2022 Analyst Bonus Thread

This time of year is kicking off... Let's use the below format to comp peoples bonuses. May the odds forever be in your favor!

Bank: [BB/MM/Boutique]

Group: [Coverage / M&A / M&A]

Ranking: [Low/Mid/Top]

Bonus:$$$
Base Salary: $$$

Curious to know what team you're at, my team hasn't assigned bucket. We just got numbers.

Truist

Coverage

3rd year

Base:$110k

Bonus $110k

Not happy with comp. Especially peers at WF and similar tier banks have higher base.

It's not even $200k -- Barclays bumped up base like 4 months ago so really you're seeing AN2s getting like 170k-190k.  

Barclays A1Base of 110k (new)Bonus was ~40kI'm very disappointed. Not going to be giving much effort at work going forward if I'm being honest. This is corp dev comp.Understand the culture has been decent but it's still banking tf? This is literally a pay cut from last year with inflation considered.

Edit: had very good reviews

Did people seriously expect comp to match that of last year? Why would banks match them given market conditions. I also don’t expect Barclays to be the only one to disappoint. Goldman said it last year - don’t expect the current comp (last year’s comp) to be the status quo

All the inflation and the fact that we worked for half of last year? Not to mention my group was still busy and doing deals. We still made a shit ton of money. The point of base increases were to combat inflation over the last 10 years, but the total comp figure is less. So a double cut from last year. Like, it’s not even matching associate base salaries wtf?

Also, an extra 30k for 100 analysts is 3M and with tax savings 2.1M. That’s such a rounding error for a bank that made $7bn profit and to absolutely kill morale.

heard barclays bonuses were average/mid, but tbh hours been more chill lately so not too bad

Bonuses were bad, hours have been absolutely fucking awful lately. ECM/LF are chilling but there is still a ton going on in the coverage groups. Definitely not “chill” recently and these bonus #s are a slap in the face.

I always laugh thinking about this call where the head of banking said they want to “lead banking compensation and be #1.” Absolute joke.

average compared to fees produced, every here is expecting 2021 numbers lol that's completely out of touch with reality

Most Helpful

Is it me or does it seem like only associates + got a share of the pie during the crazy year last year where analyst got stuck with nothing and penalized because half of their year has been down, where the first half was insane. They are disregarding the crazy first half analyst had for their year, gave the associates + a nice share and punished analyst for the 2nd half downturn? Or am I not thinking of it correctly?

Yeah its definitely low end of the street but I'm pretty happy taking 167k for first year considering the WLB I got out of it (worked past 8 on Friday like 10 times, maybe worked 7 Saturdays which was limited to a few hours, not working every Sunday, and getting to take vacation/advantage of most long weekends).

All things considered, am happy and will likely stick around.

IB is such a fucking waste of time. Wtf is even the point. You can literally make more money working at Panda Fucking Express.

Panda Express

Heard from a buddy at at a European bb bank that he made 105k salary with 50-60k bonus. Works like 50-60 hours a week. Tbh I’d trade 40k for those hours

I think I did this right

jpm nyc coverage, analyst 1 bottom bucket: -$10,301.02 (had to return my signing bonus with interest)

Feel like JPM just didn’t give me credit for all the hard work I did this year. Constantly working weekends, up late and had multiple deals close. For them to give such a low bonus makes me feel like my seniors pocketed a sick bonus in December and then paid us scraps 

JPM NYC An 1 - Coverage (just got auto-promoted to An 2)

Salary: 110k 

Bonus: 30k

Mid bucket / "on track" in every category based on reviews, but now has me questioning?? Thought I was upper-mid based on my work/results. Grinded the whole year, was told by associates I was really stepping up, but guess just got brought down by the politics since I refused to kiss-a**. All in comp equal to FTP base... not happy at all and embarrassing, actually.

Probably over hired and cares too much about politics. Just very very frustrating to get such a low bonus. Multiple VPs and associates have directly told me along the lines of “Thanks for leading, you are the associate here!”

Sorry I didn’t suck up to everyone and grab coffee with seniors every week or try to be funny (it’s so cringe)? I never did anything disrespectful, just performed well at the job. I think I’ll be leaving very soon and want to get interns / those looking FT not to join.

JPM - NYC A1 (top group)

Total Comp = FTP base

Needless to say, I’m depressed and realize my dick isn’t as big as I thought it was going to be after bonus hits. Losing my potential tinder dates for sure.

To address the JPM VP above who claims to have participated in round tables and subsequently acts like this process is somehow just and doesn't involve politics and sucking up:

JPM has "buckets" but still ranks and pays bonuses by a number ranking (i.e. #1 ranked analyst, #2, etc.). Not sure what group you're in, but I'm in a top 3 coverage group and it's honestly EXTREMELY difficult (and toxic) to determine ranking at a level this granular. Sure, sometimes there is a clear top few analysts and a bottom few, but how do you differentiate between the #4 ranked analyst vs the #5 ranked analyst? At a certain point, I would say it is 90% politics. If one or two seniors who supports you doesn't happen to show up at roundtable since they're at a client meeting, you could go from top-ranking to mid-bucket, since I'm sure as hell the top kids from top groups all get positive reviews and almost no negative feedback. 

And one quick point about bonuses getting allocated to "reward the top bucket" - this is largely false. The top 3 ranked analysts (e.g. not buckets, but literally the top 3 ranked analysts) got paid above 70k, but after that, more or less everyone got paid below, so wouldn't put too much credibility to your words... 

Evercore

Analyst 2 - left for buyout shop
Ranking: Upper mid
Bonus: $130
Super pumped on the numbers - glad we got comped for the last year properly 

AN1 Evercore

Base: $120K

Bonus: $75k (mid-bucket; top was $85k)

really disappointed that we didn’t get a cut of 2021 results yet associates did ($185k +130% bonus for As1 paid out earlier this year); no longer stands out on the street as a top paying boutique as all-in comp is no equivalent to if not lower than other EBs

Credit Suisse

An1

Top bucket

Total Comp: $150k

Year: 2006

Value in Todays Dollars: $210k

Interesting looking at all these numbers and remembering my analyst days, just thought I would throw out an old datapoint for comparison.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”