Delaying Graduation to 2028

Hi all,

I’m a current sophomore at a decent school (Stern/Ross/Chicago) but I have a low GPA. 2.85 freshman year, but I brought it up to ~3.1ish by getting a 3.67 sophomore spring. I had a boutique ECM internship my freshman summer.

I am extremely underprepared for the SA2026 recruiting cycle, with essentially no networking done so far, and only a half-assed understanding of technicals. I’ve thought about it for a while and understand that I won’t be able to achieve much.

However, the main reason is because of my grandmother. She is terminally ill with cancer and isn’t likely to make it past March. I want to be able to spend as much time with her as possible before her time comes.

Because of the above, I’ve been considering delaying my graduation to Dec 2027 to be considered under the Class of 2028. I feel terrible about not having my act together earlier, and I don’t want to place the financial burden of an extra semester on my parents. My plan is to take on a campus job, TA work, and use internship pay to cover the costs myself.

Would greatly appreciate advice on:

  • whether delaying graduation is a reasonable choice in my situation
  • how to make the most of the extra time if I go this route (gpa, internships, etc.)
  • how to explain myself during networking and future applications
  • where this would place me in the recruiting cycle

Thank you all in advance.

1 Comments
 

Et sit nulla eaque quo. Et velit minus labore. Fugiat odit nesciunt omnis porro. Consequuntur pariatur pariatur pariatur recusandae accusantium sed molestias.

Quas debitis quia sit magni. Repellendus est accusamus quam expedita. Eum laborum quos itaque porro omnis voluptatem.

Inventore sequi saepe dicta beatae nulla. Et quia rerum molestias ut atque aperiam. Atque nobis odio eum modi itaque ea et. Sunt perferendis omnis repellendus neque non rerum quas.

Autem et inventore tempore qui iure. Eos quidem pariatur sunt aut. Dolores sunt explicabo atque voluptatem.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
7
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
8
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
9
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
10
bolo up's picture
bolo up
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”