EBs and accepted to diversity programs with only a few networking calls total (some firms with no calls at all), I also got several offers at these firms and never received too many technicals beyond some advanced accounting questions from the guide (one of the harder ones asked about depreciation going up and how it goes through the statements or something which I didn't get perfectly but the important part is showing your interviewer you can handle pressure and share your thinking process)

Overall, we are all high achievers and stress about perfecting every detail, but the most important thing is fit and being enthusiastic about the job, the classmates I was talking about knew all the advanced technicals like the details of WACC but likely came off as socially awkward or robotic (from prepping too much) and did not receive offers from those same firms, so I wish I understood this going in and prioritized enjoying college

Two tips I'd mention that people don't typically touch on:

1) Make sure you know at least the basics of the technicals by sophomore fall. Having a basic knowledge of technicals (basic accounting, valuation methods, high-level DCF) will give you a leg up against other candidates when you recruit for sophomore summer internships, which in turn help with your junior summer recruiting. 

2) Start networking early, but not too early. Start networking ideally by late summer/sophomore fall because a) you're not going to have the time to do so in the spring and b) when banks come to campus for OCR, you'd see people you've already talked to, which helps them connect names to faces. Speaking of networking, something I always did when cold emailing was to dig into the connections of seniors/juniors who have finished recruiting, because their connections are likely to be alumni who are more open to chatting with candidates.

I owe much to the WSO community, so feel free to PM me with any questions.

Be willing to bet on yourself. Go all in and don’t give up. This process is tough and unforgiving so don’t forget that

Mega non-target non-diversity intl student here. I was pretty late to the process and was shooting out 100+ emails per week for connection call, stupid thing. Start early, and DO NOT pigeonhole yourself into one single industry like ib. Take anything you can for sophomore summer, even a shitty search fund internship can turn into a story of passion. Another thing is to cast your nest damn wide, apply to every position there is, and network with everyone possible, but stay authentic and make the connection personal.

To the international non-diverse folks out there, keep fucking trying, it all gonna pay off. One yes is all it takes.

I'll chime in again since Intern in IB-M&A mentioned diversity recruiting. My take is slightly different: diversity kids, do not hold yourself to a lower standard just because you are diversity. 

I am diverse and had good gpa, resume, and go to a target. But I was quite frustrated midway through the process since I didn't receive any offers to diversity programs. Looking back, my frustration was unfounded because 1) the admission to diversity programs is highly erratic/random, and 2) frankly, I am sure there are people who needed these programs more than I did because I honestly did not grow up underprivileged. 

Well, my first thought was, "I'm fucked. Gotta compete in the non-diverse pool now." But I soon realized falling into the mindset of "it's easier for me because I'm a diverse candidate" was wrong in the first place, so I grinded on technicals and networking calls. To be honest, advanced technicals is not rocket science. As long as you put your mind to it, anyone with normal intelligence can get it. Got asked exactly the questions Intern in IB-M&A tells you not to prepare for – paper LBO, paper DCF, WACC / CAPM components, advanced accounting, Merger model, PIK/FIFO LIFO, etc. I eventually got a top BB and top EB offer through the normal process. (Now that I reread the post, Intern in IB-M&A feels like a troll lol) 

To sum things up:

Diversity kids, do not hold yourself at a lower standard because 1) practically, you might not get into the diversity pipeline, and 2) you do not want to be a mere pawn that helps your company's ESG rating; like everyone else, you're here to learn and contribute with your work, so grind like everyone else. 

And to others, just because someone looks diverse is not a reason for you to discredit their work and ability. Some of them have gone through the same admission process as you did, and others might have faced difficult circumstances in their lives you can barely imagine. 

As someone who is also diverse, I completely agree. Once you fall into that mindset of “I’m diverse so the process will be easier for me” you’re fucked. You wouldn’t believe how competitive it actually is. People forget that there are literally more “diverse” people (all women, non-white or asian, LGBT, and/or veteran) than “non-diverse” people competing for these roles…why would you think the standard is any lower? Just ask my friends who went through the same diversity program run by a prestigious PE firm (you all probably know the one). Only one of them received an offer and it was in a frankly sub-par group. It’s because they all went into the first rounds thinking it would be easy since they’re diverse and attend a target.

Biggest advice for interviews. Be yourself, be conversational, smile, throw an extra shot of espresso in your coffee that morning.

An interview is just talking about yourself for 30 minutes, who doesn’t like talking about themself??

Show your thinking if you don’t know a technical and don’t get flustered.

Fortunate to have secured an offer at an EB for SA 24. However, (and I fully understand how bad this sounds) I wish I had started grinding harder for PE/GE roles because that’s truly where my heart lies, especially within the sector I want to specialize in. I am at a top target and received a superday at a few places, but on the technical side I just fell short. Definitely felt jealous seeing my classmates secure the offer instead. I feel like I disappointed myself more than anything because I know I would have had a better shot if I had put in more hours studying over going to shitty parties last semester. Whatever, this experience has made me more motivated to prep hard and network for full time. 

Recruited last year but helped / mentored a few friends at my non-target uni during this season. One that stood out to me got a really nice seat at a hard EB group to get into. The group only takes 1-3 people a year, everyone else at his SD was H/S/W and other ivies. He was the only non-target. He told me that he just shot the application over as a crapshoot, ‘you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take’ mentality. Because it was such a competitive process he didn’t even network since he thought he didn’t have a chance. So he spent that time with other banks.

‘Lo and behold, out of nowhere, he got an interview. Eventually the superday. He told me about all the other candidates that he met at a firm dinner the night before and laughed at how they were all absolute BOTS. Goes into the superday, fucks up some technicals, but makes all of his interviewers laugh. Guess what? He was one of the 1 - 3 candidates who got the offer.

