F500 FLDP v. MSF
Basically, I have a F500 FLDP offer in hand but I really think i'm going to hate corporate finance. I just don't want to get stuck doing accounting type work. I also have an acceptance to a good (but not princeton or LSE) MSF program. I'm considering it because my background is atypical and I didn't have a internship in anything business related but instead in technology. I think if I could get an actual finance internship this summer it might change my fortune for next year because that seemed to be my biggest issue during recruiting.
Stats: 3.5 from target in Econ + student athlete + a few decent extracurriculars + software internship
Let me know what you guys think.
f500 dude.
Take the offer and don't think twice.
Let's see. Earn money now ... vs. ... paying more money for education so you can get a similar/hopefully somewhat better opportunity to make comparable money?
It's not just short term earnings I'm concerned about. It's longterm earnings and doing work that is at least someday interesting. I don't see the likelihood of switching from an FLDP to a lucrative career later on being very good. And I somehow doubt I wouldn't have at least a similar offer next year as hiring is picking up.
Give me ur offer take my IT job
Can't say I think its as easy as above posts describe. I went from corp fin to MFin and never looked back; very happy with decision thus far. Where is your MSF offer from? And what do you want to do afterwards?
Definitely MSF.
http://www.msfhq.com/
Take the year to volunteer and do some good!
i hope it's not washu msf, because the program is mediocre at best and the recruiting at washu is an absolute nightmare (meaning it's virtually worthless)
If you're thinking about longterm, why not stack up work experience in corp fin and get an MBA a few years down the road? I think you're overestimating MsF
why would you be? is that f500 program known to be terrible or what? What kind of program is it?
Are you even looking at the OCR job listing right now? It's been pretty empty for the last couple of months...
Either get into Princeton or MIT. If you don't get in there, don't both. Many kids get into banking/trading from MSF programs, but not everyone. FLDP programs are great and a target for a lot of kids.
Plus you already have an ivy UG. Going to a "lesser" school will dilute your brand.
Do the FLDP and if you hate it after two years, go do an MSF. Best case you get into banking or something, worst case you go back into F500, but in a higher position because corp finance equates and MSF to be an MBA.
if you're just dying to, defer for a year, do the f500 gig for a year. Don't be one of those people who goes through college and grad school without any actual real-world work experience
WUSTL is a very good MSF program.
What makes you think you will get an Asset Management gig after MSF if you didn't get on after UG from a target school?
who is the FLDP with.
FLDP's are great programs. The fact of the matter is you will learn more applicable finance skills in an FLDP program (and probably make 70+ k upon completion of the program) and they will help pay for your MBA.
It sounds like you've already made your decision.
Hate to break it to you, but an MSF isn't going to be the tool that unlocks earning potential of $1MM/year.
have you decided what you wanted to do yet? i honestly think the fldp program will probably give you enough experience to leverage that into a much better job than a MSF will. if you really hate the program, you can find a headhunter and start applying to job postings. if you really think your prior experience will bar you from changing industries or a high level of success, you can go back to get your MSF/MBA/CFA/whatever after your two years.. those opportunities will always be there, but the job won't.
Sunt sed non omnis magnam voluptas ea. Soluta totam mollitia perferendis quisquam vero illo. Quos facere exercitationem vitae et. Nihil optio veritatis odit ad occaecati est. Et dolore delectus quaerat maiores architecto. Numquam earum architecto omnis recusandae amet.
Quibusdam commodi iure tempora voluptatem. Sapiente vero et est ut animi et explicabo est. Consequuntur cupiditate voluptas dolorum doloribus molestias. Quia sequi et aliquid corrupti mollitia aut doloremque tenetur. Maxime alias optio recusandae velit. Pariatur iure placeat distinctio eveniet.
See All Comments - 100% Free
WSO depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something. Unlock with your email and get bonus: 6 financial modeling lessons free ($199 value)
or Unlock with your social account...
Veniam sunt nesciunt sunt. Aut porro qui eaque beatae odit. Sit et ut maiores voluptatibus.
Fuga quaerat non labore impedit. Enim aut laborum ut maiores minus. Voluptatem dolorum impedit vero labore. Animi repellat quaerat eum necessitatibus perferendis nihil vero est. Pariatur possimus similique nostrum eius suscipit.
Non inventore repellendus provident ea. Sed eaque itaque quia possimus dolorem accusantium illum. Non harum officiis qui quaerat aut voluptate sit.
Dicta itaque quae accusantium corporis amet neque. Sunt corrupti nemo omnis porro.