How to avoid signing non-competes and tips on managing through timing of multiple offers

I am interviewing at three places (A, B, and C). Firm A (least attractive for me) made me an offer with a non-compete clause. The problem is that I'm in the final rounds with B and C, from which I expect to get offers by early-mid February only at best. If I don't get them, I will stick to A.

What excuse should I give A regarding avoiding the non-compete, or is there a way to fool them around while I wait for the others?  Any advice on the situation? 

It's a mid-level LO role and a 6-mo non-compete

12 Comments
 

Bad idea, would be a huge blow to your reputation especially considering it’s a small world.

 
Most Helpful

Investment Analyst in HF - EquityHedge

I am interviewing at three places (A, B, and C). Firm A (least attractive for me) made me an offer with a non-compete clause. The problem is that I'm in the final rounds with B and C, from which I expect to get offers by early-mid February only at best. If I don't get them, I will stick to A.

What excuse should I give A regarding avoiding the non-compete, or is there a way to fool them around while I wait for the others?  Any advice on the situation? 

It's a mid-level LO role and a 6-mo non-compete

I'm confused, it sounds like a standard case of just wanting to delay committing to an offer from company A until you hear back from another company? But you mention the non-compete multiple times including the title, what's that got to do with this? I fail to see how the non-compete changes anything here? I don't understand why you're asking "what excuse should I give A regarding avoiding the non-compete" rather than "what excuse should I give on avoiding accepting the offer".
    Are you asking if you can negotiate away non-signing the non-compete? If so, no. They can't negotiate that. If they let you not sign it, it voids the agreement for all other employees. (See my recent post on https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/comment/3002394#comment-3002394)

But if your question is just how you can delay accepting your offer from company A until you hear back from B and C... Easy, if you're already in final rounds with companies B and C, then it seems you could simply be honest and tell them "i love your company best, it's my dream job, but I have another offer and I was hoping we could expedite the process". Good chance they'll be able to schedule you sooner. And meanwhile, tell company A that there's one personal matter you need to resolve and please would they be willing to wait two weeks. (If you want, you could make up a story like "my wife's company might be transferring her to California so I'm waiting to see if that happens before I sign your offer" or something, but really, you don't need to explain it. You can just say you need two weeks to resolve a personal issue and most of the time they'll be ok with that).

 

Commodi cum voluptatibus praesentium quia quos. Sint aliquam qui sed. Cupiditate est corporis distinctio vero sint. Totam atque sed eveniet.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Hedge Fund

  • Point72 99.0%
  • D.E. Shaw 98.0%
  • AQR Capital Management 97.0%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.0%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.0%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Hedge Fund

  • Magnetar Capital 99.0%
  • D.E. Shaw 98.0%
  • Blackstone Group 97.0%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.0%
  • Two Sigma Investments 94.9%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Hedge Fund

  • AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 98.0%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.1%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.1%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.1%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Hedge Fund

  • Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (27) $464
  • Director/MD (12) $355
  • NA (9) $320
  • Engineer/Quant (83) $287
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (26) $284
  • Manager (4) $282
  • 2nd Year Associate (32) $253
  • 1st Year Associate (76) $193
  • Analysts (235) $177
  • Intern/Summer Associate (29) $145
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (276) $95
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
3
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
6
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
7
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
8
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
9
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
10
Mimbs's picture
Mimbs
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”