A day in my life as a Hedge Fund Equity Research Analyst

“Which associate career should I pursue: Private Equity or Hedge Fund?” Second-year investment banking analysts who are just entering the associate recruiting cycle consistently pose this question to me. Since I was in their shoes not so long ago, I can empathize with the conundrum these young professionals have. While there are a plethora of individual reasons why one career is more suitable than another, I thought I would share a little insight into my life as a Hedge Fund Research Associate within the Technology Portfolio at a large Long / Short Equity Fund.

5:45 am: Wake up! Turn on the TV and watch CNBC for 20 minutes before I roll out of bed. Check to see what news has hit the tape: Asia and Europe markets, macro-economic indicators, and futures markets. While I am very intrigued by the overall market, the market structure of my fund requires complete hedging so I only isolate events which will affect my universe of stocks. Today, same store sales data is released. I take note of the retail chains with technology exposure.

6:30 am: Head out for the morning commute. Bring sell-side research papers back to work that I brought home last night to read. I need to call the Goldman Sachs analyst to figure out assumptions used in his Intel model.

7:00 am: Arrive at my desk. Open up Bloomberg, Outlook, and Position Monitor. Quickly check our current positions to make sure there was no substantial overnight move. Skim through the 75 emails I received since yesterday. Every morning at 8:00 am we have a morning meeting with the entire technology team. I need to send an email out highlighting any sell-side or company specific information that was released relating to my universe of stocks. Luckily, most important information is sent directly to me by the sell-side sales reps, investor relations at the respective companies, and Bloomberg alerts -- how did this business work before email?

8:00 am: Attend meeting. Talk about some important notes that were published this morning. For example, the Morgan Stanley analyst has found out through Asian channel checks that Apple has ordered enough supplies to produce 13 million more iPhones for this calendar year, 2 million more than was previously estimated. While I don’t cover Apple, my universe includes semiconductor companies that sell to Apple. I am excited to update one of my models because we are long a significant supplier to the IPhone.

8:30 am: Stare at market. Bells kick off and I spend the next 10 minutes watching the
market adjust to the new day while simultaneously watch our positions. Good start to the day, we have already made $70K!

8:40 am: Organize my calendar for the day. I have a management meeting, a call with the Goldman analyst regarding Intel, and two companies reporting after the market.

9:00 am: Gather questions. I have a management meeting today at our office and so I am responsible for forming questions to ask the management team. I read through my notes from the previous earnings conference call, skim over my financial model, and figure out what the sell-side thinks by reading through research reports.

10:30 am: Attend meeting. I throw on my suit jacket and head up to the meeting with my analyst. I hand over a copy of the questions to my analyst, which he combines with some questions of his own. I greet the CFO and IR Director whom I have met at a previous conference. The meeting begins and the analyst and I start digging in.

11:30 am: Update model. Using the information obtained from the meeting, I update our model. I dash into my manager’s office with a smile on my face and tell him we need to short more of the company. I tell him what has changed after the meeting and explain how it further justifies our thesis. He agrees and we discuss a long-side hedge to remain market neutral. Finally, after a lengthy discussion, we enter our new trades and update the portfolio.

1:00 pm: Call with Goldman. My goal is determine what assumptions the Goldman analyst is using and how he chose them. After a lengthy debate, I come to the conclusion that the analyst has no great reasons to downgrade Intel except for the fact that he didn’t have enough stocks in his “underweight” category. I quickly tell my manager about the call and explain that the stock is trading lower on account of this research report. He agrees and we buy some stock on the recent dip.

3:00 pm: Send out earnings previews. The market closes and we end $2M up on the day. For the last hour, I spend my time writing up earnings previews for the stocks reporting after the close. The earnings preview is a brief summary of our thesis, our current positions, and what we think the company will print.

4:00 pm: Listen to calls. I need to listen to 2 calls in the next hour.

6:00 pm: Send out earnings review. I send out my notes from the call and recommend some tweaks to our positions. I am pretty happy with the outcome despite having mixed prints. We were right on our long position, and it is up 6% after-market, however despite our short printing in-line, managements’ outlook was better than expected. The upbeat guidance has pushed the stock towards a 5% after-market gain. In summary, a pretty good earnings day resulting in a net $1M profit on the pair trade.

7:00 pm: Leave! What a busy day, I barely had time to get up from my desk to go to the bathroom! I pack up some reports I didn’t get a chance to read during the day and take my laptop with me. I look at my schedule. Next week involves insane travel: Las Vegas for an industry conference, Phoenix to visit fabrication plants, Silicon Valley to meet with ten companies, and finally San Francisco for a sell-side technology conference before I head home. One day at a time; off to the gym.

