Most Helpful

As someone who recently went through the recruiting process I’ll share my thoughts on CS (not claiming to be true or insightful, but will give you a sense of how undergrads are valuing CS).

CS has some very strong groups, namely financial sponsors and leverage finance. Other groups are strong but not top of the street: TMT, industrials, M&A, healthcare. However there are also some groups with reputations of underperforming (real estate, for example). CS tends to do well from exits, especially from top groups, but still mostly in line with Citi, Barclays, and non-top BoA groups.

While most would prefer the other mid-tiers, CS is able to get strong talent because of 1) hopes of landing top groups and 2) they recruit so early and other banks dont usually accelerate until summer so people are “forced” to sign.

The biggest concern about CS is that they will scale back IB in the next 10 years but I think this is unlikely despite what people may think. I’ve heard the opposite anecdotally from CS bankers and there are also instances of CS publicly announcing they will continue to bolster certain IB groups (TMT, for example). Unless there is an exodus of MDs from top groups I would expect CS to continue to compete with the rest of the BBs and hold their spot in the league tables

Agreed with above. Top groups are very strong, better than the top groups at barclays, citi, B of A (with some exceptions). Where they fall slightly behind is with their below average groups. The average groups are on par but their bad groups are bad bad.

Overall CS is very strong in enough areas (sponsors and lev fin is great, they punch above their weight class in equity, one of the best at tech after the top tier banks) and I'm sure they'll hold their mid-tier BB spot

For some reason WSO rags constantly on CS but the firm has placed really well at UMM and some MF PE over the past 3-4 years (particularly from M&A and FSG, but by no means entirely from those groups), especially compared with other mid-tier BBs (BAML, Citi, Barclays).

I have hard data on this, 789 profiles of PE associates scraped from firm websites and LinkedIn. CS places more people (absolutely and per-capita) at top UMM than BAML, Citi, and Barclays. This may be true for MF as well, but that is harder to say decisively for the biggest MFs, as they don't list associates on their websites and have more people overall on LinkedIn with vague titles.

Don't let WSO fool you. CS is highly respected inside the industry and out.

Top groups are lights out for exits and deal flow, and (many people don't realize this) many of the middle-of-the-road coverage groups have great placement as well.

CS also has great culture from what I hear. Good tone set by senior bankers, very few groups are "sweaty" despite strong deal flow

This is Reuter’s: “Under Gottstein's predecessor, Tidjane Thiam, Switzerland's second-biggest bank had repositioned itself to focus on wealth management while whittling down its investment bank.

Gottstein now sees "optimisation potential" within Credit Suisse's investment banking and capital markets division, which has posted consecutive losses over recent quarters, but maintained the necessity of keeping the business.”

CS is still very well-respected within the finance world. Yes, they have been losing market share in deals, but reputation typically takes a few extra years to catch up to the league tables. The best group is the financial sponsors in terms of placement, but other groups with strong placement are their leveraged finance team (a separate group) and their strong coverage groups (TMT, industrials, and healthcare. I have heard power is solid but don't know too much about the space). The difference with CS and other mid-tier banks, from what I have seen anecdotally, is that CS completely disappears in its weaker markets (like consumer retail). However, placement is more about the candidate. If you are at a coverage or M&A group at any of CS, Citi, BAML, or Barclays, expect looks from virtually every headhunter and private equity firm.

Also, CS has the legacy of First Boston and from its reputation in the late 2000s, when it was probably a top 3 bank on the street (and FB was arguably the best M&A house, while DLJ was the best leveraged finance team on the street). It has gotten weaker with time, but the legacy of First Boston and DLJ and the great placement CS had in the 2000s and early 2010s continues today

'Disappears in its weaker markets (like consumer retail)' is just not true. They are the house bank for Nestle and probably have a 20-men army standby for Nestle

Didn't know that, I always thought CS retail was one of the weaker groups. Generally, the strongest coverage groups at CS are sponsors (basically a product group), TMT, industrials, and healthcare (from what I know, and in no particular order besides that sponsors is considered the strongest). FIG is also strong there from what I know

Qui distinctio eius magnam. Atque architecto dicta sunt nam beatae aut. Amet ducimus magni iusto et repellat vel est. Debitis amet saepe est. Sint odit perspiciatis minus facilis.

Saepe quia aut et. Perspiciatis laudantium soluta illum corporis eligendi possimus molestiae impedit. Fuga adipisci aliquid adipisci tenetur nulla quia soluta aliquid. Neque esse neque animi molestiae corporis.

Vel doloribus quaerat enim placeat ut vel. Delectus et porro nemo nulla excepturi sequi ex. Est quia consequatur ut alias possimus.

Maxime dolor dolorem laborum eveniet quia doloremque. Et architecto laboriosam voluptates et illo error odit. Dolorem rerum assumenda voluptas vel omnis. Quidem quidem ut eos vitae debitis consequuntur. Ut dolores corporis exercitationem inventore perferendis. Aut voluptas assumenda et architecto consequatur aut. Quas nobis dolor possimus dolore consectetur distinctio numquam.

Omnis vero dolor quis ut animi totam. Et accusamus ut unde sed quis. Laborum soluta dicta natus maxime a nam iste.

Aut non accusantium eum officiis sunt officiis quos. Quia tenetur odit deserunt quo corporis eveniet. Ut dolorum perspiciatis magnam esse. Similique voluptate numquam adipisci harum quidem ex odit cum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”