If you are a genuine person and can show that to your interviewers, they won’t give a fuck if you know what PIK interest is or if you hit them up in October to network. The applicant pool for these positions are 80% of the finance-robot-hardo types we all joke about, but I’m sure that half of you reading this ARE THAT PERSON. Nobody wants to work with those people, so let go of your ego and make yourself interesting.

Totally agree. Would also add that if you are recruiting for MFs and EBs, it is almost impossible to get every technical right. I prepped fairly extensively and had technical experience from my freshman internship, and I still messed up at least one question on every super day I had. In my opinion, top firms view technical interviews more as stress tests than tests of ability. Obviously, if you don't know WACC you won't get any offers. But if you know the DCF, LBO, and M&A technicals like the back of your hand, you will keep getting asked harder questions until you get one you just can't answer. 

In the end, every offer I received was from a firm where I messed up on at least one question during the interview. So, I think the most important thing in recruiting is to prioritize bonding with your interviewers and staying calm during interviews. Everyone will mess up at least one technical, so what separates you is how well you can handle that and whether your interviewers leave with a strong positive impression of you. 

huge pov that helped me was thinking of the 1st round akin to a exam (as in ace all techs, give out fairly scripted answers) so you get the greenlight for SD. With SD obivo gauge the room but it helped me to just be likeable and go off the rails with your scripted answers a little more and make it more conversation like. However, regardless prep very hard for your techs, think of it as free real estate (in your control no excuses here to get anything wrong) wheras likeability is less so in your control and hence tech prep is just very high yielding.

Ok buckle in, because this gonna be long. For context, just signed with an EB where my school isn't a target. I also had mono over winter break which put a halt in a lot of my studying/networking efforts. If you are non-diverse, you can be from a target with a great resume and things still will be an uphill battle. Being from a target is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing, because people will take your calls and take your candidacy serious. A curse, because target school recruiting is NOT meritocratic. First, BB/EB fill the majority of target seats with diversity, full-stop. Privileged, prep school kids that get blackout drunk in easy majors and decide to recruit IB because it's trendy ended up getting top offers while non-diversity hadn't even kicked off. You don't even get an at-bat to compete with these kids, they simply are on a whole different timeline. Frustrating, but nothing you can do. That's why it's laughable when people on campus say we are a target for X place. Sure, if you are diverse or are in X social org.

Being from a target is also tough because everyone at school says to focus on the network. Yes, do that, but the pitfall is...what happens when that does not work? For me, I had no luck with my school alum or my school was not a target for EVR//PWP/MOE. Instead of buckling in and sending 15+ emails at each place late fall/winter, I got ghosted by the 5 or 6 people I tried and sulked. This is where the Kelley/UT Austin kids that are taught to grind had me beat. At my school, there's a culture of play hard and the offers come because we go to XXXX top 10 school. I mistakenly bought into this culture even though I'm a white male with no NYC connections. Mistake!

I want to emphasize that networking is a NOT a numbers game. It's quality, not quantity. For example, I had 7 connections each at two BBs and got passed over for the interviews for kids with fraternity connections (yes, quid pro quo type stuff goes on with OCR). However, for my Superday at an UMM/MF PE firm, I had 3 quality connections who made sure I was prioritized over the hundreds of applicants for ~3-5 seats. For where I signed, I was lucky that I had the grit at 1am to schedule send 7 emails to this firm where we had no alumni. I got lucky that one of those people was very involved in recruiting, got me looped in, and I was off to the races.

As non-diverse, idc if you go to Wharton, you can't be picky. I went into the process prioritizing BBs because I wanted the brand and camaraderie that comes with a larger analyst class. I thought I was hot shit and could get the GS/MS/JPM/BofA/Barc offer I wanted if I networked. Not so, and they run a later timeline where you really feel the pressure (if I don't convert then I'm SOL). You truly need to go for every single bank worth working at. Tons of nontargets/semi-targets are breaking into Moelis/Evercore/Perella type, just browse LinkedIn. Plus, if you get one of these offers, you can accelerate, which is the quickest way to see if a firm you like feel the same about you. If you want top tier exits long-term, do be wary of top MMs who try to sign talented kids early who do not have a clear line of sight with other interviews.

Overall, this post is really for target school non-diverse freshmen. Contrary to what you might hear, you aren't "set" with a M&A internship, high GPA, and top school. You truly need to spend sophomore fall building relationships at the EVR/MOE/LAZ/PWP type places that are more meritocratic than the BBs who are really random and political in who they pick. Highly suggest reaching out to any upperclassman on campus going to a place you want to be, they will be able to tell you how to most efficiently prepare/network- this is something I regret not doing more of. Also, if you want MFPE, at my school, that went entirely to girls who signed BB sophomore summer and a couple of dudes whose dad is a key client. Hope this helps someone. 

Tempora et et nemo fugit. Omnis quisquam fuga non qui sit. Soluta animi totam enim nesciunt similique. Velit nobis cum assumenda.

Est qui saepe autem fuga aut ad excepturi. Eaque est voluptate ut eaque eos ducimus. Doloremque doloremque sint consectetur ratione dolore culpa magni. Voluptatum pariatur ut quos nam dignissimos soluta.

Aut quaerat eum est omnis ut eum. Error nostrum itaque consequatur mollitia magnam.

Quibusdam qui quia eaque ut doloribus omnis ut. Qui aut sit dolor dolorem esse et impedit aut. Accusantium sit nobis fugit dicta qui et. Quam consequatur ut harum ex enim esse omnis. Odio reiciendis rerum odio tempore est. Voluptate sit doloremque ab veritatis. Quo deserunt labore molestias cupiditate consequatur sit nisi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”