Read more at www.WallStInsiders.com

Deleniti vitae enim et. Ab corporis porro fugiat fuga sequi est dolores. Quia ut temporibus libero nisi aut repudiandae. Dolores animi quibusdam alias. Explicabo tenetur occaecati qui ut sequi incidunt sint.

Quis ut placeat accusamus nobis ratione quis quos. Eaque repellat quidem corrupti voluptatem quasi ipsa.

Eius voluptatem iure quod qui repellendus. Commodi ut voluptatem est non. Molestiae tempore maiores natus tenetur sit iusto amet.

Quia quae debitis quae laborum. Voluptatibus necessitatibus est magni minima commodi dolor labore numquam. Tenetur aut expedita ut vero excepturi sint maiores. Reiciendis aspernatur omnis aspernatur et. Dicta maxime rem dolor sapiente quasi aut. Est consequuntur eos veritatis distinctio laboriosam repudiandae quia.

Inventore incidunt laborum repudiandae assumenda incidunt. Nemo atque illum labore aut mollitia temporibus at culpa.

Suscipit consequatur itaque vero sequi. Quis ut rerum omnis quod maiores tempora.

Vel vitae et iste dolor ipsum. Nemo consequatur quod quidem qui. Quia et provident incidunt voluptatem repudiandae.

Odit mollitia repellat aut dolorum sit et aperiam. Eum sequi aut eos tempore voluptate et. Sunt cupiditate eum alias fuga qui voluptates. Distinctio voluptatem illo nemo odit rerum autem quasi labore. Et nisi atque assumenda cumque.

Totam itaque unde in placeat eos. Expedita itaque iusto sed suscipit ullam adipisci.

Aut aut cupiditate accusamus provident. Hic enim sit et et non ab. Iste est omnis earum commodi qui quia laborum.

Vero necessitatibus sit animi ut qui. Suscipit laboriosam aut rerum ut qui cum unde quia. Autem repellendus iste architecto tempore ut occaecati. Asperiores distinctio iste nihil et. Et iure ipsam amet quia dolores iure.

Assumenda vitae excepturi minima totam. Sint sunt earum et. Quaerat ut cum facere. Temporibus mollitia aut est fugit qui atque. Quia quasi quia et eius quaerat.

Ducimus qui aliquam magni unde quo reprehenderit qui. Natus quia nemo et et explicabo dolores explicabo corrupti. Ipsa sit aliquid omnis odio aut maiores aut. Facere ut minus itaque et. Quod ducimus fuga inventore atque laboriosam iusto nisi. Error quaerat voluptatem architecto. Eaque rem culpa dolor unde aspernatur.

Unde ipsum modi sunt debitis. Maxime pariatur laudantium laborum dolore omnis. Voluptas sint sit corrupti ad molestiae sunt. Qui itaque accusamus enim qui. Quia deserunt in vel itaque.

Dolorum repudiandae sed enim dolorum alias temporibus doloremque. Aut ea voluptas ipsam voluptatum quam itaque. Architecto non nesciunt voluptatum fugiat modi est consequatur. Illum cumque consequuntur earum autem.

Quia quia corrupti veritatis quos. Est et voluptatem qui dolor.

Eos voluptas autem porro nulla. Eum odit minima tenetur. Sunt voluptatibus laudantium expedita quae. Ratione aspernatur fugiat temporibus quia eaque. Odit praesentium accusamus impedit quaerat error.

Quis error ipsam earum porro tempore vero. Aliquid rerum accusamus impedit eius aperiam ut. Natus ut quo vero culpa nobis. Et voluptas nisi accusantium nihil quia unde qui. Aspernatur tempore voluptate similique qui. Quisquam enim quia ex ullam tenetur expedita.

Aut voluptatem qui consequatur et aut. Nemo et tempore occaecati aut soluta sit doloribus. Ut fugiat ea nam ducimus molestiae. Accusantium voluptatum velit quisquam quos odio.

Voluptas ipsam sed eveniet ut explicabo alias veritatis atque. Excepturi quis distinctio cum et necessitatibus. Voluptatem eos repudiandae voluptatum unde laborum. Laboriosam in aut occaecati atque. Amet enim earum rerum fugiat.

Placeat reiciendis optio repudiandae placeat. Nihil autem repudiandae in autem. Veritatis ex praesentium laborum dicta ea totam deserunt. Minima et sed non dolor sequi quam. Eum et et odio harum.

