Incoming GHL SA 2024 Analyst - Worried / Anxious

Hey All! As you all have probably seen, GHL is in the midst of an acquisition with Mizuho - As an Incoming Summer 2024 analyst, I'm now worried about future prospects. Don't know what I quite want to do post-banking, just that I don't want to be a career-banker. A few UMM tech PE firms interest me (Silverlake, Vista, Warburg Tech, etc.) and a few other UMM PEs such as Platinum, GTCR, MDP, and Berkshire are ideal places I'd love to interview it. Should I start looking elsewhere? If so, how can I best set myself up for FT recruiting for 2025?

Also an incoming 2024 SA. Really wonder how this will impact exits. No idea if we’ll still have a shot at places that are similar to historical GHL exits, or whether this means we’ll now have Mizuho-caliber options. I guess time will tell?

Also an incoming 2024 SA. Really wonder how this will impact exits. No idea if we'll still have a shot at places that are similar to historical GHL exits, or whether this means we'll now have Mizuho-caliber options. I guess time will tell?

Same :( What city are you?

Most Helpful

Really wonder how this will impact exits. No idea if we'll still have a shot at places that are similar to historical GHL exits, or whether this means we'll now have Mizuho-caliber options. 

Jesus Christ, you have this completely backwards. Your exits are contingent upon your quality of work, brand name and who you worked under. Being associated with Mizuho does not automatically equal a decline. You will still have "Greenhill" on your resume, work on the same kinds of deals GH has been doing for decades and work with the same people. It is the exact same thing. Only prestige nerds on WSO think of it this way and it's actually nuts.  

Guys nothing is changing they're keeping their brand, office, business cards, etc. it didn't just magically become a shit bank overnight lmao if anything this is good for you guys, as you're now backed by a major corporate. 

Intern in IB-M&A

As someone currently at greenhill (ignore the title), my read is that having balance sheet access will only help.  It's not like we were crushing deals left and right before 

Really reassuring to hear! How’s the sentiment been around the junior team overall if you don’t mind my asking? Are people excited, indifferent, or not too amused about this?

The attitude has been neutral to positive.  With any acquisition there is always an air of uncertainty but, again, it was clear we were losing deals due to lack of balance sheet access.  There’s also a view that the underperforming MDs (who always create the most work) will eventually get pushed out 

The attitude has been neutral to positive.  With any acquisition there is always an air of uncertainty but, again, it was clear we were losing deals due to lack of balance sheet access.  There's also a view that the underperforming MDs (who always create the most work) will eventually get pushed out 

Unease makes sense - Thanks a ton for shedding some more light on it though, means a ton. Any advice for an incoming SA to the firm next summer?

Who knows is my honest answer.  That said, you can look at MD productivity vs peers and make your own bet 

GHL SA return offer rates are piss-poor anyway, heard 2 offers for ~12 interns in LDN '21. Would be more worried about using this as a springboard to secure a different FT role, rather than prestige. Internship will be a great learning experience due to culture and strength of the team.

toooldforthisshit

GHL SA return offer rates are piss-poor anyway, heard 2 offers for ~12 interns in LDN '21. Would be more worried about using this as a springboard to secure a different FT role, rather than prestige. Internship will be a great learning experience due to culture and strength of the team.

Thanks man - Yeah, I'm probably going to re-recruit for FT positions (I'm a Summer 2024, from a non-target, so fingers crossed)

All the Greenhill Analysts and Associates drinking the Scott Bok kool aid in this stream! Very funny to witness.

Greenhill was already in major decline before the Mizuho acquisition. You think having access to a tier 3 bank’s balance sheet is going to radically change things for Greenhill? Maybe if you’re interested in doing shitty DCM deals for the foreseeable future. Greenhill failed - Face it y’all. You think Bob Greenhill would have wanted this 15 years ago? Lol.

The fact is, Greenhill MDs are impotent. Scott Bok is incompetent (except for maybe lining the pockets of other MDs). Why don’t you see Evercore or Moelis considering an acquisition? Because their MDs are effective and those banks are actually run well.

Talent leakage and further brand decline will happen gradually over the next several years. But, let’s face it, Bok already ruined the brand before the acquisition. Just look at the reaction across the street, DD, and on WSO - People are laughing behind your backs GHL FTEs.

Stop drinking the kool aid.

Voluptas aut totam molestiae dolor maiores pariatur. Debitis ut illo unde eum est hic. Ad atque ut odit quidem. Enim atque aperiam velit voluptas dolores voluptatem.

Blanditiis est magni quod placeat magnam nihil quis. Aut quis voluptas laudantium similique numquam in non. Adipisci officia sint sed dolorum ut dolores.

Cum ex consequatur qui neque. Labore dolor dignissimos dolore. Quidem rem repellat aut adipisci doloremque a. Totam nulla qui omnis voluptatem libero est eligendi. Necessitatibus corporis possimus dignissimos ut minus quisquam et id. Quod quasi qui ea quis et asperiores laboriosam deserunt.

Repudiandae et sint delectus sed corporis. Et consequatur odio iste nemo voluptatem eveniet. Ab amet sunt impedit aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”