What to do after buy-side? 2023 edition

This thread is likely relevant to many people. You do your banking stint, you go to the buyside doing publics for 4-7 years. Thought you could keep going without an MBA, without any other low roi type of stuff in order to keep investing which is what one wanted to do. Made good money but not enough, realize it’s getting harder to compete. Want to explore other opportunities but have no idea what the path looks like. Curious how others are thinking about options coming out of this environment especially given macro. Want to take less risk, want a bit more stability, less money is fine but want to be intellectually stimulated but recent job fried you a bit. Any thoughts?

Most Helpful

RIA / wealth management seems like a pretty decent exit option. You will have more credibility than the average advisor for knowing much more about markets/securities, and  should have a decent network to cater to (and understand the financial needs of). I can't imagine doing anything non markets related though - I would have no drive. I think the most realistic exit ops are: LO, sell side research, fund of funds, research solutions for buyside/SS, RIAs, and then the long tail of small business owner stuff. 

2 things… 

1. Even if OP was strong at coding / quant and had the aptitude for a quant job, then OP might have the same issues. It’s still markets, eat what you kill, alpha getting harder to get, etc. 

2. Can you move into a chill job in tech making “500k+“? Doubt it… would think you’d lateral with a big step down given a totally different job function. Tech also reeling right now…

Someone above said strategy was an option. Is that something people actually have done or just speculation? I don’t understand what a corporate would want out of a junior/mid HF analyst, to be honest. What’s the transferable skill? Plus no corporate leadership experience.

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like the MBA is the only good option if one wants to leave the markets (no LO, sellside research, IR)

Ut sint et eos esse. Fuga voluptate quasi consequatur eius.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”