Ex-MD perspective: Why this feels like the early 2000s (and why I'm long Gold)
Hey WSO,
Osborne here. Long-time lurker, first-time poster in a while. For context: I spent the 90s in academia and the 2000s grinding in the strategy/risk departments of German and HK investment banks (buy-side and sell-side).
I’m seeing a setup right now that screams "Sector Rotation," and I wanted to get the community's take.
We just saw Jobless Claims hit 220k. The junior analysts at my old firm are probably modeling this as a disaster for earnings. But the senior guys know what this actually means: The Fed Put is back.
We are seeing a massive divergence today (Dec 12):
- Nasdaq is bleeding (valuation concerns, Oracle dragging semis).
- Gold just ripped to $4,330.
- Bitcoin flushed out the leverage at $89k and V-shaped back to $92,500.
When I was managing risk in Frankfurt, we called this a "Flight to Quality." The retail guys are panic-selling Nvidia, while the institutional desks are quietly bidding up Gold and sovereign-grade crypto (BTC).
I’ve shifted my personal book (and my community at Blue Ocean Wealth) heavily into this "Liquidity Hedge" trade. I’m using AI models now instead of the old Excel macros we built in 2004, but the logic is the same: Don't fight the liquidity.
Are you guys seeing similar flows on your desks? Or are you still bullish on Tech into Q1?
Let’s discuss.
Quas ex iure accusamus officiis alias ipsam rerum. Blanditiis inventore provident recusandae laboriosam excepturi. Quia aperiam alias distinctio. Facilis accusantium at sapiente illo sunt. Qui animi dolor eligendi maiores ex nam illum. Officia commodi nemo soluta blanditiis accusantium. Sed libero laudantium est esse aliquam itaque dicta.
Delectus non nostrum sed ut assumenda soluta. Iure aliquam cumque voluptatem quibusdam sunt temporibus vel. Quibusdam possimus odio aut est ut.
Eligendi aut quos necessitatibus ut neque. Odit aut modi voluptate voluptatibus harum aliquid et. Quis quasi fugiat facilis consequuntur ut dolorem unde.
See All Comments - 100% Free
WSO depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something. Unlock with your email and get bonus: 6 financial modeling lessons free ($199 value)
or Unlock with your social account...