Actually, this isn't a bad way to do it. Really just keep dollar cost averaging and re-investing the dividend, and you should be fine. If you contribute enough (run your own calculation on that and figure out what is "enough") it should work out; if something happens to the S&P and it never gets to its current levels again, then you'll probably have bigger problems then retiring. 

Also, seems like you're young, don't get caught up in trying to get rich quick, or invest in something that you don't  understand, or do something just because someone told you to do it. It's the market for a reason, if another individual stock or investment get better risk adjusted returns, everyone would be in that and basically the advantage would be gone. 

I would avoid junk bonds and particularly the lowest rated junk bonds like the plague right now. Credit conditions have tightened recently and there has not been a high yield bond issuance since early march. Hard for me to see how there aren't a lot of defaults in the near future especially in the lower rated bonds. Not sure how a lot of the lower rated issuers would even be able to refinance the bonds at maturity in the current conditions. For the last decade plus these junk issuers have been able to refi at lower and lower interest rates and that environment obviously no longer exists. take a look at ANGL fallen angel bond etf which is higher rated junk bonds with a still solid yield. I personally have my bond investments in IG corporate bonds (LQD) and short term t-bills. I also like agency MBS (VMBS) here trading at a steep discount so any prepayment activity is upside and essentially no credit risk so i think downside is limited given the fed is probably done hiking. I have become a big bond guy now that you can actually get some yield recently. 

Little diversification. Just pick something you think doesn’t have any significant default risk for bonds (not saying you have to go T-Bills but don’t go investing in Twitter debt).

As for physicals, wouldn’t expect much growth in this, but over 30-40 years it would be a good hedge against inflation/shit hitting the fan. Will always be able to get cash for gold at the end of the day.

If you are simply trying to just grow your wealth as much as possible for 40 years from now then yeah that approach probably makes the most sense. Not sure if you have been invested through last 5 years with some large draw downs so just be sure you can handle the losses without panic selling.  However you need to consider any near term savings goals. If you want to buy a house, engagement ring, get an MBA in the next 5 years or so then i would advise to take less risk with that money you may need in the nearer term. For near term goals i would park that cash in tbills, IG corporate bonds, or some other fixed income investment that is lower on the risk spectrum. 

No idea how smart it is, but I thought I'd let you know that is exactly what I am doing. Granted, I have less than 100k in savings, but I have thrown it all into SPY and continue to just buy shares whenever I have extra cash to send to my brokerage account.

Most Helpful

Veritatis voluptatem amet ex quasi voluptatem molestiae. Aperiam pariatur est aut.

Est ea eaque fugit. Laudantium rem et omnis ratione inventore non id. Enim aut ut est eius aut. Est sit rem quo est est. Et eum animi ab qui. Eum beatae sed tenetur ut labore eveniet at.

Voluptatum deserunt enim iste itaque qui voluptas. Expedita minima facilis nisi aut aut. Necessitatibus voluptate amet cumque. Dolorem dolores sit labore eos. Ipsam sit consectetur rem quia culpa tempora. Dolorum sunt exercitationem asperiores suscipit quod.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (204) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”