401(k) Contributions for analysts

Analysts, what % of your pre-tax pay are you currently contributing to your 401(k)?

I want to maximize my employer match but I’m worried about over-contributing and tying up all my savings in a 401(k) when ideally I would want some medium-term liquidity with no penalty (e.g. I want to be able to withdraw savings in ~5 years to purchase RE, can’t do this from a 401k without significant penalty). 

I’m putting 40% now for this year so I can max that hoe out before this year ends. Market is too good need to take advantage of it. 

EDIT: Putting this from below for everyone asking questions. 

I'm paying $1960 total a month in rent NYC. Post-tax with the 401k deductions taken out are about $3400 a month (not sure on the exact number with 100k base). 2k rent and then I have a bit over 1400 left over for the month which definitely is not much at all. But I tend to only eat 1 real meal a day and a lot of time when I want to eat something I'll just have a bowl of oatmeal or ramen and some heated up frozen bread. Otherwise, I don't even have time to go out but this could change as I ramp up more and get better (hopefully?)

It's not an ideal way to live, but I rather sacrifice now and not have to work 10 years from now being retired because I find myself miserable working quite frankly. I guess you could say I'm one of those FIRE people. It's definitely doable 40% though with even with expensive rent with these new bases. 

did a similar thing, had money saved up from prior internships that I used instead if didn't have enough to cover. Figured it was a difference of getting tax-advantaged savings versus normal after-tax

Most Helpful

No I’m paying $1960 total a month in rent NYC. Post-tax with the 401k deductions taken out are about $3400 a month (not sure on the exact number with 100k base). 2k rent and then I have a bit over 1400 left over for the month which definitely is not much at all. But I tend to only eat 1 real meal a day and a lot of time when I want to eat something I’ll just have a bowl of oatmeal or ramen and some heated up frozen bread. Otherwise, I don’t even have time to go out but this could change as I ramp up more and get better (hopefully?)

It’s not an ideal way to live, but I rather sacrifice now and not have to work 10 years from now being retired because I find myself miserable working quite frankly. I guess you could say I’m one of those FIRE people. It’s definitely doable 40% though with even with expensive rent with these new bases. 

Similar vibes here - i put in 33% pre tax with rent at similar rate. only real expenses are eating out and shopping (which is rare) so I generally save paycheck money in addition to 401k money 

(OP) also curious, I’m at 15% and thought that was relatively high. 

also, what do you plan for your bonus? Very impressive if you can save 30% of base and most/all of bonus 

for more details about my situation, I just started as an A1 in a major city (NY/SF) paying $2,300 in rent. Not super conservative about spending but my nights out (Friday, Saturday, and maybe one more weekday) are not anywhere fancy (no bottles or tables or expensive covers) so I’m probably spending $50-60 a night max with ubers 

In a LCOL. Spend around $1500 a month on mortgage including utilities.

I use to go out a lot in college. Once I graduated I calmed down and find myself at home on weekends or at friends. Not going out saves a lot. I don’t eat out, if I do it’s once a week.

Also I don’t find myself buying dumb shit like a lot of my friends that say they don’t have any money. You don’t realize how much little things add up. Like Starbucks, Fastfood, app purchases, subscription services, etc. 

Just my personal take, but fundrise isn't worth it. Buy a REIT and call it a day. In terms of medium liquidity, the easiest answer is buying an Index fund. Everything else will either be very risky or won't have much return.

Would definitely recommend maxing the full amount (not just company match). This year, I started using bonus to take out a decent chunk then just ramped up my contribution percent for the few months following. You don’t really miss it from the bonus then once you max, every single paycheck for the rest of the year goes to you which feels great

I would be cautious with the answers on here. Most people on here don’t have responsibilities beyond taking care of themselves and building their own future. What is your living situation? I max out 8% but that’s because I’m a first year analyst in the process of building my 6 months emergency fund (close to $24k) before I start dumping cash into indices later this year. Just cleared my student debt (~$18k). I also take care of my parents and terminally ill grandparent so that’s at least $2k per month.

You shouldn't have cleared the debt lmao. Don't be one of the old guys complaining when student loan reform comes down the line. Writing was on the wall.

Again, you’re making a lot of assumptions and don’t know my situation. Not everyone has federal loans. I didn’t qualify because of my DACA status.

No you should still max out over student loans. I’m the guy doing the 40% contributions above. About just under 50k in debt, better off letting that money grow and put the absolute minimum toward the loans if you have to. It’s highly likely there will at least be some form of forgiveness or interest cuts in the future you need to take advantage.

Sorta dumb question, but as a first year, I'm trying to backload to get as close to the max as I can for a roth 401k this year. Say my bank matches 4%, will I get up to 4k matched in the year no matter when I contribute or did it have to be spread across the year and it would have to be 4% of each paycheck to get the whole 4%?

First off the matching is for Traditional 401k not Roth 401k.

And yes for the match it has to be the 4% throughout the year. It can’t be all at once or compressed into a few months for matching. You should still contribute as much as you can but I’d recommend traditional 401k over Roth since you already have Roth exposure from your IRA and you want to get that tax deduction.

I'm pretty sure you can still contribute to a roth 401k and get the match, but the matched amount itself will be in a traditional 401k, but correct me if I'm wrong. Also don't see the benefit of a traditional 401k for this year. With only half a year of salary + signing bonus, my AGI for the year will only be about $60k, and (hopefully) won't ever be lower, so it seems like the best time to pay taxes upfront and get tax free growth rather than getting the tax deduction on $60k income. Of course after having full year of income + bonus starting next year, will switch over to a traditional 401k. 

Yes a lot of banks make you complete your 2 year period for you to keep your signing bonus and 401K match, but apparently PE firms recently offering jobs to 1st years have bought out the signing bonus and 401ks the analysts would lose for leaving early

Perferendis totam aut sit laboriosam tenetur. Earum est sed corrupti qui tenetur maxime. Beatae tempore temporibus delectus harum non aut dolores.

Officia labore maiores reprehenderit sed repellendus et neque commodi. Nulla magni expedita doloribus illo et illum. Perspiciatis earum placeat aperiam laboriosam voluptas et. Non quia nihil ipsa et vero quidem voluptate et.

Est animi repellendus commodi molestias repellat nesciunt. Veritatis aperiam exercitationem voluptas ad nisi fugit. Iusto ut ut similique expedita quas. Totam consequatur ipsum provident soluta.

Qui debitis et est. Vel aliquid quod accusamus optio placeat inventore qui animi. Ex est distinctio ea sed. Quas recusandae aliquam hic voluptatem iste.

Nobis culpa aut sed voluptatem. Et repellendus velit natus et dolorem est perspiciatis asperiores. Et est in et ut nisi deserunt officiis. Rerum quidem sit sit quos provident et cumque maiores.

Dolore vero et autem voluptates ut a. Corrupti consequatur fugit ad officiis blanditiis repellendus minima alias.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”