FT Recruiting for 2025

Incoming SA 2024 at a top BB (GS/MS/JPM) in a 2nd/3rd tier coverage group (Not GS TMT, JPM HC, MS M&A)... one of FIG/M&C/HC but not where the bank is known for it.

I'm looking to do full-time lateral recruiting, to place into a top group at a top BB or any EB group.

Have a pretty strong resume: freshman summer at L/S Fund, sophomore summer at good MMPE fund with deal flow, go to a top target (H/W), and have a high GPA. Haven't networked in a while, but want to maximize my chance at lateraling. I am considering these firms:

Moelis M&A NYC

Lazard M&A NYC

Evercore M&A NYC

PJT M&A NYC

GS HC/TMT

MS M&A

JPM HC

Centerview NYC

Buy Side (MF/UMM)

MBB New York

Questions:

1) How hard is FT recruiting from my background and how likely is it that I can hit one of these firms listed

2) How should I go about maximizing my chances

3) When and how should I start. And how do I prepare to maximize my chances.

Most Helpful

Test the waters now. Network with seniors at your school who did it and any safe connections. Start building out a networking list and start discreetly reaching out 1 month into the internship. When you get back from work I would start studying technicals and be able to talk about deals you worked on. I wouldn't network like crazy and I would just network with people from your school or a warm connection. The worst thing would be for someone you're networking with to tell your current bank you're thinking of leaving and jeopardize your chances of a return offer. The main priority would be for you would be to get a return offer - if you don't have one, will be much harder to lateral. Once you get your return offer, let everyone you networked with know you got a return then the process kicks off very quickly. 

Here's my advice as someone who has gone through FT recruiting -

Don't do it/do it wisely. 

To be honest, I think it's a marginal difference in prestige for an unnecessary major change. 

First, you're already at a top BB, but granted not a top group. This isn't a jump from a LMM to a top BB/top EB. You're not starting off at an unknown shop, just at a group you don't particularly like. Also, you will be asked why you are switching, and I don't think that there's a good answer for this besides prestige. In my opinion, this minor prestige change isn't worth the unnecessary stress. 

This ties into my second point - you will be entering at a disadvantage compared to your peers come June. You don't know the layout, you don't know how HR functions, and you don't have a general sense of the culture and the best practices at the firm. Granted, these are things that are picked up easily, but for me, I was unsure about how to proceed, and I felt that I was left behind. Second, you're going to feel like the odd-one-out when it comes time for analyst outings because you didn't have that internship experience. 

Third, your focus should be on securing the return offer. You sound like a driven, smart kid, and I don't think that this would be a problem. But there were plenty of driven and smart kids who got screwed last summer. I wouldn't divide my attention from the main goal - getting a job. 

Fourth, there's potential that this backfires on you. Finance is a small world, and people talk. Hearing that an intern is shopping around instead of working can potentially come back and bite you. The worst case scenario is that MDs talk and you lose out on your current offer and the offer you were seeking for. I will always be on the side of "do what's best for you", but I want you to know that this is a possibility - it's happened before and it's tragic to see. 

Fifth, if you still really want to do this, I would recommend that you lateral internally. Just say that you want more experience in this particular sector/product group, while being respectful to your colleagues. 

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Weigh the pros and cons, and decide what's best for you. 

Et accusantium fuga velit aut sunt est perspiciatis. Hic laboriosam sit exercitationem aliquid. Error sit architecto ea itaque ut. Soluta et repellendus nemo similique. Culpa quis quia quas libero enim omnis. Tempora numquam provident culpa et magni dolores nisi. Nihil molestiae quia maiores dolores qui.

Eligendi aut odit fuga in quia voluptatem. Quaerat sit soluta provident. Enim tenetur illum quasi. Iusto quis laudantium deserunt quo.

Dolor et fuga ut velit quidem est. Et aut quidem molestias beatae facere delectus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”