I have a verified track record of %220 since 2017. How do i get a job?

The Sharpe ratio of my returns is 5:1 and has a market cap of $1billion in maximum asset allocation. I'm not familiar with the lingo here. I merely just spent 11 years studying everything about George Soros and Warren Buffets investment styles. How do i use this to become a pm? 

This question comes up every few months, and I always try to be kind, cause even if the questioner is clueless, well, we were all clueless once. But here, I find it hard to believe that someone A) knows what a sharpe ratio is, but B) doesn't know how improbable 10:1 sharpe on a billion dollars is. Pretty sure you're trolling us, so sure, I'll troll back. :-) 

You said you spent 11 years studying George Soros and Warren Buffet, and now you want to know how to get a job? Well, seems like the obvious path -- just send George or Warren an email  ([email protected] or [email protected]) mentioning your 10:1 sharpe and 220% returns. They're always looking for new talent, and your results sound very impressive, so I'm sure they'd be in touch to schedule an interview pretty quickly.

If you don't hear back from them within a week or so, then maybe broaden your search to the second tier shops (for instance, try emailing your details to [email protected] or maybe [email protected]) and work there for a year or two to build up some experience, and then try again with Soros and Buffet. Good luck! And after you get the job, don't forget to pay it forward to the next person on WSO who is looking for a break...

Are these emails legit? Idk man… I kind’ve deserve it. I’m willing to die for this. Nothing else. But the reason I need a job is while that is the max allocation. My initial investment capital was peanuts. I also sold my biggest position to pay for surgery months before the calls went in the money. I fell in love with 1 stock at .51 cents and it went to $61 in 10 months.

Jonny Franco

I fell in love with 1 stock at .51 cents and it went to $61 in 10 months.

Sure, lots of professional traders will put a couple percent of their book into "lottery ticket" bets each year, and occasionally you get lucky with a big windfall. It feels great when it happens, and you're entitled to brag a little bit. But don't fall into the trap of telling yourself that bet was skill or that you could do it again consistently.  A 100x return in ten months is just wild luck. 

Always remind yourself -- Wall Street has hundreds of thousands of people who are just as smart as you, and their firms have far more resources than you do (entire teams of PhD quants, personal connections with important people that border on insider knowledge, market color knowledge about trades you don't know about, they spend tens of millions of dollars annually on data and computing resources, etc etc). Always ask yourself, do you really believe you are such a genius that you single-handedly figured out a winning strategy that the rest of wall street missed? If so, then good for you. :-) But be willing to consider the alternative. 

Audited returns mean an auditing firm like Ernst & Young or KPMG. But that's for already established hedge funds, nobody expects you as an individual who's trying to get a job to hire an auditing firm.

You could bring a broker's statement to the interview with you. But honestly, even if your trading strategy really is successful, nobody will believe it if you don't have experience working at another hedge fund already.  You can certainly mention it in your interview, though, and the interviewer won't believe you have a real strategy, but you might convince him that you're smart enough to be able to come up with one if they hire you and give you access to their training and resources. 

OK, I suspect you're trolling, but just on the off chance you're not...how did you compute that 10:1 sharpe ratio if (in your own words) you "don't know the lingo"? Did you get that number from a broker statement or something? Or did you write your own program to calculate sharpe? Assuming you wrote your own, where did you get the estimates of risk to use in the formula? 

Optio et consequatur doloribus qui sit. Soluta odit ut quo dolor qui repudiandae. Molestias in ipsam quod molestiae veniam.

Dolor facere eum aut commodi ut exercitationem alias dolorem. Reprehenderit laboriosam officiis est commodi et laboriosam aspernatur. Ea ut saepe ut voluptatibus tempora ut. Ut pariatur hic ea amet quam debitis atque. Odio ut eum qui minus expedita autem. Ut soluta ab eos et est ut velit.

Odit explicabo maxime aperiam sit aut. Vitae est possimus necessitatibus temporibus. Iure explicabo suscipit rerum esse rerum molestiae. Et qui laborum ipsam sint harum corporis.

Dolorum et iste aut laboriosam sed perspiciatis. Porro ratione illo aliquid necessitatibus velit vel. Ut voluptas dolores voluptatem laudantium distinctio ratione optio. Ipsum ab magni exercitationem id ipsam saepe maxime. Omnis dicta rerum velit. Fugiat laborum et eveniet maxime veritatis omnis sapiente.

Aut quo sint explicabo magni. Natus quis rerum tenetur natus. Voluptatibus repellat tempora quasi. Ea autem voluptate quas doloremque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”