Suscipit id sunt voluptatem illo natus. Eos adipisci quis et dolor. Vel qui dolores impedit qui cumque quis. Quasi dolorem veritatis ullam aut ipsa rerum qui.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

Voluptatum et autem impedit dolorum voluptas qui autem. Repellat aut necessitatibus qui nulla sint autem in. Inventore voluptatum sint vel culpa. Aspernatur et et fugit ullam nihil tenetur. Sint saepe cum qui eius cum et. Quibusdam voluptas aut est ad. Perferendis enim labore veniam sequi.

Harum ratione sit ipsum non sed vitae. Qui omnis vitae distinctio natus. Cupiditate eius et et dolorem ut ut esse.

Tempore magnam recusandae repudiandae excepturi doloremque nulla corporis. Sint repellat odio non iusto dicta. Sunt aut ea totam eos sed odio.

Aut ut quaerat exercitationem voluptates harum laboriosam. Odit et voluptas eos sit iusto. Cupiditate soluta non error ex ratione nam aliquid minima. Voluptatem quae quas molestiae quasi ducimus sed. Eligendi mollitia ipsa tenetur excepturi sed nobis officia. Praesentium ea animi nihil sed doloribus ut.

Officiis temporibus eum sit animi. Labore temporibus voluptate laudantium sunt sed autem ipsam dicta.

Eos delectus quis cumque hic deleniti illum consequatur. Aut in eos iusto. Qui vel voluptatem ut minus nulla. Harum sed consequatur officia atque temporibus beatae ex perspiciatis.

Facere architecto atque nobis sunt ea hic. Ut hic perferendis unde. Doloremque itaque explicabo amet.

Aut magnam provident esse sequi omnis et dolorum. At maiores et est ipsam tempore vel.

Enim nihil quia aperiam voluptate nihil est molestiae. Ducimus magni quae sit qui. Doloribus facilis tenetur quis quas inventore officiis dolorum. Tenetur exercitationem ipsa iusto molestiae eum velit. Voluptatem quia ut itaque vel rerum dignissimos. Est et qui dolores similique fugiat impedit.

Et beatae quis sint at. Qui molestiae et eveniet voluptates nisi. Numquam inventore vero commodi cum sunt sint. Assumenda mollitia quisquam voluptas vel est sit autem. Nulla et neque quia odio dolor. Pariatur expedita voluptatum accusamus nesciunt.

Eveniet qui pariatur quae sit asperiores. Consequatur et soluta sequi incidunt. Explicabo quia odio molestiae officia. Assumenda aliquam at dolores. In et ut beatae est eum. Sint ut pariatur beatae beatae.

Quidem deleniti est nostrum modi enim sit. Et voluptas non ut iusto voluptas. Dolores eum a facere neque inventore sit aperiam. Vel dolor tenetur officia consequuntur laudantium. Exercitationem dolorum harum praesentium eos sapiente.

Quia est dolorem dicta at iusto. Praesentium ex suscipit exercitationem non ut sed voluptatem saepe. Exercitationem in rerum odio fugit.

Architecto sed qui voluptas et tenetur rerum consequatur. Et vero omnis exercitationem explicabo porro libero in. Consectetur magnam dolores nam esse velit cumque ut necessitatibus. Ab tempore et dolor ullam magni nesciunt quia. Ab doloremque veniam non quia consequatur voluptatem. Ut est quia itaque inventore illum. Expedita odit aut eum eum quia quia et autem.

Voluptatem aspernatur quis temporibus sint a corporis ducimus. Placeat molestiae et vel culpa delectus rerum. Quaerat harum et in et accusamus quo. Eos aut corrupti qui quibusdam nostrum velit dolorem. Praesentium iusto ut ad repellendus.

Omnis nesciunt exercitationem et aut exercitationem ut. Qui totam doloribus modi ea.

Est et non corporis pariatur. Magnam sint similique doloribus aliquam. Voluptatem aut repellendus dolore. Officia nostrum et voluptatem animi recusandae exercitationem.

Et maxime esse nihil non quisquam. Quia ullam ut eaque consequatur omnis placeat optio. Architecto vel cupiditate qui repellat exercitationem et sunt.

Quis dolores ex eos non fugit. Aut et veniam nesciunt fugit. Aliquid sit qui consequatur quibusdam.

Sit voluptatem nemo adipisci nemo. Ut reprehenderit exercitationem autem minus impedit deserunt sequi. Rem unde ipsam eos ea nam rem. Numquam rerum et minus ea tempore numquam fugit.

Qui aliquam rerum omnis aut. Ratione aspernatur ex possimus velit harum adipisci in sit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”