BB FT IBD Hiring for Class of 2009

I know there's a lot of speculation regarding how crippled FT recuiting will be for the Class of 2009 (rising seniors), given the markets. Merrill aside, do any full-timers happen to have any information as to how scaled-back the hiring will be? My school recently listed its first FT jobs on the campus career page, and it seems like it's dominated by boutiques (including top ones such as Lazard and Evercore), with BB's represented only by Citi and CS (JPM has other positions listed, but none of IBD).

Any insight is greatly appreciated in advance. Thanks

I also just browsed my campus recruiting site and all BBs/boutiques are there for FT IBD. However about 75% are for positions in our regional area, while 25% is for NY. No firms have S&T spots however, which sucks for me.

I go to a semi-target but even we attracted most of the BB's last year for the fall school-wide career fair. I know people that ended up with offers from this so it wasn't just for show. This year...all I see listed is Morgan Stanley with no additional details on what if anything they are looking for. The BB I summered at told us they weren't doing campus recruiting at all this year.

I've heard European and Asian divisions of banks have been doing pretty well actually. In some cases offices in the Rest Of The World are making huge profits while NYC drags the numbers way down.

Unfortunately BB London offices only really recruit heavily at LSE, Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial College, plus a couple of continental European schools to bring in some foreign language speakers. I think Asia recruits locally as well.

Best Response

Not sure about Europe, but while it is true that Asian markets do not trend with America markets as much anymore (they still do largely), based on a lot of posts I've read here I think theres a misconception about hiring numbers in Asia.

At my BB in HK, I've heard rumors of pretty similair SA conversion rates as in the states (hovering ~50%)while official offers wont be given out for a few more weeks. Someone from MS HK mentioned a similair situation there in another post, and I know for a fact by BB will not be doing fall recruiting in the states as they usually.

For some reason I feel like I've read alot of posts about oppurtunities in Asia but from what I can tell the situation is as bleak here as it is in the states...

of course banks will come to campus this year... to keep up relations. however, they will do their presentations, make plans for summer recruiting and maybe interview a handful of people for FT just to say they did it and hire 1 or 2 if any. thats how i see it.

i mean think about it... some of the summer analysts in my bank got put "on hold" so in the off chance that someone turns down an offer this year the kids that are "on hold" will fill those slots. good luck to all you seniors who couldn't land internships or came late to the party. you should consider corporate finance.

i heard equities in dallas is hiring at Citi

Ignore coverthis.

He is still masturbating over his full-time associate offer where he will be in a position to tell the incoming "immature summer analysts" what to do as well as make more money than them.

Ah the delusions of grandeur...In addition to Liar's Poker, I wonder if he has read Monkey Business.

i can't read. someone read them to me actually, to be precise.

i'm just reporting what our HR department said about recruiting which is that they don't want to go to campus for full time recruiting. that being said, i would imagine they will be on campus for summer recruiting and to keep a presence.

at any rate, good luck, if you don't have a job yet, then you're fucked.

coverthis may be a dick but I'm inclined to agree with him.

big unit, what will they do with half the analysts? I don't know, based on what I saw this summer, probably have them surf the web and pitch deals that will never happen in this environment.

It makes sense to chop from the top and add to the bottom, but the economic fog is keeping MD and hr hesitant. WSJ columnist Stephanie Caparrell confirms that bank strategy but everyone knows that journalists and writers never know chicken shit from chicken salad. My ib contacts says that capital markets have been terrible and the bb opportunities are not coming for a 2+ years. Landing a banking job will be shoving a square block into a triangle hole...better look elswhere. Teach for america, jvc, peace corps anyone?

Sint labore perspiciatis qui ipsum. Error fugit adipisci ipsam eos error deleniti. Quidem vel modi nam rerum minima et occaecati tempore. Sint excepturi inventore facere expedita facilis itaque.

In iure accusamus et cupiditate. Sit perspiciatis cupiditate dolor reiciendis sint non. Porro dolore natus reiciendis. Ad culpa enim rem quo omnis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”