I'm not in secondaries, just regular UMM PE but all my friends at secondaries funds say Jefferies can't run PCA GP-led processes properly...apparently they have to often build a syndicate and then don't manage expectations and lots of groups get cut out from deals despite doing tons of work. I think their experience is more LP-led and they are scrambling to figure out the GP-led dynamic.

As someone who knows secondaries — when syndicates are cut out of a GP led deal it means it’s oversubscribed (I.e, demand for the deal is too high). This is definitely the better end of blowing a process where the client is left with the bag when you under capitalize. Secondary buyers that drag their feet doing M&A level diligence for a GP led SACF only have themselves to blame. Too many shops are trying to break in with traditional PE folks that send 100 DD questions for a $5M allocation on a $750M deal and then get $3M and complain (if they aren’t cut out entirely). Have seen many deals where leads send 60-70 requests and come in with a 100M+ check. 

Most Helpful

Honestly have not been very impressed by any PCA group although Evercore and PJT are solid. Everyone else is pretty much just figuring out how to pitch GP-led deals. We often get shown the most nonsensical GP-led deals where I just scratch my head at how tf that portfolio got constructed. Clear thesis drift and just two of the assets are viable while the other 5-6 (30% of nav or less) are complete dogshit. The last GP-led we did was pitched to us by the manager. The advisor was chosen as a favor and had minimal involvement.

We do a lot more direct secondaries than GP-led but very rarely get pitched good direct deals that are within our mandate. I think the rest of the PCA groups will continue to improve as secondaries mature but currently not super helpful and we do more of our own deal sourcing to get what we really want.

As a PCA banker, I don’t want to come off as defensive cuz I agree with this point. Past two years I feel like the most common thing I’ve heard from buyers is that GP-led deal flow is crap.

Think this is due to 1. Arms race between banks - if one bank doesn’t pick up a deal another one will so everyone is throwing shit at the wall and 2. Sponsor education on what works and what doesn’t.

It’s extremely frustrating when clients simply don’t take our advice so we are forced to try and manufacture an attractive deal. Any GP-led is a matter of threading a needle with respect to valuation, but I do think sponsors are starting to get it.

What about on the LP-led secondaries side for the PCA, Any good players there?

Quaerat voluptates sequi modi. Deserunt reprehenderit totam sunt ullam. Perspiciatis minus facere repellendus et veritatis tempore qui. Quia non odio eos tenetur eos delectus sed.

Dolorem molestiae nesciunt unde animi aperiam rerum repellendus. Nulla natus ad fuga harum. Placeat omnis voluptatem ipsum omnis.

Architecto sit excepturi corrupti ea enim non. Occaecati aut et ratione veritatis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”